Elvis Movie (I have to plug this one more time!)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Elvis Movie (I have to plug this one more time!)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Friends,

The Elvis Movie is starting to disappear from theaters. If you have not gone to see this, I urge you to do so. Being someone who going back to my earliest memories and doesn't know a world where Elvis didn't exist in it until his untimely death, as well as a fan of Rock n' Roll, I assure you that I am not so easily impressed by Elvis imitators.

In this film, Austin Butler does not imitate Elvis. He embodies the man. He wears his skin and inhabits his soul.

If I had to pick just one remarkable thing to share about the movie, it's that it is truthful and pulls no punches in telling the story of Elvis.

The period sets and costuming, the recreation of significant concerts, the use of a kind of chaos technique that threads throughout the movie, the sound quality, music and singing, are simply astounding. When you find yourself at the end of this 2hr, 39 min movie you will feel like hardly any time has passed at all and wish you could stay with the film longer.

In a word, this movie is a MASTERPIECE.

If you have a chance, please go see it in a theater before it leaves. It lends itself to the big screen. You won't be disappointed! I've seen it twice, and although I've got it pre-ordered from Amazon, I'm considering going back to see it one more time on the big screen.

Do it. It's glorious!

Jersey
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
Prophet

Re: Elvis Movie (I have to plug this one more time!)

Post by msnobody »

Watched the movie from home last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Here's a question: do you think people who never cared for Elvis' music would enjoy this movie?

It's streaming on HBO Max so I've been tempted to watch it, but I just don't care about Elvis. I suppose I've been tempted just for the history, but since movies aren't known for historical accuracy, I'm not sure what I might get out of it.

I saw that Tom Hanks is in it, and he rarely disappoints, so that's another temptation. I don't know... would it really be worth the time for an indifferent observer?
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm
Here's a question: do you think people who never cared for Elvis' music would enjoy this movie?
YES.
It's streaming on HBO Max so I've been tempted to watch it, but I just don't care about Elvis. I suppose I've been tempted just for the history, but since movies aren't known for historical accuracy, I'm not sure what I might get out of it.
I'm telling you, it lends itself to the big screen. The first showing I went to was on a regular theater screen, the second time was a huge XD theater. It's not your regular biopic, it's spectacular. If you don't want to go to the theater to see it then DO watch it on HBO Max and I hope you have a good size screen to watch it on.

So I can say this. A younger person in our family (who never knew life with Elvis unlike myself) invited me to go with him and I jumped on it. He didn't really know much of anything about Elvis except the Vegas type Elvis, probably some of his early tunes, and something about Captain Marvel. When we got back to the car we BOTH started gushing over the movie and we discussed it at length. At length! And vowed right then and there to go back and see it again.

Don't really care about Elvis? That's ok. Maybe you care about American history. Maybe you care about different flavors of American culture and seeing them develop over a period of 3 decades. Maybe you care about truth. Maybe you care about the origins and history of a person that you think you already know...and perhaps don't really know at all. Maybe you like a good flick that stirs every emotion you have.

The story is NOT about Rock n' Roll and yet, it is. I have to say the music is authentic and sound quality is so good it's like you are sitting right in front of him and all the other musicians that are portrayed. It's probably like getting an infusion that enters your body through an IV.
I saw that Tom Hanks is in it, and he rarely disappoints, so that's another temptation. I don't know... would it really be worth the time for an indifferent observer?
It runs 2 hours and 40-ish minutes. It goes by so fast you won't even realize you're at the end until you're at the end. And then you'll wish it wasn't the end. If I could compare this movie to another movie of it's type, I would.

But I can't.

If you just landed from another planet and never heard nor had seen Elvis, you'd like this movie. The fact that we DO know Elvis makes it more glorious, exciting and poignant all that the same time. It'll take advantage of every emotion you have got.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:52 pm
Wasn't it awesome!

I saw it twice in the theaters! I knew the first time I saw it (discussed in my reply to Schmo) that I'd go back and see it again and I did. The second time was on in an XD theater. WOW. I don't know if IMAX would be the absolute best, but the XD was awesome!

At the very, very, start of the film, I thought I wasn't going to like it. Then it sort of grabs you and takes you off and away with it!

If I have a chance to squish it into this week, I'll go see it a third time.

I'm happy to hear that you saw it and enjoyed it!

Slava Ukraini!
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:01 pm
msnobody wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:52 pm
Wasn't it awesome!

I saw it twice in the theaters! I knew the first time I saw it (discussed in my reply to Schmo) that I'd go back and see it again and I did. The second time was on in an XD theater. WOW. I don't know if IMAX would be the absolute best, but the XD was awesome!

At the very, very, start of the film, I thought I wasn't going to like it. Then it sort of grabs you and takes you off and away with it!

I'm happy to hear that you saw it and enjoyed it!
My wife and I watched and enjoyed it, Jersey--albeit on the small screen. It was a movie I would have passed on without your recommendation. So, thank you.

I agree that it was very well done. I anticipate some Oscar nominations.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Well, I wasn't really impressed with the script, but any movie about Elvis is going to have very high expectations from me. I didn't like how it focused so much on the manager, who was played by none other than Tom Hanks. I don't want the best acting to come from some nemesis character few people even knew existed. I wished it would have focused more on his transitioning from music to movie making, and his relationship with his daughter.

"Oh hush little baby, don't you cry,

you know your Daddy is bound to die"...

That song wasn't even in the movie unless I missed it.

I also didn't like the suggestion that Elvis was having financial issues. Despite being ripped off by his manager, when he died he was still worth roughly $100 million in todays dollars.

Reviews said the movie didn't pull any punches, but I think it did. Elvis was a serial adulterer and heavy drug user which was mostly glossed over in the film.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:05 pm

I also didn't like the suggestion that Elvis was having financial issues. Despite being ripped off by his manager, when he died he was still worth roughly $100 million in todays dollars.
Did you do the math on that? How?

Slava Ukraini!
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:02 am
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:05 pm

I googled it and some site said he was worth $20 million at his death. I then adjusted it for inflation.

** ETA: Ok I just double checked and apparently that site had already adjusted for inflation, so his net worth was $20 million.

There is no doubt he got ripped off by his manager, but that should hardly be the focus of his legacy. But it wasn't like he was near bankruptcy like other movie icons such as John Wayne.

His daughter today is worth $50 million, so I assume he's still making money for his family via royalties.

I remember the day Elvis died. I had just turned 7 and we were living in Germany. I was reading a Fantastic Four comic and my Mom was blasting the stereo while vacuuming our flat. When the news came over the air that Elvis had died, she stopped what she was doing and had a legitimate freak out.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:15 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:02 am

I googled it and some site said he was worth $20 million at his death. I then adjusted it for inflation.

** ETA: Ok I just double checked and apparently that site had already adjusted for inflation, so his net worth was $20 million.

There is no doubt he got ripped off by his manager, but that should hardly be the focus of his legacy. But it wasn't like he was near bankruptcy like other movie icons such as John Wayne.

His daughter today is worth $50 million, so I assume he's still making money for his family via royalties.
He was worth less than 5 million at his death. He would be worth 20 million today, yes. Not only was Parker soaking him, so was RCA.

Slava Ukraini!