Re: Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

Post by Binger »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:12 pm
Why do you think people on the right vote for Trump, Gad?
I've made my case for this before. Very few will agree with me or even get where I'm coming from, I understand this.

The single most important event in Trump's rise in my opinion was Vince McMahon of the WWE turning heel

Why is this a big deal?

The Trump crowd if not identical to the WWE (WWF in the day) crowd is frighteningly similar, from the "regular guy" who liked monster trucks to Christian ministers who loved wrestling as a "guilty pleasure". And the very WWF drama itself was a precursor to American politics as it is today.

The WWE changed significantly in response to crowd tastes, from loving Hulk Hogan who said his prayers and ate his vitamins and played clean, to loving the dirtbags with no manners who cheated. In short, American preferences were turning to negative heroes. Shortly thereafter, television took a similar turn, where the lines between good guys and bad guys blurred, and the heroes are often no better than the villains; from the Wire, to Battlestar, the Shield, and Breaking Bad.

Remember the great matches between Hacksaw JIm Duggan and Boris Zhukov? Everyone shouted "USA" while booing the Russian fighter who (I think it was him) insisted on singing the Russian national anthem prior to the fight while the audience booed? Wrestling, like TV, was largely made up of these simple binaries up through the 80s. Ronald Reagan was the "Hulk Hogan" of American politics, in terms of persona. These binaries have undergone extensive deconstruction since then. Even in Mormonism, literary theorist Grant Hardy picked up on these trends when he wrote The Reader's Guide in 2010, and Moroni is billed guilty of war crimes and temper problems, yet he's the big hero. "Dark MAGA" = "Dark Moroni".

In my head, I can see Trump's persona as a popular bad-guy manager to heel wrestlers back in the 80s, and Vince McMahon's persona taking over for Trump today as president. The mannerisms, gimmicks, even the way they talk in that "bad guy" voice is basically the same thing. Jesse the Body had a big role also as a commentator; the way he rooted for the bad guys predicts the apologetics for Trump today. I believe it was Jake the Snake fighting Honkey Tonk Man, HTM cheated but Jake blocked the attempt and beat HTM with his own guitar. Jesse went nuts, lamenting the destruction of such a fine instrument. It's the exact same contrarian-style defenses of Trump that makes him a victim every time he cheats and gets handed.

This is why people vote for Trump, because Trump most closely approximates a negative hero from the world of WWE/WWF during its deconstructive period between the mid 80s and 00s.
I appreciate and respect the analogy. Though, I disagree with it in ways. I do respect the appeal to humble roots and guys that can stand up and dismiss their foes. I think some of that applies.

Not many people will ever meet Trump. Not many people will even see his rallies in real life. There is certainly a persona or show or showmanship that you describe in Trump. He does play it up. He plays it up well. But, in the end, the people still have to vote and they still have to choose Trump. Why? Why do they do it?

Trump is going to get some people to vote for him simply because he is not a Democrat. The same is true for democrats that will not vote for republicans. The real questions are why would a republican pick him in the primary, why would someone who did not pick him in the primary switch and vote for him in the general, and why would a swing voter pick Trump? Perhaps, one could consider why a democrat would stay home or not vote against Trump.

Here is a sample of why people vote for Trump:
Vēritās wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:23 pm
2. Trump made racism great again, and all the closet racists started crawling out of the woodworks thinking that for the first time in their lives they have someone looking out for them and their racist fear of immigrants. This isn't just speculation it is a fact proven by the fact that Trump was a nobody for years until his racist anti-Mexican speech caused his number to skyrocket.
Verenis is not correct. He is the sample.
More people will meet someone like Veritas or read his nonsense and samples online than will ever meet Trump. They read that garbage and asinine logic and think..... hang on..... I just want legalized immigration and a normalized economy. This racist crap is not true about me and it is not true about why I like Trump. And then, they choose to align with someone that has their back rather than someone that wants to throw them in front of a moving train or insult them. Someone who owns a small business or has reasons vote republican, will absolutely rally around Trump if they see comments like those from Verines being shared toward them and about them.

I am not racist. And neither is everyone who votes for Trump and neither is everyone who votes for Biden. Hearing insults like this sample, is much like the deplorables comment, except that the left seems to be doubling down on the the deplorables and racist stuff.

Why else? Trump is an asshole. He is on his ride. He is performing in his show. He is not giving too many "F"s about what you think or what others think. Well..... and then.... he is giving those "F"s and cares and acts like a victim. It is astounding to see him go back and forth between shamelessly doing crap, and then acting like a victim. It is brutal to watch. I can't imagine working with that. But, when he is an asshole, he is a force and people want to be on that ride. This is where, Gad, those wrester personalities fit in. Or, your wrestler analogies. And more, how we compartmentalize heroes including serial killers and bad cops like Vic Mackey.

Trump will tell agencies and the house and the senate to go to hell, eat crap, pound sand. He will tell governors and the UN to eat crap and pound sand. And if Trump were attacked over taxes by Reid and the Clintons like Romney was.... he would hit them back hard and people would still be talking about her emails... oh, he did do that. He played ball as hard as the ball was played. And that is why enough republicans voted for him that may not have otherwise, why enough swing voters voted for him, and why enough democrats sat it out.

This matters because.... This raid will make him stronger among voters, not weaker. If holding onto those boxes got that stupid ass reaction from Garland, well, Trump wins because his base will see him like a shameless asshole.