History of Music

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: History of Music

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:40 am
Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:37 am

2:00 AM Paradise Cafe
Nay, jazz. No?
And Blues. Listen to the track, “Blue,” with Sarah Vaughn.

edit: Jazz and Blues are siblings joined at birth.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:17 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:47 pm
Any fans of blues and rock and roll here?
I will confess two things here. One rock has not been the kind of music I listen to the most for a good number of years now. I still listen to it sometimes. Second confession is almost painful. I never, never, never,never would have admitted it during the 1960s or70s or... and I do not intend to dispute Jersey girls expertise. During the 60s I would vote Highway 61 as best and rolling stones close. Looking back I find no escape , the best rock roll group was the Beatles. I do not feel personal affection for them. I had no crush, Paul was cute and I didn't care. He is however a very special musician and the group put the best of each together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98U74J1psE

Some commentators in say 1961 thought rock and roll was about to die out. Perhaps a wishful thought by somebody.

Revolver was the first Beatles album I purchased back then. I did think highly of it then.

Interesting. It's okay, what kind of music do you listen to the most?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:44 am

Morley, My best friend was a strong fan of Nina Simone going back to the 60s. I did not get a recording for myself. My friend has passed , I should rectify my music lacuna.
You'll love her, Huck. She wears well with age.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:47 am

Ah. And do you consider the pentatonic scales to be the common DNA? Or, are you referring to their birth dates and not just their common elements?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:47 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:40 am

Nay, jazz. No?
And Blues. Listen to the track, “Blue,” with Sarah Vaughn.

Interesting album. Never been into Manilow but I could listen to that again.

To your point, Night Song started on a pretty distinct variation on a blues 12 bar progression that it played with. If the ask is to find blues influence, I'd agree it's there.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

SHUT. UP.

My Life as a Rolling Stone (EPIX 2022 Series) - Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppshKwdd1-s
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

"Mick, ya ignorant..." (jump to minute 5:00)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:04 am
"Mick, ya ignorant..." (jump to minute 5:00)
Yeah, I've seen that before.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:08 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:41 pm

For what is as a base a pretty simple idea the blues exist in really wide variety of forms. They have also influenced every part of American music. Everywhere has been touched.
Everywhere has been touched? Show me where on Barry Manilow.
Jersey Girl, I get your objection a bit at least. I have not followed Barry Manilow much. I admit there is American music which keeps well away from the blues. I thought the fellow with the bubbles might come to mind. I was thinking of how broadly spread the blues can be. That does not ignore the BB King, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf music which was important for the Stones. I think a person could picture a tree trunk, Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and say that is the main line. The difficulty is this picture ignores a lot. I think the blues are much more of a bush well hybred with Jazz.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:52 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:17 pm

I will confess two things here. One rock has not been the kind of music I listen to the most for a good number of years now. I still listen to it sometimes. Second confession is almost painful. I never, never, never,never would have admitted it during the 1960s or70s or... and I do not intend to dispute Jersey girls expertise. During the 60s I would vote Highway 61 as best and rolling stones close. Looking back I find no escape , the best rock roll group was the Beatles. I do not feel personal affection for them. I had no crush, Paul was cute and I didn't care. He is however a very special musician and the group put the best of each together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98U74J1psE

Some commentators in say 1961 thought rock and roll was about to die out. Perhaps a wishful thought by somebody.

Revolver was the first Beatles album I purchased back then. I did think highly of it then.

Interesting. It's okay, what kind of music do you listen to the most?
DoubtingThomas, I think of myself as listening to a variety of music. It could include Brahms or Prokofiev but jazz would be the most. I even listen to Merle Haggard sometimes.

A ways back in this thread you asked people about a list. Hendrix, Stones, Cream , Grateful Dead, Nirvana ,Bob Marley.Music from each of these is well entrenched in my memory except for Nirvana. I am vaguely familiar with them, well hardly. I do not know if I am unusual but probably not entirely. It is an age thing. Nirvana falls outside the edge of the time I was most interested in current popular music. I started exploring back in time to older music.

I think there is a time period in a person life during which they get most attached to specific music. Of course I have heard newer music which I notice is good but I have not followed it very closely.

About the list, I am a long term Dead fan, loved Viola Lee blues back in 1967.