I could change my mind

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: What's the solution to the illegal immigration crisis? Sincere question.

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:46 am
DT: You seem to have an agenda that you're not willing to talk about.
There's no need to make things personal. I simply need some references. Do you have any?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:44 pm
I need a reference that construction workers and roofers pay payroll taxes.
The Social Security and Medicare contributions of illegal immigrants directly support older Americans, as illegal immigrants are not eligible to receive these services, although their children born in the United States are eligible for such benefits.[25] Illegal immigrants pay social security payroll taxes but are not eligible for benefits. During 2006, Standard & Poor's analysts wrote: "Each year, for example, the U.S. Social Security Administration maintains roughly $6 billion to $7 billion of Social Security contributions in an "earnings suspense file"—an account for W-2 tax forms that cannot be matched to the correct Social Security number. The vast majority of these numbers are attributable to undocumented workers who will never claim their benefits. For 2010, the Social Security Administration estimated that unauthorized immigrants and their employers paid $13 billion in required social security payroll taxes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_ ... s.%5B26%5D
Morley wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:49 am
This 15 year-old piece you scrounged up has nothing to do with people taking money back to Mexico.
doubtingthomas wrote:
It doesn't, but it's true. You can't pretend there's no problem. And we both agree some undocumented immigrants take a lot of US dollars to Mexico.
Yeah. What's your problem with the fact that undocumented immigrants take US dollars back with them to Mexico?
doubtingthomas wrote:
"The negative effect of immigration on wages is primarily confined to native workers in low-skilled occupations. Immigration lowers wages for those at the bottom of the economic scale...the introduction of immigrants in the labor force increases consumption, spending, and investing, which leads to an increase in GDP and economic growth."
https://digitalcommons.winthrop.edu/sou ... ances/217/

"Those panelists that found modest effects overall nonetheless found significant effects in industry sectors such as meatpacking and construction....Moreover, halting illegal immigration is not a panacea even for the problem of depressed wage rates for low-skilled jobs... Still, the effect of illegal immigration on the wages of low-skilled workers, who are disproportionately minority members, is a piece of the puzzle that must be considered by policymakers in formulating sound immigration policy."
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2728791
Do you read the articles at the ends of your links? One is pro-immigration, the other is unavailable, except to subscribers. Neither seems to talk about workers taking money back to Mexico. At worst, they are theorizing that immigration may depress wages of workers who are unskilled--an idea that is both debatable and not my issue (in other words, I'm not arguing the point one way or the other).

The one thing that I'm asking that you seem to keep dodging; the one thing I can't understand why you have an issue with: What's your problem with folks taking money back to Mexico?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:27 pm
Yeah. What's your problem with the fact that undocumented immigrants take US dollars back with them to Mexico?
There's no problem if they pay taxes and don't pay thousands to criminal organizations.
Morley wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:27 pm
Illegal immigrants pay social security payroll taxes but are not eligible for benefits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_ ... s.%5B26%5D
Do you have another reference specifically for construction workers and roofers?

And one has to wonder how reliable are these stats. Nobody really knows how many undocumented immigrants come here.
https://www.politifact.com/article/2019 ... rants-cro/
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:37 am
And one has to wonder how reliable are these stats. Nobody really knows how many undocumented immigrants come here.
https://www.politifact.com/article/2019 ... rants-cro/
Any uncertainty about how many undocumented immigrants come to the US has nothing to do with whether those who do arrive pay taxes or not.

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:37 am
Do you have another reference specifically for construction workers and roofers?
Thomas: Illegal immigrants don't listen to music!

Morley: Yes, they do.

Thomas: Show me the proof that they listen to music!

Morley: Okay. [insert proof of immigrant music listeners]

Thomas: Prove to me that blonde immigrants listen to music!

I'm done. Take care, Thomas.

edit: Grammar.
Last edited by Morley on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: I could change my mind

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:46 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:33 pm
The evolution of the thread title is cracking me up.
Would like to know your opinion.

"At the same time, a returning migrant is a person who has been able to achieve his/her original goals for migrating (e.g. has accumulated enough savings). The person may not have gained major skills because his goal was not to integrate into the host country but to work as hard as possible to save enough money to achieve very specific goals. In this approach, used primarily to analyze temporary labor migration, return is an expected and generally planned action, especially if the rest of the family remains in the home country, and the migrant has a reason to return."
https://ccis.ucsd.edu/_files/wp193.pdf
They benefited, the people who used their labor benefited, and the people who received their labor benefited.

All workers have an expiration date. Some people’s expiration date is sooner. Bonus with the hypothetical worker is their expiration date doesn’t result in a continuing societal drain afterwards.

Rising tide, and all that jazz.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:13 pm
The boyfriend of an ex-sister-in-law (Okay I wasn't really married to her sister)
Then she's your ex-girlfriend's sister.
My ex-sister-in-law still lives in Mexico, she is waiting for him.
Your ex-girlfriend's sister, you mean.

This isn't hard.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024