Why the GOP embraces conspiracy theories and denialism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Why the GOP embraces conspiracy theories and denialism

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:17 pm
Another treasonous POS is busted for …
The Republican elections board commissioner in upstate Rensselaer County was arrested Tuesday on charges of carrying out a brazen ballot scheme that allowed him to cast votes in voters’ names.

Jason Schofield applied for absentee ballots for voters who did not want to vote, and, in some instances, personally pushed voters to sign absentee ballot envelopes, positioning himself or his associates to commit voter fraud in primary and general elections in 2021, according to court papers.
Come the “F” on. How many times do we need to show a Conservative attempting voter fraud before Conservatives realize they’re the problem?

- Doc
They have that new Romulan Shield that makes them invulnerable to facts.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

My impression from talking with Facebook folks who believe in the Big Lie (at least a little) is they see it as rebalancing the field. They are certain Democrats are cheating, why else would they be winning elections given how evil they are? So if a Republican does something that is cheating in their minds it is really just playing the same game as it is being called. And if only Republican cheaters are being caught or punished? That just shows how badly the game is being rigged.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:23 pm
My impression from talking with Facebook folks who believe in the Big Lie (at least a little) is they see it as rebalancing the field. They are certain Democrats are cheating, why else would they be winning elections given how evil they are? So if a Republican does something that is cheating in their minds it is really just playing the same game as it is being called. And if only Republican cheaters are being caught or punished? That just shows how badly the game is being rigged.
That’s the hallmark of a “conspiracy theory”. No facts can ever contradict the theory because all facts are interpreted to support the existence of the conspiracy. If Trump were to testify under oath that he knows he lost the election and that there was no evidence of voter fraud that would have changed the result, his statements would be interpreted as either (1) someone from the deep state got to him or (2) he’s playing a complex game of eleventy boo dimension chess that will end with all the demonrats in jail and Trump restored to his rightful place as King President.
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:32 pm
honorentheos wrote:
That’s the hallmark of a “conspiracy theory”. No facts can ever contradict the theory because all facts are interpreted to support the existence of the conspiracy. If Trump were to testify under oath that he knows he lost the election and that there was no evidence of voter fraud that would have changed the result, his statements would be interpreted as either (1) someone from the deep state got to him or (2) he’s playing a complex game of eleventy boo dimension chess that will end with all the demonrats in jail and Trump restored to his rightful place as King President.
Yep.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Not sure about the Republican claim that democracy is just a short-term craze that has run its course, I would like at least ten more years before they end it. Couldn't they put Trump on ice until that time?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
honorentheos wrote:
That’s the hallmark of a “conspiracy theory”.
To be fair, the vaccine nanochip - with its enhanced retina-hacking function and sub-neural visual data transmitter - does make it easier to record Republicans committing voter fraud in real time. Thank goodness that enough of them agreed to get their COVID shot.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:09 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

That’s the hallmark of a “conspiracy theory”.
To be fair, the vaccine nanochip - with its enhanced retina-hacking function and sub-neural visual data transmitter - does make it easier to record Republicans committing voter fraud in real time. Thank goodness that enough of them agreed to get their COVID shot.
No check from Bill for you this month. 💶
he/him