Republicans Hanging Veterans Out to Dry as Usual

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Republicans Hanging Veterans Out to Dry as Usual

Post by Vēritās »

The PACT Act initially passed with strong bipartisan support, 84-14, earlier this month. The Act would provide healthcare to struggling Veterans. But when the bill came to a new procedural vote on Wednesday, 30 Senators flipped their votes to NO, all Republicans, causing the bill to fail in the Senate. Why? Because Biden already got two big wins with his two bills fighting inflation and the chip shortage. Three wins would be too much for them to process, so let's allow veterans to pay the price!!

Senator Chris Murphy explains how this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRiHnc0B3VY

John Stewart went absolutely berserk when he heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPqYhkIzrA

How do Republicans sleep at night? How do the idiots at FOX have the audacity to talk about the "radical Left" when their party went off the cliff years ago? How do they whine about Democrats being divisive?

On a related note I was watching some Youtube clip talk about a great piece of legislation I hadn't heard much about, passed into law by Donald Trump back in 2018. It was the First Step Act, and presented as proof that Trump can't be racist and Republicans care more about incarcerated black people than Democrats.

"The First Step Act sought to address racial inequities and to lessen punishments for nonviolent drug offenders. As such it was part of a broader prison reform conversation happening at the state level. California and Florida had already adopted far-reaching amendments to their own sentencing laws."

It reduced mandatory sentencing and lessened the penalties for using crack. Other noteworthy reforms of the 2018 First Step Act included:

- Modifying the way that good-time credits are computed for federal inmates
- Requiring inmates to be housed within 500 miles of their homes or families
- Increasing the use of home confinement and halfway houses
- Prohibiting the use of shackles or restraints on pregnant inmates
- Providing female inmates with free tampons and sanitary napkins
- Making it easier for elderly or terminally ill inmates to obtain compassionate release. (Many federal inmates attempted to obtain compassionate release during the COVID-19 pandemic, with mixed success.)

All in all a sound piece of legislation that makes sense. What they didn't mention is that it passed with support from 100% of the Democrats in the House and Senate while the only people to vote Nay were Republicans. Had Dems been half as obstructive as FOX and Friends likes to portray, they could have easily scuttled this piece of legislation and made Trump look like a guy who couldn't get anything done... but you know what? They did the right thing and supported it because the bill was good legislation.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Re: Republicans Hanging Veterans Out to Dry as Usual

Post by Vēritās »

I'm surprised no one has commented on this. This has to be one of the worst moments in US Congressional history. I mean the outright dereliction of duty cannot be more obvious as Congressional Republicans decided more veterans should have to die if it means sticking it to the libs. They can't say they're opposed to this because of added spending because that is a lie. The bill is identical to the one that got 84 Senators to support it just last month. The only reason to suddenly do an about face while groups of Veterans are outside the building waiting to celebrate, is because they're being vindictive and trying to punish Democrats for having the audacity to pass a sweeping inflation reducing bill. They're upset that inflation will be going down because that hurts their chances at reelection. They put themselves before party and then party before country. They should all be removed for violating their oaths.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

What's to say? Republican Congress continues to act the way it has been acting for years. What's to say when outrageous conduct becomes the norm?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Vēritās wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:30 pm
I'm surprised no one has commented on this. This has to be one of the worst moments in US Congressional history. I mean the outright dereliction of duty cannot be more obvious as Congressional Republicans decided more veterans should have to die if it means sticking it to the libs. They can't say they're opposed to this because of added spending because that is a lie. The bill is identical to the one that got 84 Senators to support it just last month. The only reason to suddenly do an about face while groups of Veterans are outside the building waiting to celebrate, is because they're being vindictive and trying to punish Democrats for having the audacity to pass a sweeping inflation reducing bill. They're upset that inflation will be going down because that hurts their chances at reelection. They put themselves before party and then party before country. They should all be removed for violating their oaths.
I have to agree with Res. It feels less like news and more of what was the norm during the Obama administration after the House flipped in 2011. McConnell made a name for himself picking up the mantle of Gingrich in ensuring obstruction of the other side became the only job of Congress. What became fascinating was how difficult they found shifting gears in 2017 when the GOP assumed full control. It turned out to be quite hard for them to reverse those habits and start doing more than enact the other phase of the opposition by filling judicial seats left vacant by obstructing Obama nominations.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Republican Senators gathered in a circle after vetoing the Veteran's Health Care bill and gave each other a fist bump.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace