Polio...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Polio...

Post by Res Ipsa »

...was not on my 2022 Bingo Card. https://www.health.ny.gov/press/release ... _polio.htm

Then again, neither was Monkeypox.

COVID is, though, and will be through the end of my days.

[Required description of link: Polio case found in upstate New York, followed by detection of virus through wastewater testing. Unvaccinated residents are urged to get vaccinated. Now. The area has a shockingly low rate of two-year olds vaccinated for polio.]
he/him
"Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see."
– Rene Magritte
Morley
Prophet
Location: One of Andrew Wyeth's 'Helga' paintings: Lovers (1981)

Re: Polio...

Post by Morley »

Though most of my siblings are among the most conservative Donald Trump devotees in America, none have ever tilted anti-vaxxer. You see, my mother had polio.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Morley wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:36 am
Though most of my siblings are among the most conservative Donald Trump devotees in America, none have ever tilted anti-vaxxer. You see, my mother had polio.
Damn, I’m sorry. So did the first lawyer I worked for. Had an obvious limp, but didn’t need a cane until he got older.

We’re not all that far from times when disease was a terrible thing in the US. And it still is in parts of the world.

My generation has been pretty lucky. And spoiled.
he/him
"Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see."
– Rene Magritte
Morley
Prophet
Location: One of Andrew Wyeth's 'Helga' paintings: Lovers (1981)

Post by Morley »

Indeed. Most of our wounds today are self-inflicted: School shootings, obesity, isolation. But I’m sure we can rustle up another pandemic. One that’ll really knock us to our knees.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Are conservatives insisting that the polio vaccine be discontinued in the Red States?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 am
Are conservatives insisting that the polio vaccine be discontinued in the Red States?
We’re specifically talking upstate NY. But the color of the state isn’t the important part. Antivaxxers trended blue until the merger with MAGA. Upstate NY tends more red, but I think it depends on the location. I haven’t seen polio vaccination really singled out, but they attack the whole childhood vaccination schedule so maybe polio is thrown in with the others. Honestly, the idea of kids in the US being infected with polio should be unthinkable.
he/him
– Rene Magritte
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:14 am
Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 am
We’re specifically talking upstate NY. But the color of the state isn’t the important part. Antivaxxers trended blue until the merger with MAGA. Upstate NY tends more red, but I think it depends on the location. I haven’t seen polio vaccination really singled out, but they attack the whole childhood vaccination schedule so maybe polio is thrown in with the others. Honestly, the idea of kids in the US being infected with polio should be unthinkable.
Rockland county, where this polio thing surfaced, is beautiful (I hiked through Harriman State Park) and it appears to be politically left-leaning at ~ 63% D vs 37% R (refs: wiki and rockland.gov). This anti-vax thing, well, it’s hard to say how it goes amongst the voters. I have a SIL who is a turboMormon, college educated, and votes D here and there, but is also an antivaxxer. It’s really something to see when a seemingly normal person’s eyes get wide and then they go off the deep end.

- Doc
1. Speech is aggression.
2. Every utterance has a winner or a loser.
3. Curiosity is feigned.
4. Lying is performative.
5. Stupidity is power.