Macron is not dumb. This is BAD!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Macron is not dumb. This is BAD!

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:06 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:22 pm

Asking Saudi to accommodate the USA is normal.
Not knowing what OPEC can do, and getting caught on camera getting bossed by Macron, priceless.
You're probably the only person on the planet who thinks this is "getting bossed." Good grief. Seriously? I mean, THAT'S what you were getting at?
Among other things.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:26 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:22 pm

LOL. Nice bafflegab, but not responsive. The price elasticity of supply for today's onshore tight-oil wells is much greater than that of offshore wells. That you assume that what you know about the economics of offshore drilling applies to onshore tight-oil production shows that you don't actually understand supply and demand.
That is effing hysterical. mmmmmmmkay Res. Go ahead. Play the man again and then teach us. This is rich and awesome. Because offshore and offshore have different economics, that means I don't understand either and that means that cancelling capital projects because of feelings and favors is okay. Gotchya buddy. Go on. Fill us in on the economics.
My original statement was completely non-controversial. U.S. proven oil and natural gas reserves are heavily influenced by the market prices for fossil fuels, which are set by worldwide markets. That's because the cost of production for tight-oil is relatively expensive compared to conventional wells. If the price of oil or gas increases, more sites become profitable to harvest. So, all other things being equal, the increase in crude oil and natural gas prices would lead to more drilling of wells and production of product. That's what was expected at first with the price increases -- that the tight oil producers would jump back in. When they didn't, the people who keep track of such things talked to the producers to find out why. Links have been posted that provide the results of those enquiries: hesitancy based on getting burned by the price crash during the pandemic and demand for returns by investors who, in the past, had been wiling to have profits invested in the business as opposed to taking profits. None of them are talking about the Keystone pipeline, which has zero effect on domestic fossil fuel production.

But the real bottom line is that total U.S. domestic production of natural gas and oil is heavily dependent on price, which is not in control of the U.S. government or U.S. oil producers. It does no good to hold auctions of millions of acres of land if it's so expensive to produce that it's not profitable. The same with the promise of future infrastructure. If the price isn't high enough to make a well profitable today, infrastructure 10 or 20 years down the road doesn't matter. So, increasing U.S. production requires high prices.

But let's look at this little narrative you've crafted a little more closely -- adding some context. For some reason, you think the Biden administration doesn't know anything about the limits of OPEC production capacity based on an incident a day or two ago. Yet, there are are all kinds of article in the mainstream media about this very thing that were published earlier this month. Here's one: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/03/oil-mar ... evant.html. There are dozens and dozens of articles. We know the theoretical maximum production of each OPEC nation and how much they are actually producing. To claim that Biden and his administration are somehow unaware of facts available in any newspaper is, well, dumb.

And here's the context. Macron isn't dumb. But he did have an agenda at the G7. Here it is: https://www.politico.eu/article/g7-summ ... il-prices/ That's right -- Macron's agenda is global price controls on oil. So, what you're relying on is a statement by Macron, who is pushing an agenda that needs to assume that increased production cannot lower prices, of what MBZ, whose country profits from high oil prices, told him about how fast Saudi Arabia could increase oil production. And you take all that at face value. And you also ignore that OPEC has already committed to increase production -- at a rate it accelerated at the beginning of the month.

In short there's nothing here. Macron's description of a phone call with MBZ doesn't give us any information we didn't have weeks ago. And wanting to create a public image of unity among the G7 is barely a story at all.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:30 pm

No. What is not clear about that?
> “The other problem I identified was that a capital infrastructure project (Keystone) was cancelled after it was contracted and permitted. The solution for that is to not have politicians cancelling capital projects based on willy-nilly ideological B.S..”

- Doc
Are you suggesting that the pipeline, had it been finished, would’ve resulted in significantly cheaper fuel at the gas pump?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

What Binger ignores is that Keystone was illegally started again by Trump which is why there were several pauses in construction after one federal judge after another blocked it and the Canadian company behind it decided it wasn't even worth building anymore because oil prices had plummeted.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Here’s a good timeline of events for the pipeline:

https://ballotpedia.org/Keystone_XL_Pip ... l_timeline

Afree only 9 months post-reauthorization by the Trump Administration, and at only 8% completion, it still managed to spill about 5000 barrels of oil on at least one occasion.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:41 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm

> “The other problem I identified was that a capital infrastructure project (Keystone) was cancelled after it was contracted and permitted. The solution for that is to not have politicians cancelling capital projects based on willy-nilly ideological B.S..”

- Doc
Are you suggesting that the pipeline, had it been finished, would’ve resulted in significantly cheaper fuel at the gas pump?

- Doc
Bump for Binger to address.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.