The devil is in Mexico.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: The devil is in Mexico.

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:15 pm
But there are other congressional reports saying that …
That’s interesting. Please share the Congressional reports you read that helped you to that conclusion.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:19 am
That’s interesting. Please share the Congressional reports you read that helped you to that conclusion.
Again, I agree legalization would significantly hurt and weaken the cartels, but it wouldn't necessarily end their business. Wouldn't you agree?

All countries would have to legalize all drugs, "... reducing consumption in the United States, it would have only a limited adverse impact on trafficking organizations. There is more than enough demand globally to attract and sustain traffickers who are willing to take the risks to satisfy that demand. "
https://www.jstor.org/stable/resrep0498 ... b_contents

"In the absence of these crucial factors, legalization will merely allow criminals to operate in a newly legal economy, often with the same violent practices as they practiced in the illegal space. Thus, avocado farming in Mexico is dominated by extortion by violent criminal groups; and fights over land and territorial control among them are as much about access to legal economies as to local drug retail markets or drug routes. Corruption networks can also strongly operate, and often do, in legal economies where the rule of law is weak."
https://www.brookings.edu/on-the-record ... -the-world

"Legalization Advocates Hope to End Mexico’s Drug War"
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/12/12/le ... alization/

"While legalization may reduce the profits of drug trafficking, it would only shift the profit and make marginal improvements in control."
https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-libra ... tion-drugs

And let's not forget

"In the United States, we have been going through the most devastating drug epidemic ever in the U.S. history – the opioid epidemic. It started with legal prescription drugs and eventually mutated into heroin and then synthetic opioids"
https://www.brookings.edu/on-the-record ... the-world/

I'm not sure why everyone keeps ignoring the fact that Cartels also do human trafficking. Should the US legalize human trafficking?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

So, no Congressional report?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:17 am

- Doc
Nope, sorry. I remember reading a government report, but I can't find it.

Can you share and quote the congressional report you read? Does the report really say that legalizing all drugs would entirely stop Mexican cartels?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Xenophon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm
I can't help but read this thread with the additional context DT has provided about himself. The whole thing just reads as "invade Mexico and kill the drug lords so I can get my girl back".

Absolutely an unfair interpretation, I'm sure, but it is difficult to think about it in any other light.
You know what. It wouldn't be a bad idea to go to Mexico to practice some pickup artist techniques. :lol:

One can easily be a rock star in Mexico if only drug cartels wouldn't suspect you're a spy.

Okay, let the personal attacks begin.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:32 am
You know what. It wouldn't be a bad idea to go to Mexico to practice pick-up artist strategies. :lol:

One can easily be a rock star in Mexico if only drug cartels wouldn't suspect you're a spy.

Okay, let the personal attacks begin.
Xenophon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm
I can't help but read this thread with the additional context DT has provided about himself. The whole thing just reads as "invade Mexico and kill the drug lords so I can get my girl back".

Absolutely an unfair interpretation, I'm sure, but it is difficult to think about it in any other light.
Yep.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
But in all seriousness Doc. At least answer one question.

Do you think Congress or the Supreme Court would legalize all drugs anytime soon?

Wouldn't it be easier to convince the government to send US troops to Mexico?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:18 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
Nope, sorry.

Can you share and quote the congressional report you read? Does the report really say that legalizing all drugs would entirely stop Mexican cartels?
Nah. You made reference to Congressional reports that don’t exist. Bad faith, bro.

- Doc
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 am

Nah. You made reference to Congressional reports that don’t exist. Bad faith, bro.

- Doc
:roll: So what? I shared important studies.

I remember reading some government report, but I couldn't find it. It was a long time ago.

Jesus Christ Doc.

You made the reference first, and yet you aren't sharing anything. Bad faith, bro.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:12 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:07 pm
Legalizing all drugs isn't gonna end the cartel business.
Congressional reports would beg to differ.
And I couldn't find a Congressional report proposing the legalization of all drugs to end the cartel business. Bad faith again, bro. :D