"Fatphobia" Is Based In Racism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Norman
Nursery

"Fatphobia" Is Based In Racism

Post by Norman »

https://youtu.be/xAny7B_Xruw

Fatphobia is a real problem in our racist society. I mean, the plus size community needs love too! Body shaming is racist, it's demeaning, it often makes our pleasantly plump brothers and sisters feel "less than", even though they're "more than"! The video I provided is a great example of how the hefty community is fighting for equality and for a seat at the table for marginalized victims.
Chap
God

Re: "Fatphobia" Is Based In Racism

Post by Chap »

It is hard to tell whether the video is intended satirically or not. Whatever its intentions, its basic thesis is clearly false.

On the other hand, whatever the origins of a particular person's obesity, mockery and prejudice are never appropriate responses.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I disagree. First of all, your BMI has nothing to do with your race. Calling fat-shaming "racist" is simple mislabeling.

I also have a hard time believing fat people aren't heard, as though they don't have "a seat at the table." Trump is a fat “F” and way too many people listen to him.

But the bottom line is that it helps nobody to act like being obese is an alternate but equally valid lifestyle choice. If that's the case, suicide is a lifestyle choice. There's such a thing as healthy shame, and feeling shame for being overweight is potentially very healthful, assuming something is done to alleviate that shame besides accepting obesity.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I only watch 1 out of about every 20 videos you post Mike, and I've got a few more to let go before I click on one but if you can time this one in again maybe another 5 socks and 7 links out I might check it.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:07 pm
I only watch 1 out of about every 20 videos you post Mike, and I've got a few more to let go before I click on one but if you can time this one in again maybe another 5 socks and 7 links out I might check it.
This.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I thought the young woman's comments were exaggerated, a bit silly . Tying fat to racism is absurd. However the stupid male commenting about her comments did not even bother to understand what she was saying. Why would I want to listen to such stupid commentary even if I do not agree with the fatphobia presentation?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:49 pm
I thought the young woman's comments were exaggerated, a bit silly . Tying fat to racism is absurd. However the stupid male commenting about her comments did not even bother to understand what she was saying. Why would I want to listen to such stupid commentary even if I do not agree with the fatphobia presentation?
But, you did. So, perhaps you should ruminate on that publicly so we can share in your process.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:49 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:49 pm
But, you did. So, perhaps you should ruminate on that publicly so we can share in your process.

- Doc
Well I am put on the spot and must explain. I did not know what I was getting myself into when I started to listen. I failed to get beyond half way, a reaction which is the source of my comment about not knowing why I would want to listen. I found with experiment that I did not want to listen any further.

A simple observation is that the young woman said fitness excercise for health and to be able to do various activities made sense. She was complaining about having cosmetic concerns only. I would not share her fussiness about reasons but she clearly was not making a blanket condemnation of fitness exercise. The male talk over spoke as if she was.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The Part of Christian Family Values and worrying about gRoOmInG:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.