The devil is in Mexico.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: The devil is in Mexico.

Post by Doctor Steuss »

There are healthier ways to deal with rejection.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:26 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:54 pm
Well come on Thomas you said the US should take military action. Just what do you have in mind? I do not see military possibilities as at all clear.Not that I do not see a serious problem but Mexico may fear our military as larger threat to civilian safety than our help would be worth. It remains largely a police type problem of identifying and locating the drug system.

Perhaps you are hoping somebody has a good idea. That would be good.
"Majority of Mexicans Want More U.S. Help in Drug War"
https://www.wired.com/2012/05/mexico-poll/

The US could easily create political campaigns in Mexico for US military intervention, I think many Mexicans would think it's a good idea.
Doubting Thomas, I read the article. It has no specific suggestions. Less than 30percent Mexicans wanted US troops in Mexico. Most everybody thinks it would good to find a solution and stop the drug wars.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm
Doubting Thomas, I read the article. It has no specific suggestions. Less than 30percent Mexicans wanted US troops in Mexico. Most everybody thinks it would good to find a solution and stop the drug wars.
I appreciate that you are trying to have a normal conversation with me. Everyone else wants to make the thread about my love life.

28% want US troops in Mexico, but that was in 2012. The homicide rate has increased about 5% since then, and things aren't getting better. There are no campaigns in Mexico for US intervention, so my guess is that the percentage could easily go much higher.

Do you think the US should legalize all drugs to weaken the cartels?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:04 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm
I appreciate that you are trying to have a normal conversation with me. Everyone else wants to make the thread about my love life.

28% want US troops in Mexico, but that was in 2012. The homicide rate has increased about 5% since then, and things aren't getting better. There are no campaigns in Mexico for US intervention, so my guess is that the percentage could easily go much higher.

Do you think the US should legalize all drugs to weaken the cartels?
I think legalizing pot is a simple yes. I find myself with difficulty looking at legalizing heroin or meth. There are possible arguments in favor of that however. Significant negatives might be noticed.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:08 pm

I think legalizing pot is a simple yes. I find myself with difficulty looking at legalizing heroin or meth. There are possible arguments in favor of that however. Significant negatives might be noticed.
There are a lot of pros and cons.
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:54 pm
It remains largely a police type problem of identifying and locating the drug system.
A lot of police officers in Mexico are bad people and some are worse than the cartels.

If the US isn't going to legalize all drugs, then the only other solution would be sending US troops to Mexico. I can't think of a better idea.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:11 pm
If the US isn't going to legalize all drugs, then the only other solution would be sending US troops to Mexico. I can't think of a better idea.
How can the U.S.A. legally send troops to Mexico?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:01 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:11 pm
How can the U.S.A. legally send troops to Mexico?
Since when has the US cared about internal law? Is the law more important than saving lives?

If you don't care about the violence in Mexico, perhaps you would care about this?

"In the United States, we have been going through the most devastating drug epidemic ever in the U.S. history – the opioid epidemic. It started with legal prescription drugs and eventually mutated into heroin and then synthetic opioids"
https://www.brookings.edu/on-the-record ... the-world/
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:38 pm
Since when has the US cared about internal law? Is the law more important than saving lives?
So, the United States should become like Iraq under Saddam Hussein and become a rogue state?
If you don't care about the violence in Mexico, perhaps you would care about this?
I do care about the violence in Mexico. In your mind, is caring about the law and caring about violence mutually exclusive?
"In the United States, we have been going through the most devastating drug epidemic ever in the U.S. history – the opioid epidemic. It started with legal prescription drugs and eventually mutated into heroin and then synthetic opioids"
https://www.brookings.edu/on-the-record ... the-world/
That's pretty convincing. Let's kill people so other people don't ingest bad things.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Q - How can you best identify the Devil?

A - He will continue to insist the election was stolen from him. Beware, the Devil lies. He might promise you 72 virgins in Paradise if you kill FBI officers, but he will not deliver on that promise. You will be left bemoaning this in the optometry office with a fake roofer and a sore butt.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:08 am
I do care about the violence in Mexico. In your mind, is caring about the law and caring about violence mutually exclusive?
The US won't legalize all drugs anytime soon. What else can the US legally do?
Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:08 am
That's pretty convincing. Let's kill people so other people don't ingest bad things.
Mexican cartels don't kill innocent people?