Would you call this waging war on seniors?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Re: Would you call this waging war on seniors?

Post by Hawkeye »

Morley wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:01 am
Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:26 pm
The lost revenue isn't effecting senior citizens. If anything it's effecting child welfare and SSI disability benefits for those who are pulling a check long before they reach 65 and more than likely before they're even 30.

I could see you arguing that social security is really a government disability program. But to still argue that it's forced age insurance or some kind of forced retirement program is just intellectually dishonest.
Ajax, you keep making this disingenuous argument. SSI is paid for by general tax revenues -- not from the Social Security trust funds.

Let me type that again, this time more slowly: SSI disability benefits are paid for by using general tax revenues. They are not taken from Social Security trust funds.
What about disability?
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Hawkeye wrote:
The lost revenue isn't effecting senior citizens. If anything it's effecting child welfare and SSI disability benefits for those who are pulling a check long before they reach 65 and more than likely before they're even 30.

I could see you arguing that social security is really a government disability program. But to still argue that it's forced age insurance or some kind of forced retirement program is just intellectually dishonest.
Morley wrote:

Ajax, you keep making this disingenuous argument. SSI is paid for by general tax revenues -- not from the Social Security trust funds.

Let me type that again, this time more slowly: SSI disability benefits are paid for by using general tax revenues. They are not taken from Social Security trust funds.
Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:01 pm
What about disability?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME (SSI) OVERVIEW

WHAT IS SSI?
SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. Social Security administers this program. We pay monthly benefits to people with limited income and resources who are disabled, blind, or age 65 or older. Blind or disabled children may also get SSI.

HOW IS SSI DIFFERENT FROM SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS?

Many people who are eligible for SSI may also be entitled to Social Security benefits. In fact, the application for SSI is also an application for Social Security benefits. However, SSI and Social Security are different in many ways.

Social Security benefits may be paid to you and certain members of your family if you are “insured” meaning you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. Unlike Social Security benefits, SSI benefits are not based on your prior work or a family member's prior work.

SSI is financed by general funds of the U.S. Treasury--personal income taxes, corporate and other taxes. Social Security taxes collected under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) or the Self-Employment Contributions Act (SECA) do not fund the SSI program.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Why does Ajax need other people to google answers for him, that he won’t read or generally acknowledge, anyway? “What about disability?” What about it, Ajax? Are we going to be treated to more of your wild-eyed and fantastically misinformed assertions? Why don’t you actually take one or two minutes, compose your thoughts, fact-check them using some search engine, and then construct an argument based in reality? Time after time, again and again, you invoke Bing Bong’s Law. You’ll go to your grave believing in a larp that has effectively zero to do with the reality we live in. :roll:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Hawkeye wrote:

Morley wrote:

Hawkeye wrote:
What about disability?
I can't figure out what you're talking about. However, if you mean SSDI (unlike SSI you refer to) it does come from the Social Security trust funds. About 12.4% of Social Security total benefits goes to disabled workers and their dependents. SSDI is an earned benefit. By the way, the state with the highest percentage of folks on SSDI is your home state of West Virginia.

As Doc so eloquently writes, you could...you know...google this merde stuff yourself.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:05 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
What about disability?
I can't figure out what you're talking about. However, if you mean SSDI (unlike SSI you refer to) it does come from the Social Security trust funds. About 12.4% of Social Security total benefits goes to disabled workers and their dependents. SSDI is an earned benefit. By the way, the state with the highest percentage of folks on SSDI is your home state of West Virginia.
Morley , you mention an interesting detail. There are some portions of the US with much more ssd funding and Hawkeye is living in an area with such an excess. It is all of those blue states where people work that are sending money to support the folks in West Virginia. Some folks have suspected manipulation and easy disability requirements to keeps some financially crippled areas afloat.(it may also be true coal mining encourages disabilities)

I wonder if Hawkeye wants to consider how much of his income is sourced from those government programs. I do not know how much medicaid or medicaire directly pays him. Even if none the fact that a variety of poor people have a bit of income means they might pay for his services. Even if that is limited there is a whole business community into whose pockets the ssd money goes second hand. There is a variety of ways Hawkeyes income is assisted by taxpayers in California.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

SSDI is an earned benefit.
How long does a coal miner have to work before he and his dependents can collect SSDI. Say he starts getting a twinge in his back at 29 years of age and pulls a check until his 75. Does this money come from FICA or some other tax?

When an 8 year old kid come in with a lazy eye and the parents use that to start pulling a $750 a month check, where does that money come from?

This is probably my favorite all time article that explains what disability is all about.

https://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:19 pm
When an 8 year old kid come in with a lazy eye and the parents use that to start pulling a $750 a month check, where does that money come from?
Even if the case of lazy eye resulted in complete blindness in one eye, there'd be no disability awarded. You can't possibly be that ignorant. You're not even trying for a good faith discussion.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 pm

I wonder if Hawkeye wants to consider how much of his income is sourced from those government programs. I do not know how much medicaid or medicaire directly pays him. Even if none the fact that a variety of poor people have a bit of income means they might pay for his services. Even if that is limited there is a whole business community into whose pockets the ssd money goes second hand. There is a variety of ways Hawkeyes income is assisted by taxpayers in California.
Good thoughts, Huck. Maybe Ajax will reply to this.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Morley wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:50 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:19 pm
Even if the case of lazy eye resulted in complete blindness in one eye, there'd be no disability awarded. You can't possibly be that ignorant. You're not even trying for a good faith discussion.
No, I know very well that this family was pulling a $750/month check for a lazy eye in an 8 year old in Louisiana. The argument was the increased costs of rides to the doctor and treatments. My question was whether this was coming out of some SSI tax you were speaking of or was it coming from FICA tax?
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:09 pm
Morley wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:50 pm

No, I know very well that this family was pulling a $750/month check for a lazy eye
Prove it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.