Gym fees...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Gym fees...

Post by Jersey Girl »

If memory serves, I can do a 3 day free trial before signing up. Maybe I'll just go over there, do that, and scope the place out. See how it feels.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:26 am
If memory serves, I can do a 3 day free trial before signing up. Maybe I'll just go over there, do that, and scope the place out. See how it feels.
Always a good plan.

I can't offer any insights into the COVID risk beyond any semi-public space where mask wearing is unlikely that is enclosed probably carries some risk. I'm assuming you can find out more about their precautions when you check out the free trial. And observe how people behave. I do think the pool is a lower probability transmission source than the main exercise areas so I'd be more concerned about those areas. But I really don't know how much of an issue a pool might be.

I'll say I didn't use the hot tub much at the big gym when I went to it. It always seemed to be full of naked old men or foamy when on a cleaning cycle or something. Both seemed unsanitary to me and not worth it. Bath soup? Bleech.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Okay scratch everything. :evil:

I went on their website one day to check current membership fees. They've been sending me emails ever since because I'm still in their system. Tempting me with their granite lined locker room, the treadmills, their steamy little pool, and lord knows if I go over there to swim I'm asking for it Covid-wise. :evil:

So I just unsubscribed. All it did was frustrate me. :evil:

I've just got to do what I already know how to do as best I can.

I can walk outdoors until some time in early December if the weather cooperates.

Otherwise, use my stupid weights, stupid yoga workouts, dance, whatever, mini tramp, and do my own stupid floor work at the house.

And I don't get to swim anywhere. Ever. Like for the rest of my life. :evil:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:49 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:26 am
Always a good plan.

I can't offer any insights into the COVID risk beyond any semi-public space where mask wearing is unlikely that is enclosed probably carries some risk. I'm assuming you can find out more about their precautions when you check out the free trial. And observe how people behave. I do think the pool is a lower probability transmission source than the main exercise areas so I'd be more concerned about those areas. But I really don't know how much of an issue a pool might be.

I'll say I didn't use the hot tub much at the big gym when I went to it. It always seemed to be full of naked old men or foamy when on a cleaning cycle or something. Both seemed unsanitary to me and not worth it. Bath soup? Bleech.

I might still go scope out the place and see if there is any opportunity to swim during the day when I wouldn't expect the indoor pool to be crowded and no group swim classes going on, see how that goes.

But...I just wrote a post that explains the whole thing. Somewhere between the lines of my OP and the rest of my posts is me taking a total fit on the screen.

It's just easier for me to say I'm going to the gym every other day than pull it together and self discipline here at home. If I had space in the home for a treadmill I'd get one but there really is only one place where it wouldn't be so much in the way but it's upstairs. The treadmill I was looking at is 100 lbs. I don't think a delivery guy is going to lug it up our stairs. I know the Boy and I could do it, but I can't risk his physical health or...can I? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm frustrated and I basically hate everything right now. Which is one reason I shouldn't have started this thread.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Maybe we can slide it up the stairs... :idea:

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Workout burnout is a thing. Checking it out might be the thing you are needing right now.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Anything over $50 is high but over $100 is pretty outrageous.

I belong to two gyms, one I paid $300 upfront for a two year membership and its a 24/7 place called Tap Out. I later joined LA Fitness only because it had a sauna, which actually helps with a lingering bronchial condition I've been dealing with for roughly a decade. I pay monthly just $39 but it includes all sorts of things I never use, such as a pool, handball and classes for other things.

Jersey Girl must be living in the Beverly Hills of New Jersey if they're trying to milk her for $119/month.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Vēritās wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:10 pm
Anything over $50 is high but over $100 is pretty outrageous.

I belong to two gyms, one I paid $300 upfront for a two year membership and its a 24/7 place called Tap Out. I later joined LA Fitness only because it had a sauna, which actually helps with a lingering bronchial condition I've been dealing with for roughly a decade. I pay monthly just $39 but it includes all sorts of things I never use, such as a pool, handball and classes for other things.

Jersey Girl must be living in the Beverly Hills of New Jersey if they're trying to milk her for $119/month.
Colorado. They charge extra for the altitude training.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Anything over 100 bucks that doesn't include a ton of personal training and dietary coaching is pretty high to me. It sounds more like a country club membership than a gym.

My usual spot is a national chain that has some tiered memberships based on service. I'm paying 30 bucks a month for the standard sort with weights, machines, cardio equipment. They offer a wide variety of classes, a ton of equipment, saunas, red light therapy and tanning/massage beds included. It's a very clean, well lit, and welcoming environment. There is a tier higher that also includes child care. Before we lived here I had a similar setup at a different chain that also featured a pool.

I also occasionally lift on the weekends with some friends at the gym they own which is very body building focused. They charge much more usually but that is mostly for coaching services.

Covid concerns are real for the gym. Lots of heavy breathing with rarely any masks. Couple that with the fact that a lot of gym rats are pretty resistant to vaxxing and other precautions (at least in my neck of the woods, ymmv).

If the cost isn't prohibitive and it has the services you want and you feel safe there I don't see the harm in paying for it but that is purely a judgment call. As an extra bit to everyone, often your health insurance will offer either account credit or membership fee subsidizing to encourage working out.

You say a treadmill would clutter your house up but they make some pretty solid low-profile/folding treadmills that can easily slide under a bed when not in use. Then you'd just have to find a pool membership which might be easier by itself. Just food for thought in meeting your needs.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

If you have a question about airborne infection control at a gym, school, public, commercial or healthcare facility just call the facility and ask them for their most recent TAB (testing and balancing) report.

If they are not excited to show you the passing conditions for all the published parameters, then move on. If they have the data and it is certified and passing, also great.

The standards are simple. The certifications are basic. The process is mandatory for healthcare and other facilities. It is no big deal. Just ask for it.