History of Music

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: History of Music

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:48 pm

If you ask a new(ish) band/project what kind of music it is, you'll generally get something along the spectrum of "I don't know, it's kind of like..." or "it's a mix of..." Yet, most people who listen to it will be able to immediately pigeonhole it into a genre or subgenre.

Basically, outside of your main formulaic genres and their key components, there's often plenty of variation and prior influences to wiggle in disagreements of exact dividing lines.

In this feller's opinion, that is.
It makes sense.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:05 am
DT I think you should ask questions. We don't know what you want to talk about if you don't.

Anyway...you might consider this an example of influence on American music culture at least. I can't prove that MJ lifted this move from Elvis, but I'm pretty sure he didn't invent it. If you look at early performances of Presley where you can see his whole body, you'll see that he used this move repeatedly. MJ actually borrowed from other dancers that predate Presley. He didn't invent the Moonwalk. He copied it.

Interesting. I will. : )
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

I think you can get to Rock and Roll from different paths. My brother bought Jackie Wilson's Lonely Teardrops when I was about 8 years old, and I remember listening to it over and over. You had Elvis, the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly, but a lot of pre-Beatle American Rock was out of R & B. Isley Brothers Twist and Shout. Ben E. King's Stand By Me. Stevie Wonder's Fingertips Part 2. Doris Troy Just One Look. The Contours Do You Love Me? But when you listen to the Righteous Brothers' Little Latin Lupe Lu the color divide is pretty non-existent.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

From the intro of this song, which style is being used (it was borrowed from Jazz)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNBRnkAbhys

Does someone know how to count the beats in music? There is a repetition, we can count up. When we hear the section repeat, we can start over at 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

Hopefully, someone knows. The first one could be Pagode, Swing, Bossa Nova, Boogaloo, or Samba.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:23 am
I think you can get to Rock and Roll from different paths. My brother bought Jackie Wilson's Lonely Teardrops when I was about 8 years old, and I remember listening to it over and over. You had Elvis, the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly, but a lot of pre-Beatle American Rock was out of R & B. Isley Brothers Twist and Shout. Ben E. King's Stand By Me. Stevie Wonder's Fingertips Part 2. Doris Troy Just One Look. The Contours Do You Love Me? But when you listen to the Righteous Brothers' Little Latin Lupe Lu the color divide is pretty non-existent.
Yep. True.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:48 pm

If you ask a new(ish) band/project what kind of music it is, you'll generally get something along the spectrum of "I don't know, it's kind of like..." or "it's a mix of..." Yet, most people who listen to it will be able to immediately pigeonhole it into a genre or subgenre.

Basically, outside of your main formulaic genres and their key components, there's often plenty of variation and prior influences to wiggle in disagreements of exact dividing lines.

In this feller's opinion, that is.
So it wouldn't make sense to say that "early rock" is a subgenre. Correct?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:37 am

I was in a band called Sounds Unlimited in the early 60's. (Sounds Unlimited won out over The Pendletones, which was the original name of the Beach Boys). We drew a lot from the Wailers.
Cool. I bet all the girls were after you.

So, did you travel a lot?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:35 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 am
?
No idea. It links to a post in a different thread. Carry on.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
DT I think you should ask questions. We don't know what you want to talk about if you don't.

Anyway...you might consider this an example of influence on American music culture at least. I can't prove that MJ lifted this move from Elvis, but I'm pretty sure he didn't invent it. If you look at early performances of Presley where you can see his whole body, you'll see that he used this move repeatedly. MJ actually borrowed from other dancers that predate Presley. He didn't invent the Moonwalk. He copied it.
How crazy, I thought Jackson had a very original style. Wow

Jersey Girl wrote:

Elvis was probably like a god at the time. I'll go to see Elvis movie this weekend.