Gov. deports undocumented workers from Martha's Vineyard

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Gov. deports undocumented workers from Martha's Vineyard

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Sincere question, from a statist/separatist standpoint in light of federal law:

Is there something on a federal level that prevents states like Texas from funding and installing border barriers on it's own land, and hiring it's own law enforcement to patrol borders? As I understand it, the Department of Homeland Security's change a year ago was regarding deportation. Is there a federal law that keeps states from investing in, and implementing their own tools to try to prevent illegal crossings in the first place?

If a state can try to mitigate illegal crossings on its own, the DHS change on deportations becomes kind of moot, no?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:59 pm
DeSantis is popular enough. If we can't enforce the border, this is the only thing we really can do.
Don't know about Florida but speaking for Texas, I agree in principle that if you happen to have a border in your state, and if people are crossing illegally, it shouldn't be just the responsibility of Texas to feed and clothe and whatever. It's a shared responsibility by all the states. I have no comment on the particulars as it's really not something delved into (I doubt you've delved into it either, Ajax), but in principle, if it's true that suddenly there are historic numbers of illegals crossing, and if the federal government isn't going to send them away, the federal government (representing the shared burden of all states) should provide in the interim.
Note that what Ajax is actually complaining about is the government actually settling refugees in locations other than border states. And actually settling refugees does not mean lying to them and providing them a fake map and a false address and dropping them off on the street with no notice to anyone.

Someone will likely be fired and/or criminally prosecuted for this. The "instructions" the refugees were given told them to register their new address with the wrong agency, making it possible for them to be deported for failing to register. DHS personnel recorded fake addresses for them from all across the country and then told them they had to appear for hearings near their "home address" as early as Monday. One was told to appear in Tacoma, Washington. Another in San Diego, California.

Not only was this a political stunt, it was a deliberate attempt to prevent these asylum seekers from complying with the law by giving them false information. It was literal sabotage of their rights as asylum seekers.

The a-holes who set this up now have a bulldog of an immigration attorney on their asses. I hope she makes them pay.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Obama has a $14 million home in Martha's Vineyard. And you're telling me that 50 illegal immigrants showing up there is a humanitarian crisis. Surely he has space for many more than 50. MacAllen, Texas, a lower middle class town of 450,000 people has over 1100 illegal immigrants dropped off every month by the Biden administration. Now Eric Adams says that 1000 illegal immigrants dropped off in NYC is stretching the cities resources to thin and wants federal money to fund it.
Not only was this a political stunt,
For the first time in half a century Sweden elected a right wing leader.

Before illegals were being bused into their town

After they arrive

Last edited by Hawkeye on Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:01 pm
Not only was this a political stunt, it was a deliberate attempt to prevent these asylum seekers from complying with the law by giving them false information.
Somehow, I’m not very motivated to see as Presidential the potential Floridian candidate who thinks that solving the border situation is achieved by sending a batch of 50 immigrants from outside of his state, to another state.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:01 pm
Not only was this a political stunt, it was a deliberate attempt to prevent these asylum seekers from complying with the law by giving them false information.
Somehow, I’m not very motivated to see as Presidential the potential Floridian candidate who thinks that solving the border situation is achieved by sending a batch of 50 immigrants from outside of his state, to another state.
We're going to implement a policy of remain in Martha's Vineyard while waiting for your asylum case to be adjudicated.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:35 pm
We're going to implement a policy of remain in Martha's Vineyard while waiting for your asylum case to be adjudicated.
Well, that’s a fine reward for the asylum petitioners. : D

Potential Floridian Presidential candidate believes that border crossers should be given living arrangements in big cities and posh vacation hamlets while poor Floridians are left to starve on iguana meat while dodging sinkholes.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:59 pm
Maybe you, Abbot and DeSantis should look into sending immigrants to this address:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lea ... YnNpdGU%3D
Indeed we should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2JaIyunVo
Well in that case, just do it. Quit talking, and do it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:26 pm
Obama has a $14 million home in Martha's Vineyard. And you're telling me that 50 illegal immigrants showing up there is a humanitarian crisis. Surely he has space for many more than 50. MacAllen, Texas, a lower middle class town of 450,000 people has over 1100 illegal immigrants dropped off every month by the Biden administration. Now Eric Adams says that 1000 illegal immigrants dropped off in NYC is stretching the cities resources to thin and wants federal money to fund it.
I don't think you know what humanitarian means. These people were lied to about where they were being taken. They were lied to about jobs being lined up for them. They were lied to about housing being available for them. They were lied to about which agency they had to register they're addresses with. They were lied to about where they had to be for official proceedings. They were lied to maliciously, with the likely consequence being that they would fail to comply with the law and be subject to deportation. All on the Florida taxpayers dime. Yeah, dropping 50 people off like that without the promised housing and jobs is a humanitarian crisis.

Luckily, the kind and generous people of Martha's Vineyard stepped up to mitigate the crisis brought on by the abject cruelty of DeSantis and his co-conspirators. I have no idea of what the politics are of those who arranged for food, temporary housing, and legal representation for the 50 men, women and children, but they represent the best of America -- something you can't see because of the ball of pure hatred you surround yourself with. So, you resent the Obamas having a big house. Big deal. You resent everything. They're lucky that they encountered the good people on the Vineyard and not some self absorbed, resentful, hateful guy that doesn't give two cents about America.

I'm 100% in favor of America as a whole picking up the tab for whatever extra costs asylum seekers are putting on communities, as well as helping asylum seekers move to where they can find housing and employment. But that's not what Abbot's buses are doing. He doesn't make any advance arrangements for the people on the buses. He doesn't even let NYC know that they're coming. NYC depends on charities that monitor the buses for advance notice, which gives them a 48 hour heads up. When they get on the bus, the asylum seekers are assigned the address of a random homeless shelter in NYC, although no arrangements are made for them to stay there. There are all kinds of notices that they need to receive and respond to, or they lose their right to seek asylum. It's a deliberate sabotage of their ability to receive and respond to government or court notices.

The buses are just another political stunt by a politician that doesn't give a damn about the people whose lives he is disrupting.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:35 pm
canpakes wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 pm

LOL. No you're not. Stunts like this have very likely cost you the mid-terms.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:26 pm
Not only was this a political stunt,
For the first time in half a century Sweden elected a right wing leader.

Before illegals were being bused into their town

After they arrive

They aren't "illegal immigrants." Asylum seekers are here legally.

Then move to Sweden, where you will be treated better.

How, exactly, does the Biden administration "drop off" 1100 people a week. Or do you mean that they are admitted to the U.S. as asylum seekers? Now, how many stay in MacAllen every month?
he/him