History of Music

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

History of Music

Post by doubtingthomas »

Is "early rock" a subgenre? When did "early rock" begin and end?

Who were the famous "early rock" musicians, how did they influence American culture, and what was their main message?

Asking because I honestly don't know anything about music.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Re: History of Music

Post by doubtingthomas »

Or any rock subgenre from the 50s to 70s. Did someone like Rock back then?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Elvis Presley, message, I like girls.
Chuck Berry, message I like guitars and girls.

for time period consider Stones, start first half1960s and they are still going now, Jersey Girl has lots of links.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:28 pm
Elvis Presley, message, I like girls.
Chuck Berry, message I like guitars and girls.

for time period consider Stones, start first half1960s and they are still going now, Jersey Girl has lots of links.
Would you know how the Stones influence American culture?

And do you think "early rock" is a subgenre?
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Big Mama Thornton Hound Dog. Elvis Presley had to hear it here first. Ditto Janis Joplin for Ball and Chain.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:36 pm
Or any rock subgenre from the 50s to 70s. Did someone like Rock back then?
I almost hate to ask this here because someone is going to answer the question instead of WAITING for you to answer it and respect my exchanges with you. But...let's start at the beginning.

Do you know what the term Rock n' Roll is a reference to?

I swear, you guys, STAND DOWN and let him answer.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:51 pm

I swear, you guys, STAND DOWN and let him answer.
I have zero intent of getting in the way. I keep the path to the popcorn out of the middle of the room for a reason.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:

It started as a racist code but Freed changed the meaning of the phrase.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Do you think "early rock" (a sub-genre of Rock) and "Rock n' Roll" are the same thing?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:26 am
Jersey Girl wrote:

It started as a racist code but Freed changed the meaning of the phrase.
I will give you my answer. Alan Freed? Okay, fine but he didn't invent the phrase. The phrase rock and roll dates back centuries. As it is used in reference to what we think of as early Rock, it is a reference to sex. I am relatively certain it was used to reference sex long before that.

Think about that for a moment and you'll get the idea. If you need help forming the image, think about the multitude of early Rock music references to girls and cars. Uh huh. ;-)

Rock wasn't invented and certainly not by Alan Freed. Rock (what we think of as early or classic Rock, the pioneers of Rock, that sort of thing) evolved from other styles of music.

I think it's near impossible to discuss the early Rock of the 50's as a stand alone topic. I would say that the Rock n' Roll that we think of as early Rock, borrowed from Swing, Jazz, Gospel, Hill Billy (as it was called back then which we now call Country), Blues, those sorts of styles.

huck mentioned the Stones. The Stones made it big by covering American Blues music (Chicago Blues) playing in clubs and later, the music of Chuck Berry (etc) and then they perfected (that's debatable) composing and producing their own music. I believe they got their hands on American Blues to begin with and when Rock n' Roll from America hit the UK, they borrowed from those artists. Keith Richards was enamored of Chuck Berry and some of Keith's riffs are admittedly stolen goods. Their early albums contained tons of covers and only a tiny bit of original music.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!