Generation X's Method of Parenting

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Generation X's Method of Parenting

Post by Vēritās »

I was always pretty resilient with the physical abuse. What get's overlooked is the psychological abuse, which is much, much worse.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:41 pm
I was always pretty resilient with the physical abuse. What get's overlooked is the psychological abuse, which is much, much worse.
Your mother acting like she was an angel is infuriating.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:42 pm
Saw this posted today on Facebook:

305670400_1165524220975519_8015085702779976104_n.jpg
Yikes. That’s messed up.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:57 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:41 pm

- Doc
Ha. Well, to some degree I suppose, but I was thinking more along the lines of showing outward embarrassment of me being their kid.

Or abusing my pet. After the divorce, my Dad bought me a German Shepherd puppy when I was around 11. I raised him for a couple of years and then my Mom married my step-dad. We moved out of the rental and into a single family home with a fenced in backyard, and whenever Bandit would jump the fence my step-dad would kick him in the gut pretty hard. I had to watch him abuse my dog like that all the time. He was never abused until my Mom remarried. I remember one time Bandit was running away from him but he was trapped in the backyard so Jack grabbed my pellet gun and started shooting him with it to "teach him a lesson."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:41 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:57 pm

- Doc
Ha. Well, to some degree I suppose, but I was thinking more along the lines of showing outward embarrassment of me being their kid.

Or abusing my pet. After the divorce, my Dad bought me a German Shepherd puppy when I was around 11. I raised him for a couple of years and then my Mom married my step-dad. We moved out of the rental and into a single family home with a fenced in backyard, and whenever Bandit would jump the fence my step-dad would kick him in the gut pretty hard. I had to watch him abuse my dog like that all the time. He was never abused until my Mom remarried. I remember one time Bandit was running away from him but he was trapped in the backyard so Jack grabbed my pellet gun and started shooting him with it to "teach him a lesson."
What in the everliving “F” is wrong with those two? Good Lord. This is making me as disoriented as MG defending the cult hiding rapists from law enforcement. I’m glad to see you overcame the hand that was dealt to you, but goddman man. I don’t know what to say beyond that. It’s nauseating.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:51 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:41 pm

What in the everliving “F” is wrong with those two? Good Lord. This is making me as disoriented as MG defending the cult hiding rapists from law enforcement. I’m glad to see you overcame the hand that was dealt to you, but goddman man. I don’t know what to say beyond that. It’s nauseating.

- Doc
Yeah, it is what it is. It makes me wonder just how many other people their age were the same way, yet appear completely different today in public. If I told these stories to people today who actually know my parents, they'd likely never believe I was telling the truth. We just left my son's little league ball game. They attended, as did my sister-in law and her husband. They absolutely adore my parents and think the world of them.
ismailkho
Nursery

Post by ismailkho »

When my children were 5 and 3, I used to be quite overprotective of them. However, I came across a thread on this very forum that shifted my perspective on parenting. It was about 'free range parenting' and how research has demonstrated its positive impact on a child's holistic growth. Jersey Girl may recall the discussion. From that point on, I gradually moved away from being a 'helicopter parent' and began to grant my kids more independence. They started exploring the neighborhood on their own, without my constant supervision. As a result, my daughter has been going out with her friends and driving alone for some time now, while my 15-year-old son rides his electric bike to work, which is three miles away, and often returns after 11pm.
Last edited by ismailkho on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

ismailkho wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:37 pm
When my children were 5 and 3, I used to be quite overprotective of them. However, I came across a thread on this very forum that shifted my perspective on parenting. It was about 'free range parenting' and how research has demonstrated its positive impact on a child's holistic growth. Jersey Girl may recall the discussion. From that point on, I gradually moved away from being a 'helicopter parent' and began to grant my kids more independence. They started exploring the neighborhood on their own, without my constant supervision. As a result, my daughter has been going out with her friends and driving alone for some time now, while my 15-year-old son rides his electric bike to work, which is three miles away, and often returns after 11pm.
That’s really interesting. How do you manage the parental anxiety and intrusive thoughts of bad things happening? When I was raising my girls I would dread them being too far away because I worried so much - I compensated by putting them in a bunch of controlled environments like tae kwon do, soccer, etc.

- Doc
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:24 pm
ismailkho wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:37 pm
That’s really interesting. How do you manage the parental anxiety and intrusive thoughts of bad things happening? When I was raising my girls I would dread them being too far away because I worried so much - I compensated by putting them in a bunch of controlled environments like tae kwon do, soccer, etc.

- Doc
What Mike posted here is a direct quote from one of my previous posts. You're being trolled, or something.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Vēritās wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:04 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:24 pm

- Doc
What Mike posted here is a direct quote from one of my previous posts. You're being trolled, or something.
Huh. Weird. Yet, not surprising a Mormon male would use deceit and a bad-faith move to relieve his mental duress. Meh.

- Doc