Vin Scully, baseball and growing up

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Vin Scully, baseball and growing up

Post by MeDotOrg »

I grew up in Southern California. When the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles, I was a Little Leaguer obsessed with baseball. I can still recite the lineup for the '59 Dodgers. Few games were televised then, so we listened to the games on radio.

Vin Scully, who died to day at the age of 94, was considered the template for a great baseball announcer. I had an album of Vin Scully calling games in 1959.

If you want to listen, it's on YouTube.

Scully's style was folksy and laconic, and fit perfectly with the slow pace of baseball on a hot summer afternoon. He would weave a story into the call of the game so that when there was no action on the field, his master story telling took over. I not only got the score, but I learned the culture of baseball from listening to Scully. It's like the difference between watching a TV show and a radio drama. Your imagination is engaged more with radio.

Listening to Vin Scully was one of the joys of my childhood. RIP, Vin.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Vin Scully, baseball and growing up

Post by Res Ipsa »

To this day, I’d rather listen to a baseball game on the radio than watch one on TV. Vin Scully is one of the reasons for that. I love announcers who can make me feel like I’m at the park watching the game live. Very sad news indeed.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Re: Vin Scully, baseball and growing up

Post by Xenophon »

Thanks for sharing this MeDotOrg and opening up a whole slew of nostalgia feelings. I hadn't heard too much Vin Scully but your link was a fascinating listen.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:16 am
To this day, I’d rather listen to a baseball game on the radio than watch one on TV. Vin Scully is one of the reasons for that. I love announcers who can make me feel like I’m at the park watching the game live. Very sad news indeed.
Isn't this the truth, if I'm not there I'd much rather just listen. I come from a long line of Texas Ranger diehards so I grew up listening to Eric Nadel for most games. I'm not sure I'll ever get the sound of "that ball is history" out of my brain.

I think one of my favorite aspects of baseball is how crucial the play-by-play are to the org, even in our current time. Nadel is as much a Ranger to me as Nolan or Pudge or Beltre. They are the spirit and energy of a team.

ETA: One of his limericks, Hex, about the the infamous dropped fly that would have won the Rangers the title in 2011
My feelings toward Cruz are complex,
His homers soar several decks,
He’s kind and he’s shy,
But if he’d caught that fly,
We wouldn’t still have this damn hex.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon