Why the GOP embraces conspiracy theories and denialism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Why the GOP embraces conspiracy theories and denialism

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:02 pm
All the clues are there, Dr. Shades. Look hard at the picture, read the title, and mindfully observe the picture. It’s like one of those Magic Eye pictures where all of a sudden your brain sees the truth within it.
I googled "What.I.Meme.To.Say" and found nothing. But then canpakes posted this:
This link will add some context -

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155929
See how easy that was? I clicked on the link and learned exactly what the deal was with that photo.

Do you think you, too, can be persuaded to add "just answer the question" to your repertoire?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:48 pm

Do you think you, too, can be persuaded to add "just answer the question" to your repertoire?
Shades, is there a reason you couldn't read or listen to the interview in long format rather than seek a synopsis?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:28 pm
Shades, is there a reason you couldn't read or listen to the interview in long format rather than seek a synopsis?
Yes. They were both way too long.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:32 pm
honorentheos wrote:
That’s why I gave you a picture!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:32 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Longer than the time needed to play a video game?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

in my opinion, the purpose of a synopsis is to provide enough information to make a judgement on if the material content is something I want to know more about. They in no way serve as a replacement for getting the information directly. And they certainly do not allow for engaging in critical thinking where multiple long-form sources with competitive perspectives are typically needed.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:52 pm
Without providing any context whatsoever.
honorentheos wrote:Longer than the time needed to play a video game?
I don't play video games, so yes.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:35 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:52 pm
Without providing any context whatsoever.
honorentheos wrote:Longer than the time needed to play a video game?
I don't play video games, so yes.
Moved on since Hearts of Iron?

As far as context for the photo, you had an entire interview transcript. To understand Cams point takes more than knowing about the nature of the photo.

I bet you $100 you do not actually understand Cam's point beyond a very superficial level. You may in fact be more poorly informed than before your initial inquiry due to having drawn conclusions based on what's been shared in this thread outside the OP.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Some members of Congress and some of this year's Republican primary winners are election deniers that subscribe to conspiracy theories. One of Trump's major lies backed by conspiracy theories is that the 2020 election was stolen. His attempts to declare himself the winner led to the insurrection.
One of the most prominent election denier to win her GOP Primary is Kari Lake in Arizona here. She is a former
TV news anchor, and she is now the GOP Nominee for Governor in this state. I'm a register Independent in this state, and I voted for her main GOP opponent in the GOP Primary. (AZ Independents are allowed to vote either in the GOP Primary or in the DEM Primary.) But the majority of GOP voters wanted the Trump-endorsed candidate who fully embraced his big lie. I will have to vote against her again in the general election by voting for the Dem candidate Katie Hobbs. Link
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Brack wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 pm
Some members of Congress and some of this year's Republican primary winners are election deniers that subscribe to conspiracy theories. One of Trump's major lies backed by conspiracy theories is that the 2020 election was stolen. His attempts to declare himself the winner led to the insurrection.
One of the most prominent election denier to win her GOP Primary is Kari Lake in Arizona here. She is a former news anchor, and she is now the GOP Nominee for Governor in this state. I'm a register Independent in this state, and I voted for her main GOP opponent in the GOP Primary. (AZ Independents are allowed to vote either in the GOP Primary or in the DEM Primary.) But the majority of GOP voters wanted the Trump-endorsed candidate who fully embraced his big lie. I will have to vote against her again in the general election by voting for the Dem candidate Katie Hobbs. Link
Would you vote for Stacy Abrams or Hillary? They were much better election deniers. Way way way better.