The two tiered justice system

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

The two tiered justice system

Post by Hawkeye »

Carjacking victims upset after Mayor Cantrell in court in support of attacker's family
Survivors also told Eyewitness News their attacker was given a lesser sentence.
"He pulled the weapon out, he said give me everything you have," said Bergeron.

She says the attacker took her car, along with everything else inside it.

Meanwhile over in Mid-City, that same day, another victim who asked us to protect her identity said she had just gotten home from running an errand, when the exact same thing happened.

"There was a white car catty-corned blocking me in and next thing I turn and there's yelling, and there's a gun barrel in my face. The kid is yelling to get the "F out the car, get the F out the car," or else he'll shoot, so thinking I might die in that moment, my life flashed before my eyes, I complied."

RELATED: Bail reduction denied for teens accused of carjacking, dragging woman to death

This survivor was a victim of the same attacker who carjacked Bergeron. The women said the juvenile was sentenced to three years probation. New Orleans District Attorney, Jason Williams said in part, "It was abundantly clear based on the facts, evidence, and circumstances that serious jail time was required…. "We are extremely disappointed in the sentence that was ultimately handed down."

But it was more than just the sentence that didn't sit right with the victim, it was the high profile figure sitting alongside the attacker's family that had the survivors confused and angry.

"The mayor is sitting by their side, consoling his family and it just kind of makes you think, whose side is the city on? Like, are they on your side? Do they care about victims?"

The woman who asked to remain anonymous said, "She was sitting on the side of the attacker. She was sitting next to his mom. She was there for his mom and she wasn't there for us. She was there for the crime."

RELATED: Carjackings double, violent crime up 50 percent in first half of year in New Orleans

We reached out to the Mayor's office asking why Mayor Cantrell was at court Thursday and why she was supporting the juvenile's family. We didn't hear back.
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/loca ... 2tWVLQjHgc

3 years probation for pointing a gun in the face of a white woman, stealing her car, and everything else. Now imagine if it were a white boy who pointed a gun in the face of a black woman and stole her car. And yet they call it systemic white privilege in the justice system.

I couldn't help but think of the Book of Mormon where they prophesy of those in power who put the innocent in jail while letting the guilty go free.
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
honorentheos
God

Re: The two tiered justice system

Post by honorentheos »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:13 pm
You sound like Lot telling lunatic God if you can find just one prominent person who says a thing you can feel justified in believing it reflects a majority view. So who needs facts or discussion? Truth seeking is about ferreting out semi-celebrity quotes to use as arguments. To be fair there are plenty of folks who vote Democrat who do the same. It's a confirmation bias-affirming approach regardless of who does it, though.
Your OP is about a two tiered justice system that compares a crime with a hypothetical "Just imagine if..." situation.
Last edited by honorentheos on Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Another post attacking a black woman but the reformed racist. Weird.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Vēritās wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:16 pm
Another post attacking a black woman but the reformed racist. Weird.
Yep, any criticism of nonwhite elected officials is a slam dunk for racism and subsequent censorship. That's what liberals call 1st amendment protected free speech.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Now imagine if it were a white boy who pointed a gun in the face of a black woman and stole her car.
You know, the thing about this Ajax, you can research this scenario and see exactly what the result is. You don't have to rely on any imagination. In your imagination where you're personally the victim of every poor person in the country, I'm sure you think the white boy gets a life sentence. Don't listen to yourself, you're the least informed person that you know. Do some research and see.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:50 pm
Now imagine if it were a white boy who pointed a gun in the face of a black woman and stole her car.
You know, the thing about this Ajax, you can research this scenario and see exactly what the result is. You don't have to rely on any imagination. In your imagination where you're personally the victim of every poor person in the country, I'm sure you think the white boy gets a life sentence. Don't listen to yourself, you're the least informed person that you know. Do some research and see.
What if Donald Trump had sat with the white defendants at sentencing to support their parents? How would that be perceived and reported on in the media?
Veritas
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Donald Trump wouldn't sit to support anybody, least of all a poor white kid.

You're right about this one thing. Donald Trump's corruption doesn't extend to help the reprobates who put him into power, only to support himself, and those who may continue to be useful to him.