America First

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Themis
Elder

Re: America First

Post by Themis »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:45 pm
Republicans don't control the deep state like Democrats do. It would take a long time of Democrats losing elections to get back to a single tiered justice system. Right now there is a different standard of justice based on political affiliation.
You got it all wrong ajax, neither republicans or democrats are in control. It's the Pentavirate that controls everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRYJKYHFig
Part of the civil rights movement was against the right to exclude blacks from restaurants. But it's perfectly fine to exclude Republicans from restaurants. DIscrimination based upon race is viewed as the most heinous of sins but discrimination based upon how you voted or your political opinion is increasing.
Do you think discrimination based on race should be allowed, and what rule allows one to exclude republicans from a restaurant but not a democrat?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I don't think discrimination in the workplace, criminal justice system, restaurants, graduate schools (namely law schools) based on political party should be allowed any more than discrimination based on race, sexual orietation is currently allowed under social justice and civil rights laws.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:29 pm
I don't think discrimination in the workplace, criminal justice system, restaurants, graduate schools (namely law schools) based on political party should be allowed any more than discrimination based on race, sexual orietation is currently allowed under social justice and civil rights laws.
So, the guy who hates big government rushes to give government even more power! So, you’re saying that all deep state employees should be legally protected from being fired or other adverse employment action be taken against them. Well, I guess we agree on that part. No more federal society lists of conservative judges? Will the National Review have to hire 50% liberals? Or, to protect itself against lawsuits, should it just hire all liberals?

On the other hand, this will be great for lawyers. Lawsuits as far as the eye can see. Sucks to be everyone else, though.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:53 pm
ajax18 wrote:
So, the guy who hates big government rushes to give government even more power!
Perhaps he means he is good with it all since his history doesn't support the idea of equality of the races.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:

I’m not seeing any wholesale discrimination against gobs of people based on political party. Certainly nothing like what we used to see in this country against people based on attributes that they were born into and had no control over.

If you have examples of this, post them here.

To be honest, though, I can’t say that I’d disagree with the fellow who wouldn’t serve a Nazi cannibal polygamist at his ice cream shop, though.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:03 pm
ajax18 wrote:

I’m not seeing any wholesale discrimination against gobs of people based on political party. Certainly nothing like what we used to see in this country against people based on attributes that they were born into and had no control over.

If you have examples of this, post them here.

To be honest, though, I can’t say that I’d disagree with the fellow who wouldn’t serve a Nazi cannibal polygamist at his ice cream shop, though.
It’s grievance theater. A Republican politician didn’t get served that one time in a restaurant. But let’s not talk about what’s going on in Idaho, where conservatives are trying to drive anyone who disagrees with them out of the state. Ajax is perfectly fine with discrimination as long s it isn’t his team on the receiving end.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:12 pm
There’s absolutely zero chance I’d trade a shootyhoops “star” for a man who is a literal killer and facilitates weapons to cartels and everything in between. To unleash that man back on the world would be a sin far greater than an American sportster doing time for breaking Russian law.
Andrew Tahmooressi is a literal killer? Who did he kill?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:53 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
There’s absolutely zero chance I’d trade a shootyhoops “star” for a man who is a literal killer and facilitates weapons to cartels and everything in between. To unleash that man back on the world would be a sin far greater than an American sportster doing time for breaking Russian law.
Why did you snip out Veritas’ quote?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:53 am

Shades, Doc is referring to Viktor Bout.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:34 pm
What a joke. An American is illegally detained in a hostile nation and President Biden is trying to negotiate for her release. Meanwhile, Donald "Americans First" Trump, goes to the media and insists he wouldn't try to help her at all (literally his job as President) because she "makes a lot of money" and she was "loaded up on drugs." In fact, she was detained for having a couple ounces of cannabis oil, which is legal in her home state.

Here we see Trump throwing America and Americans under the bus in defense of his beloved Putin.

- Doc
Doc is exactly right. And an American was not illegally detained in a hostile nation. An American went to a host country for a work contract and broke the laws of that country.

In the meantime, there are a lot of people serving long sentences in the USA for weed. Trading a killer for a basket maker is not a good trade, at all. This is an unfortunate situation. It is tragic. But we don't need to make it exponentially tragic by freeing killers. Find a better path.