Gym fees...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Gym fees...

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:18 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:10 pm
Anything over $50 is high but over $100 is pretty outrageous.

I belong to two gyms, one I paid $300 upfront for a two year membership and its a 24/7 place called Tap Out. I later joined LA Fitness only because it had a sauna, which actually helps with a lingering bronchial condition I've been dealing with for roughly a decade. I pay monthly just $39 but it includes all sorts of things I never use, such as a pool, handball and classes for other things.

Jersey Girl must be living in the Beverly Hills of New Jersey if they're trying to milk her for $119/month.
Colorado. They charge extra for the altitude training.
It's okay. No need to explain. After something like 18 years he still doesn't know where we live and obviously doesn't want me to have the pretty granite lined locker room or the expansive view from the workout floor.

Pay him no mind. Pfffft!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I was thinking the Colorado tourism bureau is missing out on a great new tag line: Colorado, the Beverly Hills of New Jersey.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:02 pm
I was thinking the Colorado tourism bureau is missing out on a great new tag line: Colorado, the Beverly Hills of New Jersey.
Without the humidity and oxygen! :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:28 pm
Anything over 100 bucks that doesn't include a ton of personal training and dietary coaching is pretty high to me. It sounds more like a country club membership than a gym.
It may sound like a country club to you but to me, it sounds like CO. Anyway, you do get one hour with a personal trainer and they run specials on personal trainer consults on a regular basis. They also have what you call dietary coaching. They actually have groups you can get into...it's like a Mega Church. 8-) And they have challenges you can get into as well and digital programs.
My usual spot is a national chain that has some tiered memberships based on service. I'm paying 30 bucks a month for the standard sort with weights, machines, cardio equipment. They offer a wide variety of classes, a ton of equipment, saunas, red light therapy and tanning/massage beds included. It's a very clean, well lit, and welcoming environment. There is a tier higher that also includes child care. Before we lived here I had a similar setup at a different chain that also featured a pool.
That sounds really nice, Xeno. Years ago I started out at 24 Hour Swim and Fitness which was highly affordable, with workout equipment, and offered the Yoga classes I loved so much. The pool was always cold there but anyway they went bankrupt.
I also occasionally lift on the weekends with some friends at the gym they own which is very body building focused. They charge much more usually but that is mostly for coaching services.
I bet!
Covid concerns are real for the gym. Lots of heavy breathing with rarely any masks. Couple that with the fact that a lot of gym rats are pretty resistant to vaxxing and other precautions (at least in my neck of the woods, ymmv).
That's a really good point about the anti vaxxers. I hadn't thought of that at all. They do have an excellent air handling system. The environment never smells like rubber and sweat. ;-)
If the cost isn't prohibitive and it has the services you want and you feel safe there I don't see the harm in paying for it but that is purely a judgment call. As an extra bit to everyone, often your health insurance will offer either account credit or membership fee subsidizing to encourage working out.
I haven't looked into insurance coverage. I do know there are fitness classes at the hospitals around here. No pool though.
You say a treadmill would clutter your house up but they make some pretty solid low-profile/folding treadmills that can easily slide under a bed when not in use. Then you'd just have to find a pool membership which might be easier by itself. Just food for thought in meeting your needs.
I have an underbed treadmill in my AMZ cart. It weighs a 100 pounds. The best place for it is upstairs and I'm skiddish about having the Boy lug it up there with me...I said in another post we could probably slide it up the stairs though. Anyway, one of those won't fit under any of our beds. Trust me, I checked. So the loft is the best place.

About the pool membership. There are only 2 public indoor pools around here at 2 upscale gyms and one of them is the gym in question. The only other indoor pools with public access that I can think of are in the many hotels around here and don't think I didn't compare the cost with the gym membership! :lol:

Both of those 2 gyms are within reasonable traveling distance but if you can even believe this, last I looked the other one costs more than my old gym that I'm considering going back to! :o I loved my old gym and went there usually 4 times each week year round. Yes, I even dug my vehicle out of the snow to go there and that is saying something.

I thought this over last night (when I wasn't making a fool of myself on this thread) and I've got probably 8 weeks left of good outdoor weather. I'll just have to use the driveway, roads, or trails around here and kick up some dust.

I can decide the gym later. I really need to get moving with more purpose.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I really appreciate everyone who replied here. I feel like I should have never even started this thread. I was feeling so frustrated when I started it and I typically avoid posting at all when in a negative mood. I was mostly frustrated with myself for not re-committing to regular exercise. I kept looking at the gym like it was the Golden Ticket or something (which it's lovely over there) but then again what about Covid, so yeah...I was feeling out of sorts and in conflict.

It's really not about the gym. It's about my head and I know I'll rise above it. Still it's nice to have you anonymous cowards to bat things around with and even admit my utter failures to so thank you. :D

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

South Mountain 19th Ave north of the T-Bone trailhead near the steakhouse looking out to the White Tank Mountains. Had a different storm coming in from the east behind me so I had to get back to my car but always have to stop to watch when a storm is moving across the valley. It never ceases to get to something deep inside for me. The phone camera didn't handle the sun washout but it seemed somehow appropriate for the thread.
Attachments
IMG_20220821_183211_01.jpg
IMG_20220821_183211_01.jpg (139.58 KiB) Viewed 308 times
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:26 am
South Mountain 19th Ave north of the T-Bone trailhead near the steakhouse looking out to the White Tank Mountains. Had a different storm coming in from the east behind me so I had to get back to my car but always have to stop to watch when a storm is moving across the valley. It never ceases to get to something deep inside for me. The phone camera didn't handle the sun washout but it seemed somehow appropriate for the thread.
Don’t eat at that steakhouse. It’s not worth it.

I lived a bit to the east of this and would walk in close to the tank. I would take that trail almost every day to the peak (Dobbins Lookout) and back down. I took to clearing garbage off it and its perimeters at one point, and it looked pretty squeaky clean by the time we left a few years back. No telling what it looks like now; that trail gets trashed so quickly.

A half-hour from the side trail out of the circle off 7th, to the top, was a nice time. Like you say, there are days when the clouds, or the sunset, or watching a storm roll in, were amazing moments. Best of all was seeing the 100’ waterfall (I’m not joking) over the ‘slick rock’ part of the north face above this trail after a heavy downpour.

AZ hiking is one of the reasons why I’ll always miss those old stomping grounds at least a little bit.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Here you go, honor. At Dobbins one day with low clouds rolling in.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:42 pm
I thought this over last night (when I wasn't making a fool of myself on this thread) and I've got probably 8 weeks left of good outdoor weather. I'll just have to use the driveway, roads, or trails around here and kick up some dust.
This is also a consideration with a gym membership located … somewhere.

When winter kicks in, and some bad weather is about, how easy or convenient will it be to drive your car through wind and snow, to get to this gym?

That treadmill might be a pain in the butt to move around, but it’ll save you some serious dollars in membership fees, and time + gas from driving elsewhere.

If swimming is something that you’re really wanting to do, is getting a resistance swim spa a possibility? They aren’t cheap, but 7 years of membership fees at that gym you were considering will pay for a basic model. Would JB use it, too?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:52 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:26 am
Don’t eat at that steakhouse. It’s not worth it.

I lived a bit to the east of this and would walk in close to the tank. I would take that trail almost every day to the peak (Dobbins Lookout) and back down. I took to clearing garbage off it and its perimeters at one point, and it looked pretty squeaky clean by the time we left a few years back. No telling what it looks like now; that trail gets trashed so quickly.

A half-hour from the side trail out of the circle off 7th, to the top, was a nice time. Like you say, there are days when the clouds, or the sunset, or watching a storm roll in, were amazing moments. Best of all was seeing the 100’ waterfall (I’m not joking) over the ‘slick rock’ part of the north face above this trail after a heavy downpour.

AZ hiking is one of the reasons why I’ll always miss those old stomping grounds at least a little bit.
Thanks for the heads up about the steakhouse. LOL. I only know it as a landmark, kinda like the Mystery Castle. You might have been here when the perimeter trail connection went in and Alta was regraded? South Mountain is a little out of the way for me but I happened to be in the general area this afternoon and it had been a while. I'm significantly closer to the North Preserve and Piestewa Peak. We never go to the 100 trails because we can walk over to the trails north of the mountain and be just fine without the crowds. But I have a special affinity for South Mountain Park. I know a number of the rangers and managers.

Anyway, coming to the desert from northern Utah was a change for me. I would be a liar if I said I initially preferred desert hiking to hiking trails in the Cache and Weber county area where I grew up. What changed it for me was me being stupid and getting caught up on the Go John loop in the Cave Creek Regional Park as a storm was coming in. I was a bit younger then and started basically trail run/sprinting the last mile to my car after having realized the storm was moving a hell of a lot faster than I had initially thought. It was honestly spiritual to see witness the violence of a desert storm like that. I can only imaging what it would be like to see the kind of flash flooding that you describe. It's beautiful in a way I never would have guessed and I love it now. But I still love the mountains of Utah. Now if only the Mormons would leave...