Oberlin pays the $36 million price for its racial obsession

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Oberlin pays the $36 million price for its racial obsession

Post by ajax18 »

Oberlin College is finally being forced to pay the price for its progressive obsession with race and racism. That price is $36.59 million.

After dragging out a legal fight for years and losing its final appeal, Oberlin will pay that amount to Gibson’s Bakery. A jury found that Oberlin had defamed the bakery after the store owner’s son, Allyn Gibson, had chased down a student who attempted to steal a bottle of wine. That student happened to be black, as were the two students with him. The three of them beat Gibson in the street until police arrived, and the students later pleaded guilty to assault, with the attempted shoplifter pleading guilty to robbery as well.

Students at Oberlin began protesting the bakery as racist soon after, alleging that the shoplifter was merely racially profiled. The students claimed without evidence that the bakery had a “long account of racial profiling and discrimination.” The Oberlin Student Senate passed a resolution demanding that the university condemn the bakery.

Dean of Students Meredith Raimondo and Multicultural Resource Center Director Antoinette Myers were quick to side with the shoplifter. Raimondo handed out flyers, organized protesters, and instructed a subordinate to “contact the college’s supplier of food for its dining halls” to get them to cease relations with Gibson’s Bakery. In an email to Raimondo, Myers made her position clear: “I hope we rain fire and brimstone on that store.”

This debacle began in November 2016, and the jury handed down its verdict in June 2019. Oberlin did all it could to avoid having to answer for its staff participating in a smear campaign, dragging out the process so long that two of the Gibsons died before they could see justice. The university was “disappointed” that its final appeal failed, meaning it couldn’t just smear small family businesses for free whenever it wants.

It isn’t like the money is a problem for the university, either. Oberlin has an endowment of nearly $1 billion.

Oberlin administrators saw their liberal mob of students set out to smear a bakery for opposing shoplifting and decided to join them. The university was consumed by its liberal obsession with race and fought reality every step of the way, hoping to run out the clock and bleed Gibson’s Bakery dry while denying the millions it owed.

In a truly just world, Oberlin would be shuttered for good after its smears and legal stunts. Instead, we will have to settle for a $36 million payment and the knowledge that the university is rotten to its core with racial politics. The Gibsons did not deserve the treatment they received from Oberlin and its staff and students, but hopefully they can take some solace in this victory.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers ... a993ec115f
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Oberlin pays the $36 million price for its racial obsession

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Good. It looks like the justice systemworked in this case. Happy for the business owners and the assault victim that they could receive justice.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:01 pm
Good. It looks like the justice systemworked in this case. Happy for the business owners and the assault victim that they could receive justice.

- Doc
It looks like a huge waste of money to me. Do you have any ideas on how to make this more efficient? How would you feel about paying tuition to Oberlin college for one of your children to fund this kind of thing? I guess in a way all taxpayers fund this now with the transfer of student loan debt responsibilities from borrowers to the taxpayers.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Were the perps arrested and charged?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax,

I thought it was going to be centuries before right-wingers can get a fair trial?
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:57 pm
Ajax,

I thought it was going to be centuries before right-wingers can get a fair trial?
It will be. This case was especially absurd and took an enormous amount of money to fight. The fact that Oberlin college gets taxpayer and tuition money to carry on cases like this for years is horrendous.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What's with using the Ajax and Hawkeye personas in the same thread?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace