Weisselberg Pleads Guilty

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Weisselberg Pleads Guilty

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I'm hoping someone can help interpret this for me.

The $1.7m in income -- Is that income that he personally made off the books, or is it $1.7m in benefits paid out by the company (in total) to himself and others that he helped keep off the company books?

Or is it something entirely different?

Also, elsewhere it says he has to pay back $1.9m as part of his plea, in back taxes and "fines." If it's $1.7m in income, that wasn't taxed, how does that get to $1.9m in restitution? I don't get that math.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62578359

Edited to add obligatory: Is it still a witch hunt if you find a witch?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Weisselberg Pleads Guilty

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

taxes, penalties and interest

Basically he was finally busted for taking benefits that are taxable, but not paying taxes on (like school tuition). The feds wanted him to testify against Trump, but he wouldn’t do it.

I’m sure I’m missing something else, but I think that’s the gist of it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Things are not 100% clear at this point. Weisselberg has the sword of Damocles suspended over his head in the form of a 15 year sentence if he doesn't cooperate, yet the scuttlebutt is that Weisselberg will testify against the Trump Corporation, but not Trump as an individual. Most DA's would want full cooperation from a witness.

I think both sides could be playing a bit of a semantical game. Weisselberg gets to save a bit of face by saying he's not testifying against his friend, he's testifying against the company. The big question is: What's the difference? IF Trump's CFO had been skimming millions off the top for decades, besmirching the reputation of his company, Trump should be furious. Anyone getting that vibe?

I think the case could be compartmentalized. Weisselberg testifies to his tax evasion schemes, without directly implicating Trump. The government uses Weissellberg's testimony about how the company is structured, coupled with other documentation and testimony, to show it would be impossible for the scheme to have gone on without Trump's knowledge.

But we're all dealing with the fog of war...
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 am
Things are not 100% clear at this point. Weisselberg has the sword of Damocles suspended over his head in the form of a 15 year sentence if he doesn't cooperate, yet the scuttlebutt is that Weisselberg will testify against the Trump Corporation, but not Trump as an individual. Most DA's would want full cooperation from a witness.

I think both sides could be playing a bit of a semantical game. Weisselberg gets to save a bit of face by saying he's not testifying against his friend, he's testifying against the company. The big question is: What's the difference? IF Trump's CFO had been skimming millions off the top for decades, besmirching the reputation of his company, Trump should be furious. Anyone getting that vibe?

I think the case could be compartmentalized. Weisselberg testifies to his tax evasion schemes, without directly implicating Trump. The government uses Weissellberg's testimony about how the company is structured, coupled with other documentation and testimony, to show it would be impossible for the scheme to have gone on without Trump's knowledge.

But we're all dealing with the fog of war...
That is quite the conspiracy you have created there. Elaborate and multi-layered.

Democrats will be elated to see a Trump CFO plead guilty.
Americans will look at this and scratch their heads and call BS. This is another case of not being careful what you wish for.

Democrats appeal to democrats when they use the IRS, DOJ and FBI for political purposes. When the IRS and DOJ are going after people for maximizing their tax writeoffs and taking tuition payments as expenses, the IRS and DOJ do not actually get a win here. Like other prosecutions, this better be legit and solid and not just an attempt to squeeze a political adversary, again. And to help the democrats soothe their little conspiracy jones, again.