OMG Ukraine LOL

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

OMG Ukraine LOL

Post by Binger »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ailymailus
A Ukrainian pensioner shot down a Russian Su-34 jet with a rifle, sending it spiralling to the ground, a government agency has said.

Valeriy Fedorovych opened fire when the enemy aircraft flew overhead in Chernhiv, according to the State Border Service of Ukraine.

It is claimed he picked off the jet, which costs an estimated £74million, and footage circulating at the time showed it careening back down to earth, although he was not seen in the video.

LOL! That picture.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: OMG Ukraine LOL

Post by Dr. Shades »

I'm not buying it. Not for a second. The absolute minimum speed at which it would've been traveling just to stay airborne would've meant that the shooter would've had to place a significant "lead" on his aim. . . the more so if it was traveling quickly. And this lead would've been no easy feat, 'cause he would've had to accurately pinpoint just how far above him it was in order to make the bullet meet the plane.

Consider also the amount of 50-caliber bullets it took to take down a World War II aircraft. To take down this one with only a single shot--especially considering the much smaller size of a round from this particular gun--would've required a direct hit to one of its jet engine's intake ports, not some random part of the hull. And even then it'd be a far cry from a guarantee.

So, the shooter would've needed a superhuman gauge of its speed, a superhuman gauge of its altitude, combined with a near-infinitely lucky shot to just the right part its body. Therefore, I'm calling this as a fabricated feel-good story for propaganda purposes.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:38 am
I'm not buying it. Not for a second. The absolute minimum speed at which it would've been traveling just to stay airborne would've meant that the shooter would've had to place a significant "lead" on his aim. . . the more so if it was traveling quickly. And this lead would've been no easy feat, 'cause he would've had to accurately pinpoint just how far above him it was in order to make the bullet meet the plane.

Consider also the amount of 50-caliber bullets it took to take down a World War II aircraft. To take down this one with only a single shot--especially considering the much smaller size of a round from this particular gun--would've required a direct hit to one of its jet engine's intake ports, not some random part of the hull. And even then it'd be a far cry from a guarantee.

So, the shooter would've needed a superhuman gauge of its speed, a superhuman gauge of its altitude, combined with a near-infinitely lucky shot to just the right part its body. Therefore, I'm calling this as a fabricated feel-good story for propaganda purposes.
Agreed, the article is ridiculous.

And.... in the picture, the fella is holding a shotgun.

Much of the news out of Ukraine is equally ridiculous. This one just happened to get my attention for all the reasons you pointed out and the picture of a dude holding a shotgun. I mean hell, Dick Cheney shot his buddy at close range with a shotgun and he was fine. Damn sure ain't hitting an aircraft with one of those.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:38 am
Therefore, I'm calling this as a fabricated feel-good story for propaganda purposes.
Sort of like Trump claiming a hole in one.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:06 pm
. I mean hell, Dick Cheney shot his buddy at close range with a shotgun and he was fine. Damn sure ain't hitting an aircraft with one of those.
He was "fine"?

For your next trick, have a drunk friend of a friend shoot you with a shotgun, take a trip to the ICU and tell us how you feel about it...
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Father Francis wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:59 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:06 pm
. I mean hell, Dick Cheney shot his buddy at close range with a shotgun and he was fine. Damn sure ain't hitting an aircraft with one of those.
He was "fine"?

For your next trick, have a drunk friend of a friend shoot you with a shotgun, take a trip to the ICU and tell us how you feel about it...
Oh now. Cheney said he was fine, he must have been. Like this guy with the shotgun, they said he shot down a plane.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I don't know how anyone can't believe the story, I mean the media reported it, right?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I don't know. All my Second Amendment enthusiast friends imagine this sort of thing happening all the time if war were to break out. I mean, imagine how much earlier Russia may have invaded if there weren't folks like this gentleman ready to take down multi-million dollar aircraft with a firearm? The NRA should invite the man to speak at their next convention.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:59 am
I don't know. All my Second Amendment enthusiast friends imagine this sort of thing happening all the time if war were to break out. I mean, imagine how much earlier Russia may have invaded if there weren't folks like this gentleman ready to take down multi-million dollar aircraft with a firearm? The NRA should invite the man to speak at their next convention.
This is a very good point. Seems like we were told recently that the US can't be invaded because the population in general is so heavily armed.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:23 am
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:59 am
This is a very good point. Seems like we were told recently that the US can't be invaded because the population in general is so heavily armed.
Yeah. Guess I have egg on my face now that a man proved a sophisticated military aircraft could, in fact, be brought down by a good guy with a gun. And it wasn't even an American-made AR-15!