Political Views

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Political Views

Post by bill4long »

1. When was the last time you changed someone's mind about a political view? If so, what was the issue(s)?

2. Has anyone ever changed your mind with regards to a political view? If so, what was the issue(s)?

(Bumped to ‘non LDS’ forum, from Terrestrial -cp-)
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Re: Political Views

Post by Hawkeye »

1. I've seen people change their views on environmentalism/cost of gasoline, state of the economy, Covid lockdowns, Biden's competence, etc. But I think most of this was just due to the laboratory of life experience. What I was saying and had earlier predicted started to match their own experience in real time.

I used to believe that the confederates meant nothing but rich aristocrats who owned and abused slaves as portrayed on television during the 80s. As I've learned the real history, I've come to realize that the confederates were actually the common poor people rising up against the wealthy northern overlords in an effort to hang on to their constitutional rights, state sovereignty, land, and homes.

2. BYU professors changed my mind on evolution from what I had learned as young lds in seminary. I no longer see evolution as being incompatible with scripture. I do still believe that there is a God who did have His hand in our creation. I still don't believe it all happened randomly.

As a young man I didn't believe that men could be sexually attracted to men. I now think it's possible that nature played a trick on some people. But I still believe homosexual relations are sinful.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:08 pm
But I still believe homosexual relations are sinful.
FFS, Hawkeye. Let that go, you will live better.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

When I first started posing here, ldsfaqs believed that the 2008 housing crisis was cause by the government. I put forth some lengthy arguments showing how the proliferation of Collateralized Debt Obligations and the separation of loan brokers from the viability of the loans themselves helped precipitate the crisis. I actually thought that facts were the thing that would change his mind. Oh well.

I don't know that you change your mind because of one thing someone said. If and when a person changes their mind, it's not unlike what is happening with certain members of the GOP right now with respect to Donald Trump. It's an accumulation of facts over time.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

bill4long wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:35 am
1. When was the last time you changed someone's mind about a political view? If so, what was the issue(s)?
Last week. Religion.
bill4long wrote:
2. Has anyone ever changed your mind with regards to a political view? If so, what was the issue(s)?
Not a single person. It was more of an ongoing experience that stretched for several years debating and playing devil's advocate a lot on the old ZLMB forum. Some probably remember me posting as Aselahx, and I was a hardcore Republican who supported Bush, McCain and Palin regularly.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:04 pm
bill4long wrote:
Last week. Religion.
bill4long wrote:
Not a single person. It was more of an ongoing experience that stretched for several years debating and playing devil's advocate a lot on the old ZLMB forum. Some probably remember me posting as Aselahx, and I was a hardcore Republican who supported Bush, McCain and Palin regularly.
Bush and McCain weren't really hardcore Republicans.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:28 pm
Vēritās wrote:

Last week. Religion.

True. Bush governed from the left of his campaign and Clinton governed to the right of his campaign. But Kevin may have still been a hardcore Republican. But damn...... McCain and Palin? yuck.

Kevin, were you on the wrong side of Prop 8 and SSM too? Yowza. Hell. Even Olson and Boies got together to put that mess to rest.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:28 pm
Vēritās wrote:

Last week. Religion.

They were more Republican than Trump, that con artist you worship who once got it right when he said "Historically the US economy tends to do better under Democrats."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I have a tendency to be conservative in my views, but I have trouble with that tendency due to all the nuttery that goes along with the extreme representatives of conservatism.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 am
I have a tendency to be conservative in my views, but I have trouble with that tendency due to all the nuttery that goes along with the extreme representatives of conservatism.
Good arguments can be made for conservatism, but nobody makes or listens to them these days. Debate has been replaced with over-the-top irrationality in the GOP (because it's much easier for morons to be irrational than to make arguments based on facts).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.