Elvis Movie (I have to plug this one more time!)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Elvis Movie (I have to plug this one more time!)

Post by Some Schmo »

Alright, so my wife and I were wondering what to do tonight and decided it was time to give this movie a shot. Neither of us were that excited, but several people have told us to watch it, so we got it over with finally.

I thought the guy who played Elvis did a good job. Tom Hanks' character bugged the hell out of me. To be honest, I wanted to quit about 15 minutes in, but then it got to the controversy over the way he shook his hips, and it got marginally more interesting (and by the way, if that was an accurate depiction of America's reaction to him, it would seem the 50's were not the fantastic time people keep pretending it was. All I could think of was the idiotic things people are freaking out about now and realized little has changed. Zealots say idiotic crap). I wasn't aware he lived in a black neighborhood when he was young, listening to black musicians perform, so that part was interesting to me. I had only heard something like, "a black man taught him how to sing." I was interested in how heavy the influence was.

Anyway, it got interesting enough to stay to the end, but I readily admit I was glad when it was over. I thought they did a great job of recreating Elvis (as well as I know him, which is barely), but there was something about the tone of the entire movie that was off-putting to me.

I did enjoy the black gospel music, but that was the only real highlight for me.

Sorry, Jersey Girl. Not my cup of tea. I do think you need to be an Elvis fan (or at least, care about him somewhat) to like that movie.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hey Schmo,

I'm glad you gave it a shot. I briefly scrolled through my comments here and I don't think I even mentioned Tom Hanks. I found him really weird and I wouldn't give him any awards for his role in the film.

I know I mentioned the filming technique that was used. It took me a while to get used to it because I found myself pinging a bit of anxiety watching it at the beginning but then I got used to it.

But Austin Butler? Loved what he did with his portrayal of Elvis. For me, the best thing about the movie was the music, the sound quality, period costuming and sets, and Austin Butler as Elvis.

And yes, Elvis grew up in a Black neighborhood. There's some people who say he stole his music from the Black community but the thing is that it WAS his music. I absolutely loved the Black Gospel music.

If you're interested, there's a thing on youtube called Elvis and the Black Community where various Black music artists comment on him.

Say, I will get back on that other thread we were on. I've been finishing up appointments and just haven't felt like posting very much. Let's just say that my attitude was lacking and it didn't have anything to do with the board. :evil:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:57 am
Hey Schmo,

I'm glad you gave it a shot. I briefly scrolled through my comments here and I don't think I even mentioned Tom Hanks. I found him really weird and I wouldn't give him any awards for his role in the film.
I kept thinking that he must have watched whatever footage there was of the Colonel to get the accent down, but man, there was something really unnerving about his performance. It has to be my least favorite role he's played. It didn't work for me. I think it was the first time I watched one of his movies and kept remembering it was him. Good actors (like him) usually make me forget who's playing the character.
I know I mentioned the filming technique that was used. It took me a while to get used to it because I found myself pinging a bit of anxiety watching it at the beginning but then I got used to it.
There was definitely something unsettling about it. I think I know what you're talking about.
But Austin Butler? Loved what he did with his portrayal of Elvis. For me, the best thing about the movie was the music, the sound quality, period costuming and sets, and Austin Butler as Elvis.
Agreed. The sound was good, and Butler was excellent. And if I'm honest, I kind of enjoyed the lead up to the first concert in Vegas at the International when they were practicing, and he's directing his band and the singers. That scene was probably the best in the movie for me.
And yes, Elvis grew up in a Black neighborhood. There's some people who say he stole his music from the Black community but the thing is that it WAS his music. I absolutely loved the Black Gospel music.

If you're interested, there's a thing on youtube called Elvis and the Black Community where various Black music artists comment on him.

Yeah, upon reflection, I suppose that was my biggest takeaway from the film: he loved not only black gospel music, but the black community itself. I've come away from the film hoping that was all accurate.
Say, I will get back on that other thread we were on. I've been finishing up appointments and just haven't felt like posting very much. Let's just say that my attitude was lacking and it didn't have anything to do with the board. :evil:
Your personal life should always take precedence over this board, so take your time. 'S'all good.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Oh yeah! The creation of the Vegas sound was awesome! And you know, I'm not particularly fond of his music in that era but it was so cool watching the sound come alive!

Spoil it, Jersey! Okay I will!

Vegas rehearsal - Elvis (2022)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx2VU8b-EI4

Here's a vid of the real thing. Not exactly the same effect but still.

ELVIS PRESLEY - Polk Salad Annie ( Rehearsal - August 1970) New Edit 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv6Epy3pjUc

Schmo, what did you think of the ending? I didn't expect the switch to the real Elvis. I went straight to tears.

If only he could've gotten decent health care...
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

One of the most beautiful men I've ever laid eyes on.

Gorgeous human...

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:21 am
Schmo, what did you think of the ending? I didn't expect the switch to the real Elvis. I went straight to tears.

If only he could've gotten decent health care...
My wife and I looked at each other and were asking, is this real footage? I actually have some personal memories concerning my parents and Elvis, so that scene brought back the past, primarily because he's pretty hefty in that footage. You can see it in his face.

Yeah, his early death is sad. I can't help but think it was a combination of pills and overexertion over several performances. I don't know if the Colonel pushed him too hard or if he was just into performing the way he did, gut you've got to think all those pills combined with a massive workout every night would be pretty hard on his body.

Of course, I'm taking the movie at its word, which is fraught with danger. I don't want to pretend to know the facts on Elvis. When I watched Bohemian Rhapsody, I knew what was right and wrong, because I followed Queen while Freddie was alive (and when he died, I was upset for a while). Elvis is mostly unknown to me.

It occurs to me that my relationship with Elvis is similar to my relationship with Star Trek. Other than neither of them really appealing to me personally, I don't like either largely because they were important to people I didn't respect growing up.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

My wife and I looked at each other and were asking, is this real footage? I actually have some personal memories concerning my parents and Elvis, so that scene brought back the past, primarily because he's pretty hefty in that footage. You can see it in his face.
Yes, that was real. I think it was 6-8 weeks before his death. On the big screen it was just shocking when they cut to it. He was so damaged.
Yeah, his early death is sad. I can't help but think it was a combination of pills and overexertion over several performances. I don't know if the Colonel pushed him too hard or if he was just into performing the way he did, gut you've got to think all those pills combined with a massive workout every night would be pretty hard on his body.
Overall heart disease I think. Unhealthy lifestyle including diet and drug abuse. Also read it was a heart attack, drug overdose, and other sources say heart failure. I thought I read somewhere that he was also diabetic. I dunno...with celebrities it's hard to sort truth from fiction.
Of course, I'm taking the movie at its word, which is fraught with danger. I don't want to pretend to know the facts on Elvis. When I watched Bohemian Rhapsody, I knew what was right and wrong, because I followed Queen while Freddie was alive (and when he died, I was upset for a while). Elvis is mostly unknown to me.
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody! I didn't know tons about Queen or Freddie Mercury but I did scour youtube for performances before I ever saw the movie. I tend to binge watch things like that so by the time I saw the movie I felt fairly prepared for it. I've always known more about Elvis. I love to know the story of people. What their influences were, what their struggles were, all of that sort of thing. I love learning about it here on the board about posters even.
It occurs to me that my relationship with Elvis is similar to my relationship with Star Trek. Other than neither of them really appealing to me personally, I don't like either largely because they were important to people I didn't respect growing up.
I'm the opposite. As far back as I have memory, Elvis was part of the background of my early life. I lived with a teenage aunt and all of my family danced to various styles of music on the record player and radio. I learned to dance to rock n' roll with my aunt watching American Bandstand after she came home from school. I must've been the only willing candidate* in the family or too young to object! :lol:

*I lie. I loved it from the start!

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I wanted to say this about early Rock n' Roll. When I was growing up there was a thing with church about how you shouldn't dance, swear, play cards, or smoke.

My family did all of those things. ;)

Slava Ukraini!