Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 am
Binger wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:38 pm
Yes. Gunnar does that. Exactly. And you do it, exactly.

Irony nor irony.
Do you honestly still fail to see that Trump is pathologically dishonest and incorrigibly corrupt and a great danger to democracy in general and American democracy in particular?

“Place your bets … place your bets …
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 am
Binger wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:38 pm
Yes. Gunnar does that. Exactly. And you do it, exactly.

Irony nor irony.
Do you honestly still fail to see that Trump is pathologically dishonest and incorrigibly corrupt and a great danger to democracy in general and American democracy in particular? Incredible! He makes Richard M. Nixon look like a choirboy in comparison! His overriding motivation is continually augmenting his own wealth and power, no matter who or how many get hurt in the process.
Not intended to be ironic, I am certain.

Just - wow!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:17 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:51 am
If Republican officials and candidates turn on Trump and acknowledge his incompetence and/or criminality, they, in effect, have to either admit to having been fools and cowards for having supported him for so long, and/or have to admit to the appearance of having been accessories after the fact to his crimes. It is understandable they would be reluctant to do this.
Great observation. This is much like the questioning Mormon who has invested so much time and energy in the church not wanting to acknowledge it's obviously not what it says it because they'd have to suffer the emotional loss of all the investing. Plus, a lot of people just have a difficult time admitting they were wrong.
Yes, exactly! And never is this truer than with religion and politics, especially when the two are combined. As I have repeatedly said -- "backfire effect." Admittedly all of us are to a lessor or greater degree susceptible to this phenomenon and need to honestly and repeatedly examine and try to purge ourselves from it, but too many of us never even try.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:41 am

Yes, exactly! And never is this truer than with religion and politics, especially when the two are combined. As I have repeatedly said -- "backfire effect." Admittedly all of us are to a lessor or greater degree susceptible to this phenomenon and need to honestly and repeatedly examine and try to purge ourselves from it, but too many of us never even try.
yep. Too many of us never even try.

Have you tried coming to terms with the Russia Russia Russia hoax, for example. Or nah, not gonna bother.

I see though, nobody is questioning that the FBI had a warrant for Mar-a-Lago and found evidence of nuclear espionage. Right? Totally legit, that one.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Some Schmo wrote:
Gunnar wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:51 am
If Republican officials and candidates turn on Trump and acknowledge his incompetence and/or criminality, they, in effect, have to either admit to having been fools and cowards for having supported him for so long, and/or have to admit to the appearance of having been accessories after the fact to his crimes. It is understandable they would be reluctant to do this.
Great observation. This is much like the questioning Mormon who has invested so much time and energy in the church not wanting to acknowledge it's obviously not what it says it because they'd have to suffer the emotional loss of all the investing. Plus, a lot of people just have a difficult time admitting they were wrong.
The defense of Richard Nixon in the Watergate Hearings was led by a Southern California Congressman named Charles Wiggins. When the tapes finally came out, Wiggins had tears in his eyes when he announced he would vote for impeachment. He was a lifelong friend and Nixon's most passionate defender, but he was ultimately swayed by the evidence.

Is there a Charles Wiggins left in Congress?
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:21 am
Some Schmo wrote:

The defense of Richard Nixon in the Watergate Hearings was led by a Southern California Congressman named Charles Wiggins. When the tapes finally came out, Wiggins had tears in his eyes when he announced he would vote for impeachment. He was a lifelong friend and Nixon's most passionate defender, but he was ultimately swayed by the evidence.

I wish there were. I somehow doubt that Trump has any lifelong friends as passionately devoted to him as Charles Wiggins was to Richard Nixon, yet honest enough to see Trump for what he is.

On that note, perhaps the following is apropos: Having “The Talk” With Trump Supporters About The Police | The Daily Show
January 6 defendants think they’re being treated unfairly by law enforcement. So it’s time for Trump supporters to have “The Talk” about the police. #DailyShow #Comedy
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Binger wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:15 am
… nobody is questioning that the FBI had a warrant for Mar-a-Lago and found evidence of nuclear espionage. Right? Totally legit, that one.
That’s literally how it works. -_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:25 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:15 am
… nobody is questioning that the FBI had a warrant for Mar-a-Lago and found evidence of nuclear espionage. Right? Totally legit, that one.
That’s literally how it works. -_-

- Doc
Exactly, Sherlock. That is literally how it works. There is nothing to shrug about, because that is literally, how it works.

And it literally works, with the FBI and DOJ providing literal leaks through literal anonymous sources that what they need you to literally believe, is literally true, and you literally believe it.

You literally believed every goddamn hoax and conspiracy to fall down from the anonymous sources, and you literally apologize for every one of them.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:21 am
Some Schmo wrote:

Oh. You mean, a congressperson who can be passionate and vote based on facts and evidence?

Sure. That is possible. What evidence are you interested in seeing or having a congressperson consider? The Steele Dossier, Hunter’s Laptop, The members of the legislature that johned on Epstein Island?

Or, would you like someone to emotionally respond to the so-called “tapes” of Trump taking the steering wheel from the SS and driving the Beast?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Trump ran on a platform of increased security over classified documents. He increased the penalty for mishandling classified documents to a felony.

He then proceeded to mishandle classified documents in the most egregious way.

The sensitivity of the documents is a secondary concern. The primary concern is process control. Ironically, the need for increased penalties probably wasn't needed until he himself became president.

Trump and his followers think everything is a joke, unless it has to do with their own personal bottom line. Nobody except him would be stupid enough to steal a truckload of documents and refuse to give them back. So now, a precedent needs to be set, and Trump needs to be prosecuted and go to jail. We can only hope his family members are implicated and go to jail as well. Anyone disagree?

Since he'd be under house arrest the next drama would be Trump fiddling with his ankle bracelet. The most unhinged right-wingers will be inspired into the stratosphere watching Trump's attempts to escape.

The right-wingers on my walk have barely mentioned Trump in the last few weeks. Rest assured, they'd still vote for him, but they are smart enough to know that they can't say anything right now. My right-wing friend mentioned the other day he doesn't like DeSantis (because he looks like a gnome) and wants somebody like Romney instead of a "dummy" like Trump.