Alt-Right Style of Arguing* (name change)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Best ajax explanation I've heard so far

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm
I’m not a fan of callout threads, so I won’t speak for Schmo.
This thread isn't about ajax as much as it is about trying to have a conversation with someone who posts like ajax. It's really a thread congratulating myself for making the wise decision not to engage these kinds of conversations any more. Small victories.

It's also a reaction to seeing people I respect here actually trying to have those conversations. It's basically a I like you guys, but I gotta tell you you're wasting your time trying to reason with people who delight in being unreasonable thread.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:05 pm
I am the champion, again?
Lol. Yes, you’re the champion of something, for certain.
: D
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:03 pm
Marcus wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: in other words, this is your version of a cry for help, binger?!
No. It was nothing of the sort.
of course not. again. just like last time. and the time before that. and the time before that....

you are nothing if not predictable. :D
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:15 pm
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:05 pm
I am the champion, again?
And I can see that this thread is going meta; it's becoming the thing I'm talking about.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:18 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:15 pm

And I can see that this thread is going meta; it's becoming the thing I'm talking about.
Exactly!
It's also a reaction to seeing people I respect here actually trying to have those conversations. It's basically a I like you guys, but I gotta tell you you're wasting your time trying to reason with people who delight in being unreasonable thread.
Sometimes, that a question goes unanswered is what makes the questioner’s point plain.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

It is more reasonable to just filter out what you do not like. Including, not answering questions. Is that the solution?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:25 pm
Sometimes, that a question goes unanswered is what makes the questioner’s point plain.
But the only people who would recognize that are the people who already see the point in the first place. Nobody is convinced by this.

Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:09 pm
This thread isn't about ajax as much as it is about trying to have a conversation with someone who posts like ajax. It's really a thread congratulating myself for making the wise decision not to engage these kinds of conversations any more. Small victories.

I'd put a pretty penny down that folks here don't actually think they can fundamentally change pretty much any poster here. But we've seen others shift their opinions over the years and a lot of that stemmed from conversations with folks that maybe didn't change and rippled out from there. I think the board would lose quite a bit of value if those folks who disagreed didn't do so for us all to see.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:31 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:25 pm
But the only people who would recognize that are the people who already see the point in the first place. Nobody is convinced by this.
I get that. But, as Xeno notes, the interaction isn’t necessarily designed to sway the person being questioned so much as the folks reading from the sidelines.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:57 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:31 pm

I get that. But, as Xeno notes, the interaction isn’t necessarily designed to sway the person being questioned so much as the folks reading from the sidelines.
That is not what Xeno noted.