The Democrats War on the White Working Class

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

The Democrats War on the White Working Class

Post by Hawkeye »

The co-author of the book that predicted President Barack Obama’s rise to power, The Emerging Democratic Majority, has left the Center for American Progress for the American Enterprise Institute.

Why is Ruy Teixeira leaving the most prominent liberal think tank for a conservative one?

“It’s class,” Teixeira told Michael Schaffer.

“I would say that anybody who has a fundamentally class-oriented perspective, who thinks that’s a more important lens and doesn’t assume that any disparity is automatically a lens of racism or sexism or what have you … I think that perspective is not congenial in most left institutions,” Teixeira said.

Teixeira went on to recount how his idea to start a “Bobby Kennedy Project” that would appeal to the black and white working class together was ignored by CAP. “We did have some conversations with people in and around the foundation world, and nobody wanted to touch it,” Teixeria said. “People were leery of talking about the white working class, as if it was de facto racist.”

The antipathy white educated elites like those at CAP have for the white working class is well-documented. One recent paper found that white college-educated people have far more bias against less-educated whites than they did against any other group.

The reason for the antipathy is simple: Today’s Democratic Party believes that unequal outcomes only exist because of racism or sexism. If white people are poor or uneducated, therefore, it must be their own fault.

This bias against the white working class has made it tempting for Democrats to write off these voters entirely. “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania,” Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) famously said in 2016, “we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

Unfortunately for the Democrats, Schumer’s math doesn’t add up. More than 6 in 10 people do not have a college degree.

Until Democrats stop making every issue about race, expect them to lose more working-class voters and more scholars who focus on working-class issues, like Teixeira.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 127edfd414
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Moksha
God

Re: The Democrats War on the White Working Class

Post by Moksha »

Is that you AtlanticMike?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What Xanax thinks the white working class was like up until the Clintons came around:

-Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:26 pm
The co-author of the book that predicted President Barack Obama’s rise to power, The Emerging Democratic Majority, has left the Center for American Progress for the American Enterprise Institute.

Why is Ruy Teixeira leaving the most prominent liberal think tank for a conservative one?

“It’s class,” Teixeira told Michael Schaffer.

“I would say that anybody who has a fundamentally class-oriented perspective, who thinks that’s a more important lens and doesn’t assume that any disparity is automatically a lens of racism or sexism or what have you … I think that perspective is not congenial in most left institutions,” Teixeira said.

Teixeira went on to recount how his idea to start a “Bobby Kennedy Project” that would appeal to the black and white working class together was ignored by CAP. “We did have some conversations with people in and around the foundation world, and nobody wanted to touch it,” Teixeria said. “People were leery of talking about the white working class, as if it was de facto racist.”

The antipathy white educated elites like those at CAP have for the white working class is well-documented. One recent paper found that white college-educated people have far more bias against less-educated whites than they did against any other group.

The reason for the antipathy is simple: Today’s Democratic Party believes that unequal outcomes only exist because of racism or sexism. If white people are poor or uneducated, therefore, it must be their own fault.

This bias against the white working class has made it tempting for Democrats to write off these voters entirely. “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania,” Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) famously said in 2016, “we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

Unfortunately for the Democrats, Schumer’s math doesn’t add up. More than 6 in 10 people do not have a college degree.

Until Democrats stop making every issue about race, expect them to lose more working-class voters and more scholars who focus on working-class issues, like Teixeira.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 127edfd414
Thank you for posting this, Ajax.

I rarely agree with you, but you're right about this. Ruy Teixeira is right about this. The progressive obsession with sussing out all the nuances of identity is killing us. The Democratic party should be focused on building things. We've abandoned the working class. We've shrugged off unions. We're more focused on Ideas than we are about things. It's killing us.

edit to add: Here's a link to a Politico article on the same subject.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... e-00045819
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I think you are right Morley.

Thinking of the tv(abc) coverage of Biden visit to Saudi Arabia I do not think Fox could have hurt Biden more.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

How is white working class not an identity?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:55 pm
Are you referring to a white, heterosexual, Christian, mother who has a union job/career and two kids and identifies as a woman? Or, did you have something else in mind?

Narrowing the affinities could help us answer the question.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:25 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Are you referring to a white, heterosexual, Christian, mother who has a union job/career and two kids and identifies as a woman? Or, did you have something else in mind?

Narrowing the affinities could help us answer the question.
Why do identities have to be narrow?
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Are you thinking in terms of going along with the proposed white nationalist fascism replacement for America?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:23 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Are you thinking in terms of going along with the proposed white nationalist fascism replacement for America?
Nope. I just think lots of folks were happy with Identity politics when their identity was in charge.
he/him