Pioneer Day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Pioneer Day

Post by Gunnar »

Happy Pioneer Day everyone! As I write this, I am watching an excellent musical celebration by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on the BYU Channel of the day the Mormon Pioneers arrived safely in the Salt Lake valley 175 years ago, after their long trek from Nauvoo, Illinois, fleeing the religious persecution inflicted on them by their enemies. As all of us with present or prior affiliation with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints know, this is a big official state holiday in Utah. I always enjoyed the 24th of July celebrations and activities. As most of us here know, to Mormons all over the world, and most Utah residents in general, this is as big a celebration every year as the 4th of July. It brings me fond memories.

ETA: Here is a write up about it from Deseret News for all who are historically minded. Why America needs Pioneer Day this year more than ever It is quite an interesting article, well worth the read, describing, among other things, the uniqueness of the early Mormon Pioneer communities and how the farmers lived in close-knit towns and communities centered around their houses of worship, not on their farmlands, which were located outside the city limits.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.