Macron is not dumb. This is BAD!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Macron is not dumb. This is BAD!

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:30 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 pm
Are you suggesting that the pipeline, had it been finished, would’ve resulted in significantly cheaper fuel at the gas pump?

- Doc
No. What is not clear about that?

Well, it’s a good thing that we didn’t have to wrangle through another 10 years of eminent domain lawsuits and pipeline spills for nothin’. : D
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:36 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:54 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb that crude production investment trepidation might be slightly more reflexive of recent memory of millions of barrels of oil being sold off for free, more-so than a single transportation infrastructure project being a long running political hot potato.

Not just free oil, but 14,913 crude contracts traded hands at negative prices in a single day. Investors literally bought futures contracts for crude oil for free, and still lost their asses (by almost $40 a barrel). Just one investment brokerage firm (Interactive Brokers) had to get $88 million out of their own reserves to help cover the losses of investor customers. That was just from the investors that couldn't cover their own losses at a single broker... on a single day.

That's not even taking into account the current state of wonkiness in how the investor class is operating (taken a look at dividend yields lately, in comparison to stock price performance? It's bonkers. Think Ford investor shenanigans on steroids.).

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/a ... in-History
You are on very solid ground. You are not on a limb.
Of course he is.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Binger wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 pm

Are you suggesting that the pipeline, had it been finished, would’ve resulted in significantly cheaper fuel at the gas pump?

- Doc
> “The other problem I identified was that a capital infrastructure project (Keystone) was cancelled after it was contracted and permitted. The solution for that is to not have politicians cancelling capital projects based on willy-nilly ideological B.S..”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

I'm going to go out on a limb that crude production investment trepidation might be slightly more reflexive of recent memory of millions of barrels of oil being sold off for free, more-so than a single transportation infrastructure project being a long running political hot potato.

Not just free oil, but 14,913 crude contracts traded hands at negative prices in a single day. Investors literally bought futures contracts for crude oil for free, and still lost their asses (by almost $40 a barrel). Just one investment brokerage firm (Interactive Brokers) had to get $88 million out of their own reserves to help cover the losses of investor customers. That was just from the investors that couldn't cover their own losses at a single broker... on a single day.
The draconian Covid response certainly did help to make gasoline more expensive which is what people like Gunnar have wanted all along.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 pm

The draconian Covid response certainly did help to make gasoline more expensive which is what people like Gunnar have wanted all along.
Well you can thank Trump for that. He threatened Saudi Arabia with military action if they didn't slash production.

Seriously, why are you so ignorant and pig headed about this issue? Your points are easily debunked. You clearly have zero understanding of market forces, all you do is regurgitate Brietbart.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm
Binger wrote:

> “The other problem I identified was that a capital infrastructure project (Keystone) was cancelled after it was contracted and permitted. The solution for that is to not have politicians cancelling capital projects based on willy-nilly ideological B.S..”

- Doc
Again, no one knows WTF you're even talking about. For someone who has a record number of posts in the short time he's been here, you sure don't like engaging in actual dialogue huh? You're so cryptic about everything.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Well you can thank Trump for that.
Look we know who you are and what your position was on the scamdemic over the past three years.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:55 pm
Well you can thank Trump for that.
Look we know who you are and what your position was on the scamdemic over the past three years.
Ajax, just face the facts. Your boy was in power when COVID happened and he screwed the proverbial pooch every way imaginable. It is an indisputable fact that he is the reason Saudi Arabia slashed production dramatically, creating massive supply shortages for the recovery. You've never once addressed any of these points, but just keep regurgitating idiotic right wing talking points about "gubment regulayshuns." I've already proven this is false. The reason oil companies aren't producing as much as they could is because they're still trying to make up ground for all the money they lost when Trump was President. Many of them went out of business under his watch and it freaked him out, which is why he needed help from that Muslim country that attacked us on 911.

Hell, I even provided a survey of oil executives who overwhelmingly stated the reason was because of this and nothing to do with regulations. That's just a popular talking point because it is easily absorbed by simple minds who can't think dimensionally.

Over 100 oil and gas companies went bankrupt in 2020

Deborah Birx Says Trump Officials Made Her Change COVID Data Sent To States
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 pm
I don't think Trump's action plan issued to Governors was draconian. It was a bit bizarre that he decided to criticize Governors for following it, beginning just days after issuing it, but draconian? Meh.

Seriously though... I think with the series of ball fumbling, poor communication, political gambling, mixed messaging, and PR gaffs galore, from the WHO all the way down to local health districts; there's plenty of introspective mistakes to be carried by all (although the likelihood of us all being able to effectively implement the lessons of those mistakes for inevitable future global pandemics is likely low).

I very much doubt anyone had negative consequences as the desired result in any of it. No one (at least I hope no one) wanted economic suffering, or death, or high prices, or overcrowded hospitals, or [insert thing we ended up seeing, if only transiently in some instances].

There were certainly people who saw negative consequences as acceptable outcomes for other attempted goals, but I don't believe those negative consequences were anyone's end goal or even hopeful goal. At least no one in the position of policy maker, that is.

Evil geniuses are much less rare than well-intentioned people who misjudge things, or make mistakes without being able to see just how complicated things are and how people and markets will respond. The world is messy when medical ethics, economics, politics, global policy, international relations, philosophy, and history all have to come together in an attempt to do the most good while mitigating the most harm (both short term and long term). Theory, practicality, and reality sometimes come together like mint and citrus.
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:55 pm
Ajax, just face the facts. Your boy was in power when COVID happened and he screwed the proverbial pooch every way imaginable. It is an indisputable fact that he is the reason Saudi Arabia slashed production dramatically, creating massive supply shortages for the recovery.

Trump asks worldwide oil producers to cut oil production = Trump is awesome and supports ‘Muricans!

Biden asks Saudi Arabia to increase oil production = Biden Bad, made oil prices go up!

Attachments
46E67AA7-3139-4CAC-A4FE-EDB3348CB506.jpeg
46E67AA7-3139-4CAC-A4FE-EDB3348CB506.jpeg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 336 times