Judge Grants Trump’s Special Master Motion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Judge Grants Trump’s Special Master Motion

Post by Gunnar »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:45 am
Gunnar wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 pm
I wonder if she is under some duress, coercion, or threats against herself or loved ones to rule the way she does.
I think she is simply acknowledging that she is a partisan hack and that is why Trump's team chose her.
Which do you think is worse? That she is just a fanatical and irredeemable partisan hack, or that she is under duress either by threatening her and/or her loved ones, or blackmail by threatening to expose something scandalous or criminal in her past?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:10 pm
Which do you think is worse? That she is just a fanatical and irredeemable partisan hack, or that she is under duress either by threatening her and/or her loved ones, or blackmail by threatening to expose something scandalous or criminal in her past?
I hope the judge is not being threatened or blackmailed by Trumpians.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Trump has now asked the Supreme Court to vacate the 11th Circuit's partial stay.https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000183 ... d40c910000

ETA: This request raises all kinds of interesting possibilities. Trump argues at length that the 11th Cir. had no jurisdiction to review Judge Cannon's orders. But the fatal flaw in Trump's entire case is that, under controlling 11th Cir. law, Judge Cannon had no jurisdiction to begin with. In a just and sane world, the Supreme Court would order Judge Cannon to dismiss Trump's case for lack of subject matter jurisdiction.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa, what do you think motivated Trump to steal these classified documents in the first place? Is it akin to people taking monogrammed towels from Buckingham Palace and trying to remove artwork from the Louvre?
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:25 am
Res Ipsa, what do you think motivated Trump to steal these classified documents in the first place? Is it akin to people taking monogrammed towels from Buckingham Palace and trying to remove artwork from the Louvre?
Or perhaps trading stock for a pee tape. Just brainstorming here, Binger.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
No idea. It could be different motives for different documents. Maybe it will be clear once we know what the (non-classified) documents are.
he/him

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Moksha wrote:
I suspect two motivations. One is to feel like he still owns the presidency. The second ,publicity,it has made him the center of attention and garnered sympathy from his supporters.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

A couple of interesting tidbits about Trump's request for relief from the Supreme Court. First, it only asks the court to reverse the stay of the Special Master's review of the documents marked as classified. It does not ask the Court to reinstate the stay of use of those documents in the criminal investigation.

Second, the issue may be moot. Remember, the 11th Circuit hasn't rule on the merits of the Special Master order or the Stay. It simply stayed the portions of those orders that applied to the documents marked classified. The Court of Appeals did not reverse any portion of Judge Cannon's orders.

But Judge Cannon did something odd after the 11th Circuit ruling: she amended her orders to remove references to the documents marked classified. Trump never applied from that amendment of her orders. So, even if the Supreme Court reversed the 11th Circuit, there would be no change. Nothing in Judge Cannon's orders as she amended them requires the government to do anything with respect to the documents marked classified.

So, another route the Supreme Court could take is to dismiss Trump's request as moot. In terms of the way the Supreme Court is suppose to address issues, that's theoretically what it should do.

Just more procedural weirdness in a case that is already really procedurally weird.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:06 pm
Moksha wrote:
I suspect two motivations. One is to feel like he still owns the presidency. The second ,publicity,it has made him the center of attention and garnered sympathy from his supporters.
Could be. I suspect for things like the letter left for him by the Obamas and the letters from the president of North Korea, he views them a souvenirs that he should get to keep. Just based on past conduct, I'd say the lawsuit is more motivated by fund raising than sympathy. And maybe to postpone or prevent discovery of criminal conduct.
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Do you think that Trump may have viewed these stolen documents as bargaining chips to be traded against future prosecution in the Insurrection case? Such as, "If you do not want to see these secret documents end up in foreign hands then you better drop your prosecution of me".