Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

Post by honorentheos »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:38 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:31 pm

Culty doesn't need facts just company.
I'm looking for the club that's trying to get the 9th amendment into the Bill of Rights.
That's just Congress failing to do their job and enumerating the right to have a 9th amendment, whatever that is.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Hang on.

The link was not from FOX, but y’all read so much FOX and watch so much FOX that it triggered y’all into that much of another melt down.

I don’t watch FOX or enroll in Q like you superfans.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Binger wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:06 pm
You do realize that you and Veritas watch more FOX than the rest of us, right.
-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:41 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:06 pm
You do realize that you and Veritas watch more FOX than the rest of us, right.
-_-
At least we can agree on that.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I had a guy tell me that 18 USC 793 isn't the Espionage Act.

It is. Since 1950.

Then he switched and said there's no evidence of TS-SCI information at Mar-a-Lago.

There is.

Then he said I had to prove that Trump violated those laws mentioned in the warrant.

I don't. That's the prosecutor's job.

Then, right on damned cue, the same guy switched to all the the "Russia Hoax", where Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign manager, who has worked for Putin for 20 years, is known to have illegally handed US election information to FSB agents. Manafort was later convicted of "conspiracy to defraud the united states", which is what you get convicted for if you commit "election fraud".

Man, I never thought I'd have to deal with fascist flat-earthers who have no interest in logical or reasonable persuasion and don't trust anything. Thanks, Rupert Murdoch, Vladimir Putin, Twitter, and Facebook.

This country needs some serious education about liberal democracy and why it's better than what the Republican party is attempting to bring about.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:50 pm
I had a guy tell me that 18 USC 793 isn't the Espionage Act.

It is. Since 1950.

Then he switched and said there's no evidence of TS-SCI information at Mar-a-Lago.

There is.

Then he said I had to prove that Trump violated those laws mentioned in the warrant.

I don't. That's the prosecutor's job.

Then, right on damned cue, the same guy switched to all the the "Russia Hoax", where Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign manager, who has worked for Putin for 20 years, is known to have illegally handed US election information to FSB agents. Manafort was later convicted of "conspiracy to defraud the united states", which is what you get convicted for if you commit "election fraud".

Man, I never thought I'd have to deal with fascist flat-earthers who have no interest in logical or reasonable persuasion and don't trust anything. Thanks, Rupert Murdoch, Vladimir Putin, Twitter, and Facebook.

This country needs some serious education about liberal democracy and why it's better than what the Republican party is attempting to bring about.

- Doc
Did you ask about the Steele Dossier and Hunter's laptop?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:58 pm

Were they in that same room at Mar-a-Lago, too, or are you just not able to track with the conversation?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:19 pm
Binger wrote:

Were they in that same room at Mar-a-Lago, too, or are you just not able to track with the conversation?
All of Culty's posts fall into one of three categories. This is the second one.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Clinton's emails vs. Trump's documents: Do they compare? The answer to that question is that there is really no valid comparison. The hypocrisy and dishonesty of the GOP pretense that there is, is monumental!
(NewsNation) - When the FBI executed a search warrant at former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate last week federal authorities recovered 11 sets of documents marked as confidential or secret, according to the property receipt from the search.

Although many questions around the investigation remain unanswered - specifically whether Trump himself was the target of the probe - pundits across the political spectrum were quick to highlight similarities, and differences, between the search of the former president's home and the FBI's investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails.

Both investigations are linked to the potential mishandling of confidential information by top officials at the highest levels of government.

In Clinton's case, authorities were looking at the former secretary of state's use of a private email account for communication with her staff - some of that correspondence was later found to contain confidential information.

In Trump's case, the probe stems from boxes of classified documents found at the former president's Florida home.

Some, including Alan Dershowitz, a renowned attorney and professor emeritus at Harvard Law School, say that comparing the two investigations, and questioning whether the legal process is being applied equally, is appropriate.

"Until (U.S. Attorney General Merrick) Garland fully and specifically answers the hard questions about what appears to be unequal application of rules and practices, 'what about her emails?' will be a pertinent question," Dershowitz wrote in an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal.

Other experts told NewsNation there are stark legal differences between the two cases.

"Whereas Hillary Clinton's email server never contained properly marked classified information in the various emails received from or sent to unclassified government email accounts, the documents in Donald Trump's possession were properly marked as classified and continued to have those markings at the time of their seizure," Bradley Moss, a Washington-based national security lawyer, wrote in an email.

In other words, it's possible Trump, or someone on his team, knowingly withheld confidential records after being asked to return them in a way that Clinton did not.

That fact may increase the former president's legal exposure on possible obstruction of justice charges, said Moss.

In fact, the Mar-a-Lago search warrant cited a potential violation of a criminal statute related to obstruction as one of the reasons for seeking the warrant.

Judge: DOJ has 1 week to provide redacted Mar-a-Lago affidavit
"My educated guess is that the Justice Department is looking at a different violation of law in the case of the former president versus Secretary Clinton," said Jamil Jaffer, the founder and executive director of the National Security Institute at George Mason University.

In July 2016, then-FBI Director James Comey announced the findings from the Clinton email investigation and determined that the former secretary of state was "extremely careless" in her handling of "very sensitive, highly classified information," but did not find clear evidence that Clinton "intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information."

Due to that lack of clear evidence, Comey concluded that "no reasonable prosecutor" would bring criminal charges in such a case and advised federal prosecutors against doing so.

Now, the question of intent may be the key difference between the two investigations.

The search of Trump's Florida home is just the latest development in a monthslong probe into the former president's handling of government documents.

In June, one of Trump's lawyers signed a statement asserting that all classified material at Mar-a-Lago had been returned, according to reporting from the New York Times.

But the FBI's search last week, which recovered 11 sets of documents marked as confidential or secret, suggests that at least some of the classified material had not been returned.

"The key difference here is likely that with the former president, the Justice Department sought the return of the classified material, putting him on notice that he might be in violation of the law and when they didn't get it back, they used a search warrant to find and seize it,'" Jaffer said.

It remains to be seen whether Trump, or someone in his circle, could face criminal charges, and details about the specific documents recovered in the search are still unclear.

The former president has denied any wrongdoing and even asked for some of the documents to be returned. His team maintains that, as president, Trump had the authority to declassify any documents he wished to.

On Thursday, the federal judge who approved the search warrant declined to unseal the affidavit, which would reveal the FBI's explanation for conducting the search.

Instead, Judge Bruce Reinhart will allow the Justice Department until Aug. 25 to provide a redacted version to the court. The judge said there are portions of the affidavit that could be unsealed.
Last edited by Gunnar on Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:19 pm
Binger wrote:

Wait a minute?

I did not make that connection. Was Putin and Twitter in the same room too, or are you just not able to track with the conversation?