Gym fees...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Gym fees...

Post by Jersey Girl »

Anyone here pay gym fees? If so would you mind saying the monthly cost and what you get for it?

I'm really, really, wanting to rejoin my gym that I discontinued during the beginning of the pandemique.

Reasons...

I need a treadmill and can't fit one in the house without cluttering it up. Even my mini-tramp is in the way.

I want to swim so bad I can't stand it.

Anyway, so for $119 monthly, you get to swim, use the machines, I'm not sure if classes are included but I don't really care about those at the moment.

Does that seem like a good price? It's an upscale gym where you can do their spa (all kinds of services), take classes, they send you monthly educational emails, you can do personal trainer (trainers have Physical Therapy degrees or at least they did have), Pilates, weight training, you can track your progress online if you want. They have a cafe and you can buy workout clothes there...prices are outrageous on the gym clothes. They even have a hair salon. It's a very slick operation. Fees attached to a few things I listed like Pilates and they might have Barre.

You could live there if you wanted! If you get a blizzard. And the power goes out. :mrgreen:

About swimming, they have both indoor and outdoor pools. The outdoor will close after Labor Day. It's VERY nice, has a poolside food place where you can get eats and drinks. It has a whirlpool.

The indoor pool has laps, a small beach type pool for children, has hot tub and steam room.

But...what about Covid? Does it seem safe to you guys to do laps in a steamy indoor pool? I think not.

Any ideas and remember, if you don't mind would you say how much you pay and what you get for it?

Thanks for sharing and talking if you do!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Re: Gym fees...

Post by honorentheos »

That seems crazy high but it would depend on what you seriously plan on doing there. A place with a pool is likely to be harder to find, but I'd say anyone charging more than $30 a month for standard gym access is overcharging. Pools, racquetball, spas, free classes using specialty equipment add up. But even still, what you described sounds like a lifestyle gym. If you really just plan on using a treadmill and swimming you should be able to find a place for half what you quoted.

ETA $29.99 a month for regional access to multiple gyms under the same name. Mostly free weights, machines, cardio, and a room for classes at most locations. It used to be $24.99 then bumped post-pandemic and they closed the place that was closest to me. Gyms.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Yeah, $119 per month is outrageous.

My gym membership was only $10 per month. I wasn't losing any weight or getting any stronger, so I asked for my money back. They told me that in order to see results like that I'd have to actually walk on the treadmills and lift the weights.

I immediately cancelled my membership.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:43 am
They told me that in order to see results like that I'd have to actually walk on the treadmills and lift the weights.

You could have asked them to make the weights lighter.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:25 am
That seems crazy high but it would depend on what you seriously plan on doing there. A place with a pool is likely to be harder to find, but I'd say anyone charging more than $30 a month for standard gym access is overcharging. Pools, racquetball, spas, free classes using specialty equipment add up. But even still, what you described sounds like a lifestyle gym. If you really just plan on using a treadmill and swimming you should be able to find a place for half what you quoted.

ETA $29.99 a month for regional access to multiple gyms under the same name. Mostly free weights, machines, cardio, and a room for classes at most locations. It used to be $24.99 then bumped post-pandemic and they closed the place that was closest to me. Gyms.
Yes, like I said it's upscale. Lifestyle does describe it. I'll list some of what you get for that price.

Studio classes
Workout equipment (They have wide screen televisions and you can also choose from several options on the treadmill console--television, sports, music, various shows, newscasts)
Pools
Credit for the Spa
One hour session with personal trainer--they runs specials on this throughout the year.

The locker room is gorgeous. The entire environment is positively upscale and pleasant. You know how a gym typically smells? Not this one.

honor...the view from the workout room is to die for.

Come on, honor. Tell me it's totally worth it! :twisted:

And...what do you think about what I said about Covid and the indoor pool?

p.s. There are only 2 gyms in the area that have pools.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Yeah, $119 per month is outrageous.

My gym membership was only $10 per month. I wasn't losing any weight or getting any stronger, so I asked for my money back. They told me that in order to see results like that I'd have to actually walk on the treadmills and lift the weights.

I don't need to lose weight. I only weigh 110 now :shock: where when I started at that gym whenever that was, I bet I weighed 135-ish. I went there 4 days a week, Shades. I need to up my cardio and SWIM. Okay let's be honest. I have to actually DO cardio again. I have my own hand weights but I wouldn't mind trying some of what else they've got for strength building.

I can afford the $119 per month no worries.

Holy crap, I've lost 25 pounds! :o

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:49 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
They told me that in order to see results like that I'd have to actually walk on the treadmills and lift the weights.

You could have asked them to make the weights lighter.
At the rate I'm going, he could come down here and lift ME for exercise. :lol:

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:55 am
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:25 am

Yes, like I said it's upscale. Lifestyle does describe it. I'll list some of what you get for that price.

Studio classes
Workout equipment (They have wide screen televisions and you can also choose from several options on the treadmill console--television, sports, music, various shows, newscasts)
Pools
Credit for the Spa
One hour session with personal trainer--they runs specials on this throughout the year.

The locker room is gorgeous. The entire environment is positively upscale and pleasant. You know how a gym typically smells? Not this one.

When I was in college the smaller gym I went to was bought by a huge lifestyle gym when it finished being built. It had covered outdoor tennis courts, a nice pool, basketball, racquetball, towel service, plenty of cardio and weight machines. It sounds a lot like what you describe. There was a TV in the locker room that was always on ESPN, little Q-tip filled jars by the mirrors, hot tub, steam room, and discounts for using the inhouse masseuses and tanning beds. They also opened a juice bar at some point. It was nice...and a meat market. I got fed up with it after a year and found a place with what I needed. In my experience it wasn't worth it. But I was mainly there to lift. Maybe I'd see it differently as an old man now that I have all the old injuries to work around and protect. A steam room sounds pretty good...

Hard to say about the pool. My guess is the chemically treated pool is likely safer than the room where everyone is breathing hard and self-wiping down equipment, though. I'd be more worried about a spin class than the pool.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:08 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:55 am

Studio classes
Pools
Credit for the Spa

When I was in college the smaller gym I went to was bought by a huge lifestyle gym when it finished being built. It had covered outdoor tennis courts, a nice pool, basketball, racquetball, towel service, plenty of cardio and weight machines. It sounds a lot like what you describe. There was a TV in the locker room that was always on ESPN, little Q-tip filled jars by the mirrors, hot tub, steam room, and discounts for using the inhouse masseuses and tanning beds. They also opened a juice bar at some point. It was nice...and a meat market. I got fed up with it after a year and found a place with what I needed. In my experience it wasn't worth it. But I was mainly there to lift. Maybe I'd see it differently as an old man now that I have all the old injuries to work around and protect. A steam room sounds pretty good...

Hard to say about the pool. My guess is the chemically treated pool is likely safer than the room where everyone is breathing hard and self-wiping down equipment, though. I'd be more worried about a spin class than the pool.
Yeah, it's exactly that but no tanning beds. One thing I liked about it besides the ambiance, was that all ages were working out there. I was on the treadmill one day (bickering with myself over it at the start of the workout because I hated the start) and sensed someone coming up along side me...it was a woman using a walker. I mean there's all kinds of folks working out there of all physical levels you can think of...there's a sense of acceptance. No one sizing you up, you know? Seemed like everyone greeted you with a smile...like you're all involved in a shared interest to improve your health status.

The one thing holding me back, I guess, is the indoor pool with the moist air and the possible transmission of Covid.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I guess if I'm honest, this OP shouldn't have been about the cost. I should've just said what I want to do and asked my Covid questions.

Sorry for the misrepresentation. The OP wasn't well thought out.

I hate freaking Covid. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Slava Ukraini!