Judge Grants Trump’s Special Master Motion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Judge Grants Trump’s Special Master Motion

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:57 pm
When they say “vendors” are they just talking about contracted personnel who can review the stolen items for classified information?

- Doc
Contracted vendors to scan and digitalize the documents' text for easy access. Had Trump done this already, he could have returned them and still had information on the thumb drive to sell and bargain (well all documents except the treasured love letters from Kim Jung Un, which helped kindle another side of Trump's sexuality... Trump still harbors fantasies of Jung Un swatting his butt with a rolled-up magazine and then in the afterglow cuddling together in bed and chowing down on cheeseburgers).
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:40 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
When they say “vendors” are they just talking about contracted personnel who can review the stolen items for classified information?

- Doc
Contracted vendors to scan and digitalize the documents' text for easy access. Had Trump done this already, he could have returned them and still had information on the thumb drive to sell and bargain (well all documents except the treasured love letters from Kim Jung Un, which helped kindle another side of Trump's sexuality... Trump still harbors fantasies of Jung Un swatting his butt with a rolled-up magazine and then in the afterglow cuddling together in bed and chowing down on cheeseburgers).
Homosexist!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
No. Just companies who will scan the pages into an online database that both parties, the Special Master, and Judge Cannon can access. It’s a very common process used in cases with lots of documents.

The claim by Trump’s lawyers that no vendor would take the job because of deadlines is nonsense. Trump had a deadline for hiring a vendor, and the government supplied the names of five companies it had worked with. If a vendor couldn’t meet a deadline, it would certainly give a date that the job could be done by. It’s simply unbelievable that none of the five companies suggested an alternate deadline.

I think the the problem was Trump’s habit of not paying his bills. Apparently the government fixed the problem by guaranteeing payment. So maybe the Feds will end up owning Trump Tower. 😉

Oops! I see our ever vigilant Penguin beat me to it!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

So, I guess Trump won’t have to admit the FBI didn’t plant anything now? What’s the next run-the-clock-out strategy?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:32 pm
So, I guess Trump won’t have to admit the FBI didn’t plant anything now? What’s the next run-the-clock-out strategy?

- Doc
Judge Cannon is the jurist who keeps on giving.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Now the DOJ is asking their appeal to the 11th Circuit on the special master be expedited since it would just save everyone a lot of time if the special master was moot.

I'm thinking they will expedite the appeal given the previous speed and how they ruled. They seemed to include that there was a lot of shaky ground Cannon was ruling from. I could see that they see Dearie trying to fulfill his duties expeditiously, and Cannon has just been bending over backwards for Team Trump and delaying things for no good reason other than it benefits Trump. Part of me wonders if she just really is this deep in the pocket for Trump, or if at this point after the 11th court's ruling she realizes it could be beneficial if the 11th Circuit takes this off her plate in a way that Trump can't point the finger at her and the MAGA folks won't be sitting outside her house.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dwight wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:51 pm
Now the DOJ is asking their appeal to the 11th Circuit on the special master be expedited since it would just save everyone a lot of time if the special master was moot.

I'm thinking they will expedite the appeal given the previous speed and how they ruled. They seemed to include that there was a lot of shaky ground Cannon was ruling from. I could see that they see Dearie trying to fulfill his duties expeditiously, and Cannon has just been bending over backwards for Team Trump and delaying things for no good reason other than it benefits Trump. Part of me wonders if she just really is this deep in the pocket for Trump, or if at this point after the 11th court's ruling she realizes it could be beneficial if the 11th Circuit takes this off her plate in a way that Trump can't point the finger at her and the MAGA folks won't be sitting outside her house.
The 11th Circuit’s order granting a partial stay created a weird situation when it found that the government was likely to prevail on its appeal. The reasoning it used clearly leads to the conclusion that there is no subject matter jurisdiction over the case. If true, the entire case is both a waste of time and an unfounded interference in the government’s right to investigate crimes.

Because lack of subject matter jurisdiction means that the court has no authority at all to hear the case, there would be nothing odd about the court raising the issue on its own and setting an early briefing schedule. So, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Court of Appeals grant the motion.

From the brief, it sounds like the DOJ requested an accelerated briefing schedule in response to Judge Cannon’s procedurally word order last week. As described in my last post, Judge Dearie had proposed an order setting out the mechanics of how the review would proceed for review and comment by the parties. Both sides responded, with Trump strongly objecting to aspects of the order. But before Dearie could respond, Judge Cannon jumped in and issued her own order, extending her own final deadline, which no one had asked her to do, and setting interim deadlines, which no one has had asked her to do.

To be clear, when a judge appoints a special master, they retain complete control over the case and are not required to give any deference to the special master. But, once appointed, it is rare for the judge to micromanage the process or get involved at all without an actual motion directed to the judge. Most of the time, the judge simply waits for the special masters final report.

Not only did she extend her own deadline into December, she also precluded Judge Dearie from narrowing the issues as part of the review process. This means that the government’s ability to use the documents as part of its investigating Trump will be delayed even longer.

While the government may have been willing to live with Judge Cannon’s original November deadline, the new December +++ date may have been more delay in the criminal investigation than the government was willing to accept. So, plan B — ask the 11th Cir. to find that there is no subject matter jurisdiction for the whole thing.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

It just seems more and more evident that Judge Cannon is very deeply in the pocket of Donald J. Trump. How can even an appointed Judge with lifelong tenure get away with such blatant corruption and bias? It seems to me that she is as much an advocate for Trump as any of his hired attorneys are or have ever been. I wonder if she is under some duress, coercion or threats against herself or loved ones to rule the way she does.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 pm
It just seems more and more evident that Judge Cannon is very deeply in the pocket of Donald J. Trump. How can even an appointed Judge with lifelong tenure get away with such blatant corruption and bias? It seems to me that she is as much an advocate for Trump as any of his hired attorneys are or have ever been. I wonder if she is under some duress, coercion or threats against herself or loved ones to rule the way she does.
It’s in the fascist playbook to subordinate the judiciary to the Party. in my opinion, democracy is subverted quickest when the judicial system falls first; I’m pretty sure it’s an authoritarian maxim to bring the judiciary system to heel. So, yeah. Here it is. She obviously needs to go, but who in our country will show her the door? The answer is absolutely no one will.

- Doc
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 pm
I wonder if she is under some duress, coercion, or threats against herself or loved ones to rule the way she does.
I think she is simply acknowledging that she is a partisan hack and that is why Trump's team chose her.