The Hispanic vote.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

The Hispanic vote.

Post by Markk »

This post is not scientific , but observational. i have worked with and manage a mostly Immigrant Hispanic work force for the past 20 plus years. Of the workers I manage, may (the very most) are immigrants some here legally, others not. There are a few supervisors I manage that I am close with and can discuss politics with openly.

One in particular, who is here legally (green card) from Baja California, who is very very intelligent and not the typical uneducated immigrant the work in the trades (his parents are teaches in Mexico) is a interesting model for the changing view of the Hispanic vote.

Basically in my discussions with him, and my general observations over the years is that most Hispanics are conservative by nature, but this is trumped by a “what can they do for me attitude.” My friend did not like Trump, based on this model, however he is largely in line with conservative values, both fiscally and socially. When we get deep into the issues he typically agrees with these conservative ideologies, but would in the past still vote blue in that they had more to offer, with basically free things.

However his attitude is changing. When i asked him how he felt about Biden about 5 months ago on this, his quick response was “he does nothing for us.’ Biden is a joke in his world, and can see the weakness he presents, and even though the free things exist here in California, overall he feels that Biden has nothing to offer. I suppose I need to go back and ask him exactly what he meant by that. ( I will next week).

But anyways in talking with these folks i get the impression that the Hispanic vote, in regards to Immigrant Hispanics, is turning in a big way, and is certainly something to keep and eye on and from what a hear and read if this is true across the board, then this will certainly not turn out well for the left in Nov. and 24.

Thoughts, and if you have any questions I can ask my friend let me know and I will ask him?
drumdude
God

Re: The Hispanic vote.

Post by drumdude »

The midterm elections are forecasted to be a large win for Republicans. This is due mostly to the fact that Republicans are more easily united together on the issues, where as the left is consistently divided against itself.

A lot of Hispanic culture is still very machismo, and it doesn’t surprise me that this guy thinks Biden being weak is some sort of measure of his ability as a leader. Rather than carefully studying the political issues and positions. Most Americans don’t study then either and just go off whatever Fox News and MSNBC tell them to think.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Markk wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:22 pm
Basically in my discussions with him, and my general observations over the years is that most Hispanics are conservative by nature, but this is trumped by a “what can they do for me attitude.” My friend did not like Trump, based on this model, however he is largely in line with conservative values, both fiscally and socially. When we get deep into the issues he typically agrees with these conservative ideologies, but would in the past still vote blue in that they had more to offer, with basically free things.

However his attitude is changing. When i asked him how he felt about Biden about 5 months ago on this, his quick response was “he does nothing for us.’ Biden is a joke in his world, and can see the weakness he presents, and even though the free things exist here in California, overall he feels that Biden has nothing to offer. I suppose I need to go back and ask him exactly what he meant by that. ( I will next week).

Mark, It is possible that your view that what Hispanics want despite their conservative values is more free stuff might be seen as insulting. Does your source know that is how you read him? Is he providing you a view tailored to be closer to your views?

What weakness does Biden present , how can he be a joke?

///
drumdudes comment makes me wonder if it is a physical presentation thing. Trump has square ,I am a strong guy face and Biden is looking older and a bit frail in comparison.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

CNN agrees with you:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/opinions ... index.html

My main disagreement:
but this is trumped by a “what can they do for me attitude.”
quite literally.
When i asked him how he felt about Biden about 5 months ago on this, his quick response was “he does nothing for us.’
Right, same as every white conservative Trump supporter out there; what is the president going to do for me? Trump is going to make America great for me. There is simply no comparison anywhere to the entitlement of a white Trump supporter. (Let's get on the counter reset; I don't have all day)

The irony is building a wall to block out your most promising voter base. However, maybe even that is inspired rhetoric if not policy.

My non-scientific examples. I jumped on a shuttle to the airport one day and had a 45 minute talk with the Hispanic lady who was driving. It was during 2016 elections. She went on and on about how much she loved Trump. I was stunned. But what about the border? Her reasoning? "He's so funny." Latin America loves an authoritarian leader who puts on a show, I've come to learn. When I asked her about the border, she said it doesn't matter because she knows all the crossing points and it's already locked down as much as it ever will be. She went on to talk about individual crossing points. I didn't ask her this: "Okay, since building a wall doesn't matter because it's already locked down 99% of the way, aren't you the least bit concerned then about spending billions of dollars on a wall that doesn't do anything?"

The subtext of the conversation got me seeing things differently. She had hers. What good can come from letting more people in to dilute the salaries of good-paying jobs like she had? And since then, I've had a few other run-ins that seemed to bolster this idea; immigrants saying, "we can't just let anybody in!"
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:41 pm
CNN agrees with you:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/opinions ... index.html

My main disagreement:
but this is trumped by a “what can they do for me attitude.”
quite literally.
When i asked him how he felt about Biden about 5 months ago on this, his quick response was “he does nothing for us.’
Right, same as every white conservative Trump supporter out there; what is the president going to do for me? Trump is going to make America great for me. There is simply no comparison anywhere to the entitlement of a white Trump supporter. (Let's get on the counter reset; I don't have all day)

The irony is building a wall to block out your most promising voter base. However, maybe even that is inspired rhetoric if not policy.

My non-scientific examples. I jumped on a shuttle to the airport one day and had a 45 minute talk with the Hispanic lady who was driving. It was during 2016 elections. She went on and on about how much she loved Trump. I was stunned. But what about the border? Her reasoning? "He's so funny." Latin America loves an authoritarian leader who puts on a show, I've come to learn. When I asked her about the border, she said it doesn't matter because she knows all the crossing points and it's already locked down as much as it ever will be. She went on to talk about individual crossing points. I didn't ask her this: "Okay, since building a wall doesn't matter because it's already locked down 99% of the way, aren't you the least bit concerned then about spending billions of dollars on a wall that doesn't do anything?"

The subtext of the conversation got me seeing things differently. She had hers. What good can come from letting more people in to dilute the salaries of good-paying jobs like she had? And since then, I've had a few other run-ins that seemed to bolster this idea; immigrants saying, "we can't just let anybody in!"
One of my clients is a doctor and he flipped out two years ago when he found out i didn't support Trump. He insisted the reason he never votes Democrat is because he doesn't want his taxes to go up. That's it. He quite literally said, "Vote with your wallet." Meaning, vote for whoever is going to give you more money.

Of course his argument about Biden increasing the tax rate 3% on him was completely bogus because he didn't understand how progressive tax rates work. He said he "might" make $400,000 the next year and Democrats make it a disincentive for anyone to try to progress financially because the more they make the more they have to pay, and like Rush Limbaugh used to argue he said he'd be effectively bringing home less money because of said tax increase. I had to explain to him that the 3% increase would only be on anything OVER $400,000. His response was "who told you that?" I said my accountant. He then stopped talking about taxes as a reason to vote Republican and shifted gears to nonsense about Democrats killing babies.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Markk wrote:
When i asked him how he felt about Biden about 5 months ago on this, his quick response was “he does nothing for us.’ Biden is a joke in his world, and can see the weakness he presents, and even though the free things exist here in California, overall he feels that Biden has nothing to offer. I suppose I need to go back and ask him exactly what he meant by that.

Markk, if you interpret this statement as translating into a vote for a Republican candidate, what is it that you suppose the Republican will need to ‘give’ to this voter to remain in his good graces?
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Markk wrote:
This post is not scientific , but observational. i have worked with and manage a mostly Immigrant Hispanic work force for the past 20 plus years. Of the workers I manage, may (the very most) are immigrants some here legally, others not. There are a few supervisors I manage that I am close with and can discuss politics with openly.

One in particular, who is here legally (green card) from Baja California, who is very very intelligent and not the typical uneducated immigrant the work in the trades (his parents are teaches in Mexico) is a interesting model for the changing view of the Hispanic vote.

But anyways in talking with these folks i get the impression that the Hispanic vote, in regards to Immigrant Hispanics, is turning in a big way, and is certainly something to keep and eye on and from what a hear and read if this is true across the board, then this will certainly not turn out well for the left in Nov. and 24.

Thoughts, and if you have any questions I can ask my friend let me know and I will ask him?
Lately, here in the Southeast, I hear black people talk about how displeased they are with President Biden.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

msnobody wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:27 pm

Lately, here in the Southeast, I hear black people talk about how displeased they are with President Biden.
What are they displeased about?

Presidents do not have supernatural power to fix everything. Some individuals might claim that if given enough dictatorial power they and only they can fix everything.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:56 pm
msnobody wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:27 pm

What are they displeased about?

Presidents do not have supernatural power to fix everything. Some individuals might claim that if given enough dictatorial power they and only they can fix everything.
They are displeased with Biden for the same reasons that non-black people are displeased. Christ. This is not that hard.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Ruy Texeira came up with the idea that Democrats were going to hold a supermajority because as the minority population increased and the white population declined, so would the Republican party. I believed him at the time. But I'm starting to see that many hispanics, especially in Florida, share the same views as working class whites when it comes to abortion, coerced celebration of homosexuality, expensive climate change policies, COVID lockdowns, communism, and even border enforcement. I sincerely doubt they care more if you refer to them as latinx than they do about the rate of inflation or the price of gasoline.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas