A Question About Grand Jury

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

A Question About Grand Jury

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Are Grand Jury hearings public record at all?

Yesterday, Carolyn Bryant Donham had a Grand Jury rule that she shouldn't be indicted on any charges for her potential role in Emmett Till's kidnapping, torture, and murder.

This news article indicates that there were seven hours of testimony. Is this something that falls under public record, or are transcripts of Grand Jury hearings confidential?

The news popping up in my daily dilly had me stumble upon excerpts and reactions to Donham's leaked memoire, which led me to wonder what the witnesses and investigators found/presented at the hearing.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: A Question About Grand Jury

Post by Jersey Girl »

I think that Grand Jury testimonies are held private and confidential. If a case goes to trial, the trial is a matter of public record.

Wait for an attorney to answer. I only follow crime cases.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Re: A Question About Grand Jury

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:41 pm
I think that Grand Jury testimonies are held private and confidential. If a case goes to trial, the trial is a matter of public record.

Wait for an attorney to answer. I only follow crime cases.
Grand juries are only used in criminal cases, Jersey Girl, so you know more about it than I do. Grand jury proceedings are confidential. Only the jury’s decision on whether to issue an indictment is released.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.