The devil is in Mexico.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: The devil is in Mexico.

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:46 pm

*disclaimer: I'm not really in Mexico, though I do like Mexican food and listening to mariachi bands. And siestas. Since I'm stereotyping, let me include siestas.
I'm in Mexico, version 02.01.1848, before the United States cartels and warlords took half of it.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

I can't help but read this thread with the additional context DT has provided about himself. The whole thing just reads as "invade Mexico and kill the drug lords so I can get my girl back".

Absolutely an unfair interpretation, I'm sure, but it is difficult to think about it in any other light.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Xenophon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm
The whole thing just reads as "invade Mexico and kill the drug lords so I can get my girl back".
This sounds like a movie pitch that would star The Rock.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:29 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:39 pm
So we could send troops to Mexico, blow up some building and kill some people. Is that going to fix anything?
I'm not suggesting the US should attack Mexico.
Well come on Thomas you said the US should take military action. Just what do you have in mind? I do not see military possibilities as at all clear.Not that I do not see a serious problem but Mexico may fear our military as larger threat to civilian safety than our help would be worth. It remains largely a police type problem of identifying and locating the drug system.

Perhaps you are hoping somebody has a good idea. That would be good.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
You're right. Without the market for illegal drugs in the US, we here in Mexico* wouldn't have to put up with the cartels.
I'm open to the legalization of all drugs.

But that won't end the cartel business, Cartels will continue to transport undocumented immigrants and do sex trafficking.

and legalizing all drugs would piss off the cartels, who know what the Hell they'll do for revenge?
Morley wrote:
And without the smuggling of firearms from Doubting Thomas's country, the cartels wouldn't be armed and we could beat them with sticks.
I'm all for stricter gun control laws, but it's too late for stricter laws to have any effect in Mexico. The Mexican cartels are now capable of making their own weapons.
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:28 pm

I too support Mexico taking military action against the US
Mexican soldiers would rape a lot of girls here.
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 am

No and no. But that doesn't answer the question. Let's try again:
I don't know. Legalizing all drugs isn't gonna end the cartel business.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:07 pm
Legalizing all drugs isn't gonna end the cartel business.
Congressional reports would beg to differ.

Also, nice one about Mexicans raping American “girls.”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:12 pm

Legalizing all drugs would weaken the cartels, no doubt. But there are other congressional reports saying that the cartels would simply find other ways to do illegal business, sex trafficking for example. Should the US also legalize sex trafficking Doc?
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Also, nice one about Mexicans raping American “girls.”

- Doc
Look at the statistics in Mexico.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

and legalizing all drugs would piss off the cartels, who knows what the Hell they'll do for revenge?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Xenophon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm
Absolutely an unfair interpretation, I'm sure, but it is difficult to think about it in any other light.
:roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:54 pm
Well come on Thomas you said the US should take military action. Just what do you have in mind? I do not see military possibilities as at all clear.Not that I do not see a serious problem but Mexico may fear our military as larger threat to civilian safety than our help would be worth. It remains largely a police type problem of identifying and locating the drug system.

Perhaps you are hoping somebody has a good idea. That would be good.
"Majority of Mexicans Want More U.S. Help in Drug War"
https://www.wired.com/2012/05/mexico-poll/

The US could easily create political campaigns in Mexico for US military intervention, I think many Mexicans would think it's a good idea.