History of Music

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: History of Music

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:48 am

I think it's near impossible to discuss the early Rock of the 50's as a stand alone topic. I would say that the Rock n' Roll that we think of as early Rock, borrowed from Swing, Jazz, Gospel, Hill Billy (as it was called back then which we now call Country), Blues, those sorts of styles.

huck mentioned the Stones. The Stones made it big by covering American Blues music (Chicago Blues) playing in clubs and later, the music of Chuck Berry (etc) and then they perfected (that's debatable) composing and producing their own music. I believe they got their hands on American Blues to begin with and when Rock n' Roll from America hit the UK, they borrowed from those artists. Keith Richards was enamored of Chuck Berry and some of Keith's riffs are admittedly stolen goods. Their early albums contained tons of covers and only a tiny bit of original music.
Useful information. Thanks.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:39 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:51 pm

Do you know what the term Rock n' Roll is a reference to?
Do you think "early rock" (a sub-genre of Rock) and "Rock n' Roll" are the same thing?
Well...as I stated, Rock n' Roll wasn't a stand alone genre in and of itself. It evolved out of other styles of music. When I, personally, think of Rock n' Roll I think mainly of the 50's. Because it rocks AND rolls. It's the syncopation of the music. The beat.

I don't think of the Stones or the Beatles as Rock n' Rollers, though they were heavily influenced by the pioneers of Rock n' Roll. I think of their early music, primarily as British Rock or Mersey Beat.

If you are familiar with the Beatles catalog, you can see clearly how the band and their music evolved. Same thing with early Rock n' Roll.

If I have time later, I will search up some comparisons for you. I have some in real life tasks to take care of first. Meanwhile, watch for comments by huck and MeDot. They know whereof they speak. 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:52 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:48 am

I think it's near impossible to discuss the early Rock of the 50's as a stand alone topic. I would say that the Rock n' Roll that we think of as early Rock, borrowed from Swing, Jazz, Gospel, Hill Billy (as it was called back then which we now call Country), Blues, those sorts of styles.

huck mentioned the Stones. The Stones made it big by covering American Blues music (Chicago Blues) playing in clubs and later, the music of Chuck Berry (etc) and then they perfected (that's debatable) composing and producing their own music. I believe they got their hands on American Blues to begin with and when Rock n' Roll from America hit the UK, they borrowed from those artists. Keith Richards was enamored of Chuck Berry and some of Keith's riffs are admittedly stolen goods. Their early albums contained tons of covers and only a tiny bit of original music.
Useful information. Thanks.
This is a difficult topic to contain because it's going to blow up like a spider web of sub topics and influences.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:35 pm
Big Mama Thornton Hound Dog. Elvis Presley had to hear it here first. Ditto Janis Joplin for Ball and Chain.
Exactly!

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

DT just to complicate matters more...you'll notice I mentioned Hill Billy music earlier. This is going to blow your mind. Hill Billy music was influenced by other genres as well. Example, that will blow your mind. One of the heavy influences in Hill Billy music was Celtic music because a ton of the Irish and Scots immigrants settled into the Southern states. If you listen to Hill Billy fiddles or music specific to Appalachia, those are Celtic influences.

:o

These aren't easy topics to contain!

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:02 am

These aren't easy topics to contain!
Yep, I can see that :lol:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:02 am
If I have time later, I will search up some comparisons for you. I have some in real life tasks to take care of first. Meanwhile, watch for comments by huck and MeDot. They know whereof they speak.
Please, take care of what you have to do first. I think this should be enough for now.

But I'll have more questions later. ;)
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Admission of Guilt: I spelled Hillbilly wrong in every post where I mentioned it. :oops:

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

DT I think if you can make a list of questions for us relating to one era, we might be able to reply more completely, but don't count on it. One decade carries over to the next and as I indicated, the music of each era wasn't birthed alone but rather carried with it influences from the past and on and on it goes to whatever is popular today.

Example, there would be no Aerosmith without the Stones, there would be no Stones without the Blues, Early Rockers or even the Beatles.

It's like a gigantic family tree only it's all musicians and styles. Generations upon generations.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

DT here's a Wiki on Rock n' Roll! :mrgreen: See if there is something here that can help contain this discussion. I would have looked for a wiki earlier if only I hadn't lived it. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aSx2kzB9VI
example of Northwest early rock. Not as fancy was well produced later records. It was the sort of thing that traveled about the northwest playing in small auditoriums, roller skating rinks etc. Crowds got drunk and danced in chaotic fashion. White kids learning black kids music and sometime being an inspiration back. Hendrix mentions spanish castle magic a reference to this groups home base venue.

kingsmen copied the Wailers (this group) version of Loui loui.

Jersey Girl is completely correct that all popular music is part of a broad net of interconnected types and influences. Genre or sub genre are arbitrary to a large degree. (which section of the record store is this one supposed to be in?)