Elvis Movie (I have to plug this one more time!)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Elvis Movie (I have to plug this one more time!)

Post by Binger »

I saw it in the theater. I though Hanks' acting was awful and the character he played, while historically relevant, was overweighted in a show about Elvis.

Compared to the Queen and Elton movies, this was a massive disappointment.

My biggest issue with the movie was the editing. The flash, flash, flash, flash, flash editing with 30-45 scene changes per minute was annoying. It is a movie, not an episode of pimp my ride.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

If it were a depressing situation where the theft left him penniless I could see it being a major theme of the flick, but Elvis never had to adjust his spending habits because of it. He lived as the King that he was until his death. I just think more focus should have been placed elsewhere. If Elvis were alive and writing his own autobiography, I doubt he'd even devote a chapter to this.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:51 pm
I'm telling you, it lends itself to the big screen. The first showing I went to was on a regular theater screen, the second time was a huge XD theater. It's not your regular biopic, it's spectacular. If you don't want to go to the theater to see it then DO watch it on HBO Max and I hope you have a good size screen to watch it on.
I'm public theater averse, so I have a home theater in the basement. Includes a pretty big 4K screen (85").
Don't really care about Elvis? That's ok. Maybe you care about American history. Maybe you care about different flavors of American culture and seeing them develop over a period of 3 decades. Maybe you care about truth. Maybe you care about the origins and history of a person that you think you already know...and perhaps don't really know at all. Maybe you like a good flick that stirs every emotion you have.

The story is NOT about Rock n' Roll and yet, it is. I have to say the music is authentic and sound quality is so good it's like you are sitting right in front of him and all the other musicians that are portrayed. It's probably like getting an infusion that enters your body through an IV.
Ok then, I'll give it a shot (because I do care about American history). I'll let you know what I think.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:35 am
If it were a depressing situation where the theft left him penniless I could see it being a major theme of the flick, but Elvis never had to adjust his spending habits because of it. He lived as the King that he was until his death. I just think more focus should have been placed elsewhere. If Elvis were alive and writing his own autobiography, I doubt he'd even devote a chapter to this.
Well you are welcome to your opinion no matter how wrong you are, Mr. Negative Nancy.

:lol:
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:04 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:51 pm
I'm telling you, it lends itself to the big screen. The first showing I went to was on a regular theater screen, the second time was a huge XD theater. It's not your regular biopic, it's spectacular. If you don't want to go to the theater to see it then DO watch it on HBO Max and I hope you have a good size screen to watch it on.
I'm public theater averse, so I have a home theater in the basement. Includes a pretty big 4K screen (85").
Don't really care about Elvis? That's ok. Maybe you care about American history. Maybe you care about different flavors of American culture and seeing them develop over a period of 3 decades. Maybe you care about truth. Maybe you care about the origins and history of a person that you think you already know...and perhaps don't really know at all. Maybe you like a good flick that stirs every emotion you have.

The story is NOT about Rock n' Roll and yet, it is. I have to say the music is authentic and sound quality is so good it's like you are sitting right in front of him and all the other musicians that are portrayed. It's probably like getting an infusion that enters your body through an IV.
Ok then, I'll give it a shot (because I do care about American history). I'll let you know what I think.
I'd love to hear your impressions! Your home theater sounds awesome!

by the way, I've been meaning to ask if you ever got the furniture delivered??
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:19 am
Heh... funny you should ask. We just passed our one year anniversary ordering our furniture, and we still haven't gotten our end tables (we have gotten everything else though). Crazy!

They offered to give us something else, but the end tables match the coffee table, so we're waiting.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:50 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:19 am
Heh... funny you should ask. We just passed our one year anniversary ordering our furniture, and we still haven't gotten our end tables (we have gotten everything else though). Crazy!

They offered to give us something else, but the end tables match the coffee table, so we're waiting.
That is just nuts!

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:07 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:01 pm

Wasn't it awesome!

I saw it twice in the theaters! I knew the first time I saw it (discussed in my reply to Schmo) that I'd go back and see it again and I did. The second time was on in an XD theater. WOW. I don't know if IMAX would be the absolute best, but the XD was awesome!

At the very, very, start of the film, I thought I wasn't going to like it. Then it sort of grabs you and takes you off and away with it!

I'm happy to hear that you saw it and enjoyed it!
My wife and I watched and enjoyed it, Jersey--albeit on the small screen. It was a movie I would have passed on without your recommendation. So, thank you.

I agree that it was very well done. I anticipate some Oscar nominations.
It felt crazy at the beginning but once I got used to the stylistic technique threaded throughout, the movie left me no choice but to let it take me away. And yes, I agree about Oscar nominations. Tomorrow (Thurs) is the last showing in our area. If I can manage to break away from our plans, I'm going back to see it one more time on the big screen.

I can't recall any movie in recent memory where I couldn't wait to see it again until it came out on DVD or Blu Ray. This one was different in every way possible. The big screen was everything for this one.

I'm glad you both liked it. I've intentionally not discussed details in my posts so as to allow folks who did choose to see it, digest the movie on their own. I will say this though, I don't think I've ever felt so emotionally slammed around by a movie ever before as I did this one. Totally had me at it's own mercy.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I'm finally going to link to the first trailer.

Baz Luhrmann’s ELVIS | Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDLRvjHVOY

Slava Ukraini!
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

The best Elvis documentary is from 1981 called This is Elvis. I remember watching it when I was 11 and then again later in my teens. This was more than two hours of behind the scenes footage of Elvis' life.

You can see many excerpt clips on youtube like this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laszdRd6AJ8

Or watch it all on HBO MAx.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18