Polio...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Polio...

Post by Res Ipsa »

...was not on my 2022 Bingo Card. https://www.health.ny.gov/press/release ... _polio.htm

Then again, neither was Monkeypox.

COVID is, though, and will be through the end of my days.

[Required description of link: Polio case found in upstate New York, followed by detection of virus through wastewater testing. Unvaccinated residents are urged to get vaccinated. Now. The area has a shockingly low rate of two-year olds vaccinated for polio.]
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Morley
God

Re: Polio...

Post by Morley »

Though most of my siblings are among the most conservative Donald Trump devotees in America, none have ever tilted anti-vaxxer. You see, my mother had polio.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Morley wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:36 am
Though most of my siblings are among the most conservative Donald Trump devotees in America, none have ever tilted anti-vaxxer. You see, my mother had polio.
Damn, I’m sorry. So did the first lawyer I worked for. Had an obvious limp, but didn’t need a cane until he got older.

We’re not all that far from times when disease was a terrible thing in the US. And it still is in parts of the world.

My generation has been pretty lucky. And spoiled.
he/him

Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Indeed. Most of our wounds today are self-inflicted: School shootings, obesity, isolation. But I’m sure we can rustle up another pandemic. One that’ll really knock us to our knees.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Are conservatives insisting that the polio vaccine be discontinued in the Red States?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 am
Are conservatives insisting that the polio vaccine be discontinued in the Red States?
We’re specifically talking upstate NY. But the color of the state isn’t the important part. Antivaxxers trended blue until the merger with MAGA. Upstate NY tends more red, but I think it depends on the location. I haven’t seen polio vaccination really singled out, but they attack the whole childhood vaccination schedule so maybe polio is thrown in with the others. Honestly, the idea of kids in the US being infected with polio should be unthinkable.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:14 am
Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 am
We’re specifically talking upstate NY. But the color of the state isn’t the important part. Antivaxxers trended blue until the merger with MAGA. Upstate NY tends more red, but I think it depends on the location. I haven’t seen polio vaccination really singled out, but they attack the whole childhood vaccination schedule so maybe polio is thrown in with the others. Honestly, the idea of kids in the US being infected with polio should be unthinkable.
Rockland county, where this polio thing surfaced, is beautiful (I hiked through Harriman State Park) and it appears to be politically left-leaning at ~ 63% D vs 37% R (refs: wiki and rockland.gov). This anti-vax thing, well, it’s hard to say how it goes amongst the voters. I have a SIL who is a turboMormon, college educated, and votes D here and there, but is also an antivaxxer. It’s really something to see when a seemingly normal person’s eyes get wide and then they go off the deep end.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:48 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:14 am

Rockland county, where this polio thing surfaced, is beautiful (I hiked through Harriman State Park) and it appears to be politically left-leaning at ~ 63% D vs 37% R (refs: wiki and rockland.gov). This anti-vax thing, well, it’s hard to say how it goes amongst the voters. I have a SIL who is a turboMormon, college educated, and votes D here and there, but is also an antivaxxer. It’s really something to see when a seemingly normal person’s eyes get wide and then they go off the deep end.

- Doc
The person who was infected is a member of an ultra-orthodox Jewish Community in the area that has been target by anti-vaxxers. I doubt politics is a good explanation for this case.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I doubt it's political, either.

in 2019 there was a severe measles outbreak, mostly in just 3 communities in the same county where the polio case is. If I recall correctly, more measles cases were recorded in these three towns than in the entire US the year before. Here's a pretty good summary:
Challenges to overcoming the outbreak

Reasons for the outbreak include people who refuse to vaccinate, anti-vaxxers and, largely, parents who “create their own immunization schedules by delaying vaccinations” – all of which leave children vulnerable to vaccine-preventable disease, according to Ruppert.

The outbreaks in Rockland County were largely among children in the Orthodox Jewish communities whose parents refused to vaccinate them. Living in clusters, which is common in the Orthodox Jewish community in New York, helps encourage measles to spread.

Of the confirmed and reported measles cases as of August 26, 91% of the people infected had either not received the MMR vaccine or had no record of receiving one. Two doses of MMR are 97% effective against measles, according to the CDC.

The state was having trouble communicating effectively with its Orthodox Jewish community about the dangers of the measles outbreak. The New York State Health Department spent tens of thousands of dollars creating and distributing measles information sheets in Yiddish to hang on the doors of more than 45,000 homes in those communities.

But the Yiddish was mangled. The effort to present important measles information to this community in different ways, such as through WhatsApp and news phone lines, came six months after the outbreak.

It wasn’t until June that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed legislation that removed nonmedical exemptions from school vaccination requirements.

Another challenge to the measles crisis was anti-vaxxers who specifically targeted the Orthodox Jewish community, spreading claims that vaccines caused conditions such as autism and sudden infant death syndrome.

“Vaccines have been thoroughly tested and are safe, effective and lifesaving,” Ruppert said. “To prevent possible future outbreaks, it’s essential that all children who will receive vaccinations receive them on time.”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/health/m ... -county-ny
the legislation Cuomo signed was to prohibit children and teenagers who were not vaccinated from being in public--schools, malls, outdoor spaces, everything. If I recall correctly, at that point the Rabbis of the communities became more strongly involved, and were instrumental in communicating good science, and encouraging vaccinations.

It was a crazy event to watch unfold, just miles from where we are. The news was quickly surpassed however by all things COVID.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:08 pm
I doubt it's political, either.

in 2019 there was a severe measles outbreak, mostly in just 3 communities in the same county where the polio case is. If I recall correctly, more measles cases were recorded in these three towns than in the entire US the year before. Here's a pretty good summary:
Challenges to overcoming the outbreak

Reasons for the outbreak include people who refuse to vaccinate, anti-vaxxers and, largely, parents who “create their own immunization schedules by delaying vaccinations” – all of which leave children vulnerable to vaccine-preventable disease, according to Ruppert.

The outbreaks in Rockland County were largely among children in the Orthodox Jewish communities whose parents refused to vaccinate them. Living in clusters, which is common in the Orthodox Jewish community in New York, helps encourage measles to spread.

Of the confirmed and reported measles cases as of August 26, 91% of the people infected had either not received the MMR vaccine or had no record of receiving one. Two doses of MMR are 97% effective against measles, according to the CDC.

The state was having trouble communicating effectively with its Orthodox Jewish community about the dangers of the measles outbreak. The New York State Health Department spent tens of thousands of dollars creating and distributing measles information sheets in Yiddish to hang on the doors of more than 45,000 homes in those communities.

But the Yiddish was mangled. The effort to present important measles information to this community in different ways, such as through WhatsApp and news phone lines, came six months after the outbreak.

It wasn’t until June that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed legislation that removed nonmedical exemptions from school vaccination requirements.

Another challenge to the measles crisis was anti-vaxxers who specifically targeted the Orthodox Jewish community, spreading claims that vaccines caused conditions such as autism and sudden infant death syndrome.

“Vaccines have been thoroughly tested and are safe, effective and lifesaving,” Ruppert said. “To prevent possible future outbreaks, it’s essential that all children who will receive vaccinations receive them on time.”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/health/m ... -county-ny
the legislation Cuomo signed was to prohibit children and teenagers who were not vaccinated from being in public--schools, malls, outdoor spaces, everything. If I recall correctly, at that point the Rabbis of the communities became more strongly involved, and were instrumental in communicating good science, and encouraging vaccinations.

It was a crazy event to watch unfold, just miles from where we are. The news was quickly surpassed however by all things COVID.
Yep. Same group. This article contains a bit of the history. There was a similar outbreak with an Amish community a while back. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/space-and-time/
he/him