History of Music

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: History of Music

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:35 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:29 am

Perfect! It's for the 1969 concert. 11th minute.
I'll check it right now. I know they had other types of percussion/rhythm instruments at Hyde Park 69. I don't know if they used them for Satisfaction.

I shall return.
I had to use a different video of the same song. They're using the same instruments, Keith isn't using the same Telecaster that he used in the previous video I showed you. He's not using the fuzz pedal.

So the same drum set, guitars and no fuzz pedal or fuzz box.

I think the additional instruments I mentioned were used for Sympathy for the Devil only at Hyde Park '69. They aren't being used for Satisfaction.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

DT if I had to say what the main melody is of Satisfaction (going out on a limb here) is, I'd have to say it's the riff that plays throughout the song. The lyrics are essentially being driven out with nothing I would describe as a melody.

Tempo? I have no formal music instruction to base this on. I guess I'd say it was a hard driving repeating tempo.

ETA: Shut up. I just did a quick search. I guess the tempo is beats per minute? I know what that is!

If it's bpm, honor shared with me years ago that there are websites for beats per minute of possibly every song imaginable online. I've used them for exercise playlists. You can check those for Satisfaction re: Tempo.

I would say that the tempo used at Hyde Park '69 Satisfaction was much slower than usual. I don't know what it is.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:46 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:45 pm

Jersey Girl, I get your objection a bit at least. I have not followed Barry Manilow much. I admit there is American music which keeps well away from the blues. I thought the fellow with the bubbles might come to mind.
Ha!

Pete Fountain, Tailgate Blues, on Lawrence Welk. 1958.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=177FhhFJWtE

The Big Band sound had a solid foundation in The Blues. Something my dad would have hated to admit.
Hi Morley ,
Even the bubble fellow, well even in very conservative circles dixieland got a pass. I do not know quite why. well maybe it had blues which people have a hard time not liking but was not quite so in your face black

Big Band, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. I think rhythm is at the heart of the blues. It does not have to be big beat but it does have to swing and generate propulsion I think.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:42 am
DT if I had to say what the main melody is of Satisfaction (going out on a limb here) is, I'd have to say it's the riff that plays throughout the song. The lyrics are essentially being driven out with nothing I would describe as a melody.

Tempo? I have no formal music instruction to base this on. I guess I'd say it was a hard driving repeating tempo.
Tempo.
what I remember of the tempo is that it was exactly this time of year. Hotter than blazes. A few friends and I had driven to a neighboring town to watch some boat races. Not really exciting races but an excuse to drive about some distance and hang out. The radio was repeating Satisfaction on a cycle of every ten minutes start over. I am not sure of the technical term for that tempo but it was way outside of the normal one.Electric.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:55 am
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:44 am

Morley, My best friend was a strong fan of Nina Simone going back to the 60s. I did not get a recording for myself. My friend has passed , I should rectify my music lacuna.
You'll love her, Huck. She wears well with age.
Morley, thank you for the little push.
nelik
Nursery

Post by nelik »

i think old music and hits are better than new... now we don't have good music...
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:14 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:46 pm

Morley, thank you for the little push.
When you hear about the song Strange Fruit, most people think of Billie Holiday. Nina Simone's live performance is the most unforgettable for me.

Give it a listen on YouTube.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Binger wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:59 am
Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:47 am

edit: Jazz and Blues are siblings joined at birth.
Ah. And do you consider the pentatonic scales to be the common DNA? Or, are you referring to their birth dates and not just their common elements?
Binger, I find this question and invitation to consider and review. I have no reason to think I am an expert but even so I have found the subject interesting. To the question I do not think there is any sure right or wrong view. It asks what are the blues at the heart of blues. It also asks when blues and jazz first started. The start of blues is not really known or perhaps it is not possible to assign a start. The blues may well be a coalescence
traditions and inventions in the 19th century. No recordings. I once fell into a folk music class review at university of Iowa where professor had a 19th century banjo. It was large , fretless, and had a carved devil head for its head. Fretless it could combine strong rhythm and all sorts of slides and blues notes. It sounded like some wicked blues but what did it sound like in 1875? There is no knowing beyond noticing what sounds it seems designed to make or emphasize. It is also a reminder that the banjo now associated with bluegrass white fellows and even young white women is actually an African instrument played by African Americans in the 19th century.

It is almost true that either blue note or minor pentatonic scale at least touches all blues. I checked a couple of books noted blues music. Ledbetter songs, sugar in the gourd is straight minor pentatonic and nothing else while midnight special is in a regular major key no additions. I thought of Love in Vain, Johnson, and notice it is in straight major key giving it an odd light feel except for one note, flat seventh, in one place. It is a critical point in the song however.

It has long been noted that blue notes or pentatonic scales come from Africa and would have been bouncing around in America for well more than 100 years before somebody first said , I heard blues music.

I think the ideas making the blues are rhythm and ways to combine that with assertive rhythmic melody.Call and response which invites inventive musical replies to phrases which are the jumping off point for jazz as well as a staple for blues. I think blues songs are more personally assertive than European folk and song music. This is not an absolute difference but I think has transformed American music. In blues, "I woke up this morning , looked around for my shoes, had this mean ol feeling called the walking blues" there is a big emphasis on that I. White folk music is long on stories good bad or ugly about other people who stand in for expression. In the blues it is i. as in I can't get no satisfaction, or I am a man, spelled mahn , or I went down to the station......
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:59 pm
In the blues it is i. as in I can't get no satisfaction, or I am a man, spelled mahn , or I went down to the station......
So many incredible points in your post, huckelberry.

But this one actually gave me the chills. Literally. I felt that line viscerally. And I could hear Harlem Slim saying "me and the devil blues." Whether it was death or walking, it was someone telling their story. "There were 9 men going to the graveyard but only 8 men coming back." Even that, was about digging my grave with the ace of spades.

When I taught my kids to play slide, we went to a goodwill store and found an electric guitar. We brought it home, and I told the kids they had to take the thing apart and build a one-string instrument. They had two pickups from this junk guitar and the entire guitar had to be disassembled and made into two one-string instruments. One kid made his with a fret board, the other one made his with a 2x4 and an empty Bundaberg bottle as a tuner. Those old blues instruments were an inspiration. I obviously gave them bad instructions because the guitar only had one jack. Oh well. It was sorta a good idea.

Thanks for the post, huck. Nicely done.

sidenote. Way back in the day over at Cherry we had a semi-weekly art project. One week it was repetition. I bought a bucket of sheetrock screws and found an old weathered board. I projected Robert Johnson onto the board and traced the shadows. I then drilled THOUSANDS of sheetrock screws into this board to fill the shadows and make a silhouette image of Johnson.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Binger wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:59 am
Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:47 am

edit: Jazz and Blues are siblings joined at birth.
Ah. And do you consider the pentatonic scales to be the common DNA? Or, are you referring to their birth dates and not just their common elements?
Binger, I just saw this, while reading Huck's response to you in the post above this. I'm happy you could join, as I kind of wondered what it would take to coax you into the lair. I don't doubt that you have some interesting perspectives.

I thought that Huckelberry's response was beautiful--and worded much better than mine would have been.