Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:25 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:30 pm

I’m really not paying attention to these anonymously sourced bombshells. People can claim to know all kinds of things that are, unknown to a reporter, actually educated guesses by the source.
In my opinion, if this is an accurate leak, the bigger issue is the leak itself.

Sharing information on an investigation on classified documents, revealing what some of those classified documents contained. Ooph.
I agree. But unless we know the reporter's source, we don't know if it's actually a leak or a reporter repeating someone's speculation. And we don't know who the source is or how they came by the information. For example, it looks like someone gave a tip to the FBI that prompted it to get a search warrant. That person could be anyone at Mar-al-Lago. It could be someone that Trump bragged to about docs he took with him (nothing that comes out of his mouth should surprise anyone). In the worst case, it could be someone that Trump tried to sell the document to. We simply don't know. Not even if what happened could be properly characterized as a "leak." The Sturm and Drang about the DOJ being the source of information, given what we know today, is pure speculation and political maneuvering.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:25 pm
In my opinion, if this is an accurate leak, the bigger issue is the leak itself.

Sharing information on an investigation on classified documents, revealing what some of those classified documents contained. Ooph.
Lying about what those classified documents contained is also bad.

The leak is THE story, and that did not start yesterday. That was part of this process from the get-go and it is a problem. This investigation is a fail.
Binger
God

Re: Mar-A-Lago Raided

Post by Binger »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:26 am
I disagree slightly, as Trump isn't the President.

Pressure is on. He's really going to be forced to run now.
Bumpety bump bump bump.

This is still the most accurate post in this thread.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:03 pm
The Sturm and Drang about the DOJ being the source of information, given what we know today, is pure speculation and political maneuvering.
And, the narrative keeps getting worse for the DOJ because they are playing along with the political maneuvering.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:05 am
So, Binger. Does the Washington Post’s article move the needle for you?

edit: Actually, I don’t give a crap what a deranged drunk clown has to think.

- Doc
https://Twitter.com/TimRunsHisMouth/sta ... X5tMBxlJ5Q
Sooo... leftists were outraged that Trump had sensitive documents, but don't care that the FBI is leaking them to the media now... got it.
The comedians get it, which is also funny.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

From Washington Post comments.
Now this dumb cluck of a judge, that we should’ve left in Cuba, spreads this information around, further delays the investigation, and he’s just being a real stupid Trump sycophant unqualified to be a judge in a cupcake contest.
Lawrence O’Donnell says Cannon’s auditioning for a the Supreme Court nomination from the next Republican president. She’s only 40, has Federalist credentials and has demonstrated the kind of loyalty Trump and other fascists would want.
What else do people expect from a Trump nominated judge
At least that part of the campaign is working great. But, whoever is in charge of campaign politics at the FBI/DOJ/Washington Post is not paying attention to the math. They should listen to Gadianton.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Lawfare published this guide to journalistic conventions in anonymous sources and clues about the nature of the source. https://www.lawfareblog.com/how-read-ne ... aying-what
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

There's no evidence that she was/is a spy, but the case of "Anna de Rothschild," doesn't exactly garner confidence that none of the documents (both NARA transfer, and warrant seized) that were haphazardly stored at Mar-A-Lago never got peeped by someone who wasn't supposed to peep them.

Cliff Notes: Ukrainian daughter of truck driver posed as European banking royalty, and was invited to Mar-A-Lago in May 2021.
Inventing Anna
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:22 am
¥akaSteelhead wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:13 am
Washington Post is reporting that Trump took a special access document delineating the nuclear capabilities of foreign nations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... documents/
The damage this has caused cannot be oversold. Why would any of our allies trust us to keep any of their national security related secrets secret after this fiasco? We've sent a message to the world that is very loud and clear:

"WE ARE NOW A COUNTRY THAT WILL ELECT AN ABSOLUTE MORON WHO WILL COMPROMISE YOUR MOST PRECIOUS SECRETS."

Moreover, if I'm a spy working overseas in a totalitarian state and reading the developments on this, knowing full well that a President may very well have highly classified docs in his desk at a country club detailing my exact whereabouts, then I'm sweating bullets and considering the cost benefit analysis of becoming a double agent.

The idea that we'd have a President so effin stupid that he'd declassify a massive trove of docs with a wave of his hand like this, is enough to send a chill up the spines of anyone who has ever worked in counter-intelligence.
This could be:

(a) About a NATO ally. That would be the UK or France, the only other two nuclear armed countries in that alliance apart from the US.

OR

(b) About a third country that might be a potential adversary.

It does not appear to be in dispute that Trump had indeed taken some extremely secret material to Mar-A-Lago. That's very bad for the US in any case. If that secret material included something falling under (a) or (b), it is a whole lot worse. We shall have to wait and see, shan't we?

Though in the interim, there will certainly be at least two countries telephoning the White House to say "OK. Level with us. We need to know: did Trump take stuff that directly bears on our national security? And don't give us that 'have to wait for the special master' stuff. Tell us now."
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Chap wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:19 pm
And don't give us that 'have to wait for the special master' stuff. Tell us now."
Well, there you go. Some people want more leaks. I think the leaks and the investigation by and for politics is like an insurrection, but more insurrectiony.