Humans as Physical Political Pawns

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Humans as Physical Political Pawns

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Right now, there is a small, but growing trend -- which has a seemingly large amount of support from Republicans -- of subversively busing and flying immigrants to other states, and abandoning them.

I am hopeful that my hypothetical will at least give anyone here (or reading), who is supportive of this, a moment to reflect and reconsider.

If pro-choice California where to start busing the hundreds of people that enter its foster system every week to pro-life Virginia, and abandoned them at politically motivated locations, would that be something that would be similarly supported? If pro-choice New York started doing the same with pro-life Alabama, quintupling the size of their foster system, would that be something you would support?

In my opinion, there is an abject cruelty in what is being done. These families and individuals aren’t being transported and abandoned out of concern for their own wellbeing. They are being transported and abandoned because all collateral damage is justifiable if it gets cheers from the base.

This is not to say there isn't a real on-going humanitarian crisis at our southern border. Texas definitely doesn't receive the federal funds and support it should. As an example, Arizona receives over 100 times more in federal funds, per person, than Texas does. I’m not suggesting that Texas needs to become an extreme welfare queen moocher state, like De Santis runs, but the federal government needs to step up and help the border states who are on the frontline of the humanitarian crisis.

Abandoning humanity just to score political points though isn't the answer.

[This space reserved for "yabut," and "whatabout"]

ETA: For reference.
Xenophon
God

Re: Humans as Physical Political Pawns

Post by Xenophon »

Yeah the political theater of it is actually disgusting to watch.

If nothing else couldn't the $12 million earmarked for this in Florida (how much are those freaking plane tickets man) have gone directly to supporting efforts at the border instead? I know it is just a drop in the bucket but it seems if Florida wanted to help Texas so much there are much more direct and impactful ways to do so.

I also don't make much of Martha's Vineyard being fairly overwhelmed by the problem. They have literally none of the infrastructure in place to deal with the issue.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The cruelty is the point.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:01 pm
The cruelty is the point.
But that provides only momentary delight to Trump's base.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

This wasn't considered cruel when Obama was busing and flying undocumented immigrants to different cities around the country. It's not like they had a place to stay in Texas either.

And as EAllusion always insisted, illegal immigrants are a net benefit to the economy. So every sanctuary city should be happy to have them. It's a gift. Be thankful for it.

If you're really worried about these people, why make us have to send them to you by bus or plane. Come get them and put them up in your own houses if necessary. Oh yes, I forgot. The left is only generous with other peoples money, not their own. You've been using these people as political pawns for 70 years! And there votes built you some really nice houses in Martha's vineyard. I see no reason you can't put them in your own houses.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:04 pm
This wasn't considered cruel when Obama was busing and flying undocumented immigrants to different cities around the country. It's not like they had a place to stay in Texas either.
I look forward to you providing your source that President Obama was busing and flying undocumented immigrants to different cities, with no advanced notice or communication, under false pretense, and abandoning them on the street.

I'm sure you have one, or else you wouldn't be making this comment in order to justify this calloused political theater.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:18 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
I look forward to you providing your source that President Obama was busing and flying undocumented immigrants to different cities, with no advanced notice or communication, under false pretense, and abandoning them on the street.

I'm sure you have one, or else you wouldn't be making this comment in order to justify this calloused political theater.
Oh the communities had notice. But they had no choice.

This is something that smaller towns have been doing to cities for many years now. The mayor of Miami went around and offered all the homeless people $100 to get on a bus that took them to Orlando and dropped them off.

So let this be your notice. As long as you're unwilling to enforce the border don't be surprised to see an infinite number of refugees in your backyard.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:24 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:18 pm

Oh the communities had notice. But they had no choice.

This is something that smaller towns have been doing to cities for many years now. The mayor of Miami went around and offered all the homeless people $100 to get on a bus that took them to Orlando and dropped them off.

So let this be your notice. As long as you're unwilling to enforce the border don't be surprised to see an infinite number of refugees in your backyard.
That's a lot of words to just to say you were full of crap, and making a false distinction.

Hawkeye wrote:
The left is only generous with other peoples money, not their own.
Remind me again how much states like Virginia and Florida take in federal funds vs. how much they contribute.

Surely, they aren't being generous with other people's money, and not their own.
You've been using these people as political pawns for 70 years!
I'm 42 years old.
And there votes built you some really nice houses in Martha's vineyard.
I live in East Las Vegas.
I see no reason you can't put them in your own houses.
It might be uncomfortable in my 2-bedroom home. Fortunately, I volunteer and contribute to local organizations like the Lighthouse Project which are uniquely equipped to coordinate with other organization to assist immigrants with housing, legalization assistance, and job placement. I volunteer and contribute to organizations like Serving Hope who make sure they are fed. I volunteer and contribute to organizations like SAFY to ensure that children have homes to live in, and mental health services to cope.

Don't project your sociopathy and disregard for the dignity of humans, based solely on where they were born, on me. Your choice to be this way isn't shared by me.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2JaIyunVo
It might be uncomfortable in my 2-bedroom home. Fortunately, I volunteer and contribute to local organizations like the Lighthouse Project which are uniquely equipped to coordinate with other organization to assist immigrants with housing, legalization assistance, and job placement. I volunteer and contribute to organizations like Serving Hope who make sure they are fed. I volunteer and contribute to organizations like SAFY to ensure that children have homes to live in, and mental health services to cope.
Then send them all to East Las Vegas. You allowed them in, so they're your responsibility.
Veritas
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Remind me again how much time you personally spend patrolling the border.
You allowed them in, so they're your responsibility.
I allowed them in? How exactly, did I personally allow them in?

Be specific.