FOX NEWS Is an Enemy of the State

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: FOX NEWS Is an Enemy of the State

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:08 pm
Moksha wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:06 pm

I feel foolish when I debate against an artificial intelligence program. Sort of like getting therapy from the Eliza computer program of past decades. You can't spot or verify these things because of the denial subroutines in your programming.
I do not have denial subroutines. Perhaps your false assumptions explain your false claims and non-cogent sentences.
You only have avoidance subroutines, like running from questions about why your ire isn’t directed at Fox News for lying about what Biden said, and causing you to foolishly buy into the lie.
; )
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:44 am

I don’t think Fox is a friend to the Democratic order. That doesn’t mean I think that the government should decide that it isn’t really news media and force it to run a disclaimer.
Why not? Why can't we have actual standards like we used to? Oh, because it will makes us Nazi Germany? Give us a break, Res.
Veritas pines for the Fairness Doctrine, but he has a short historical memory. Newspapers, through their lifetimes, have been partisan as hell.
Now you're just buying into the FOX News BS which it uses to justify their overtly partisan propaganda. The media was NEVER half as Liberal as FOX is Conservative. Even FOX knew they had to push the envelope slowly. In the beginning they said they would be "fair and balanced" and they even had a show called "Hannity and Combs." But that gradually went away and nowadays they make no secret about being Republican headquarters. Their primetime hosts are showing up at Republican fundraisers, speaking at political rallies, applying for jobs with the Trump administration, former Trump administration personalities always end up getting side gigs on FOX, and vice versa. Why can't you just admit the obvious on this? At this point there is no hope in hell FOX can be expected to operate like a legitimate News outlet.
Look at the old battles between Hearst and his competitors. The partisanship in newspapers was blatant, and I’m sure you can find both sides accusing each other of lying or threatening the country.
There has never been anything remotely similar to the power of FOX news and its ability to create entire armies of hateful citizens, which is coming closer and closer to a majority who believe we're headed for a civil war. Thanks to FOX's constant indoctrination of millions of Americans, one in four Americans believe violence against the government is justified. That's a threat to national security.

And we're not even scratching the surface when you consider all the damage it did during the pandemic and the conspiracy nonsense it pushed that effectively killed tens of thousands of Americans who refused to get vaccinated.

Sorry Res, but you're just flat out wrong. There is no way around the fact that FOX represents a threat to this nation. The evidence is overwhelming at this point. So much so that their "hard news" folks like Chris Wallace and Shep Smith have left the building because it has no room for actual news reporting anymore. It is a complete dumpster fire now full of nothing but partisan hackery and blind devotion to a push towards autocracy.
I’m very resistant to giving the state the power to decide what is “legitimate news” and what is not.
And yet, we regulate requirements to practice medicine, practice law, we set standards so not anyone who opens up a "school" can say they're accredited, etc. What country do you actually live in? Look around you. We regulate just about everything and for good reason. We also regulate speech. You can't stand in the middle of town square and scream racial slurs without being arrested. But you can go on FOX and say as much racist garbage as you want. Freedom of the press shouldn't be taken lightly, but "the press" doesn't apply to just anyone with a blog now does it? Why does the Press briefing never include people asking questions from GQ magazine or Sports Illustrated? Because they're not News. Same is true for FOX News. They manufacture news and use it to make Americans hateful, resentful and violent towards others. This is proven by the fact that every time they're being sued for defamation their lawyers argue in court that it is ridiculous to think people actually believe they're telling the truth. As the article I referenced shows, by presenting themselves as "news" as opposed to the political outfit that they truly are, they are able to rake in money from cable outlets in ways political outlets cannot. Why you think it should be OK for them to keep lying about who they truly are is beyond me. Their own CEO admitted as much. They're a political outlet, but because they have "News" in their name this means I'm subsidizing them whether I like it or not. As long as I'm subscribed to Direct TV (which I am because I want to watch all NFL football games) I'm paying FOX News money every month. They're making so much damned money that they can even run their prime time shows commercial free to serve their agenda of keeping their audience in the dark on current events. That's quite literally the OPPOSITE of what legitimate news outlets are supposed to do.

On a personal note, I hold FOX News entirely accountable for the fact that I haven't been able to have an honest to goodness sincere conversation with either my Mom or Dad in the past 20 years. Because everything in their universe is filtered through FOX News outrage. Just recently, we couldn't even talk about my kids trying to get into a certain University without them going off on a rant about how Sean Hannity tells them about how the system is racist against White people! "They'll never get a chance to get in because the Liberals rigged the system against us." The school is actually 78% white and when I told them that they went off on me in front of their grandchildren about being a communist for not voting for Trump.

That doesn’t mean we can’t take steps to counter disinformation. But giving government control over the press isn’t gonna end well.
No one said anything about taking control. Good grief Res, you're better than this. I was very clear in what I said. There was a time when FOX News would never have been able to get away with all the damage it is doing to the fabric of American society. The question is how much damage should they be allowed to do before someone does something? Just in the past five years we've seen untold numbers of Americans die because of misinformation from FOX and we've seen a serial sexual predator and career con artist get elected President because, thanks to FOX, more people hate now Clinton than they do rape or adultery.
Last edited by Vēritās on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:56 pm
Binger wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:08 pm

I do not have denial subroutines. Perhaps your false assumptions explain your false claims and non-cogent sentences.
You only have avoidance subroutines, like running from questions about why your ire isn’t directed at Fox News for lying about what Biden said, and causing you to foolishly buy into the lie.
; )
So we are back to a lie being told by FOX. Biden said what? FOX said Biden said what?
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Binger wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:08 pm
canpakes wrote:

; )
So we are back to a lie being told by FOX. Biden said what? FOX said Biden said what?
Five pages later and you're still hopeless.

But this is why you're here. To troll. To obfuscate. To entertain yourself. To annoy the crap out of everyone else to stroke your sadistic ego.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
canpakes wrote:

; )
You mean to say that Fox said what, and that you then repeated the what. ; )
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:14 pm
Binger wrote:

But this is why you're here. To troll. To obfuscate. To entertain yourself. To annoy the crap out of everyone else to stroke your sadistic ego.
Here we go again. When you can't answer the basic question, you are a victim of trolling again. Fine, victim of trolling. Fine.

Biden said what, exactly?
And FOX said he said what, exactly?

Simple. One post suggests FOX repeated what he said and others suggest they did not repeat what he said. So what is it?
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:06 pm
Just in the past five years we've seen untold numbers of Americans die because of misinformation from FOX and we've seen a serial sexual predator and career con artist get elected President because, thanks to FOX, more people hate now Clinton than they do rape or adultery.
Biden is the only president elected in the past five years.

Math ain't for everyone.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:20 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:14 pm

Here we go again. When you can't answer the basic question, you are a victim of trolling again. Fine, victim of trolling. Fine.

Biden said what, exactly?
And FOX said he said what, exactly?

Simple. One post suggests FOX repeated what he said and others suggest they did not repeat what he said. So what is it?
Here’s the part where you pretend to not have participated in the same exchange earlier. : D

And here’s where you repeated ‘the what’ that Fox lied about:
canpakes wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:32 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:02 pm
So he did call some people semi-fascist. That is confirmed. Thanks.
Nope. Here’s the quote:

“What we're seeing now is either the beginning or the death knell of an extreme MAGAdd philosophy. It’s not just Trump, it’s the entire philosophy that underpins the — I’m going to say something — it’s like semi-fascism.”

Is a philosophy a person?
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:06 pm

On a personal note, I hold FOX News entirely accountable for the fact that I haven't been able to have an honest to goodness sincere conversation with either my Mom or Dad in the past 20 years. Because everything in their universe is filtered through FOX News outrage.
Ya know, Verenis, I don't think you have honest to goodness sincere conversations with anyone here either. In large part, it may be because everything is filtered through outrage.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:06 am
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:44 am

I'm not sure about this, Res. Fox News is doing real damage to the Republic. I don't know what the motive is, and I've though a lot about that. Money doesn't explain it. There has to be a point where profit is trumped by principles if one has them.

So why has Fox News, especially their opinion evening programing that is the most popular, made hyper-partisanship king to the point of they would rather see Western Liberal Democracy in flames than acknowledge real threats if they are from the supposed right? Is it tolerable still after an insurrection and what we are seeing with Trump post-office?
You make solid points. Can one call a duck a duck in the political arena?

- Doc
I think so. It sounds to me that's what Biden did last night.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.