I could change my mind

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God

Re: What's the solution to the illegal immigration crisis? Sincere question.

Post by Morley »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:13 pm

We don't know how many undocumented immigrants come here through sophisticated subterranean drugs tunnels connecting the US and Mexico, but it could be a large number.

Yes, there are undocumented immigrants who return to Mexico with a lot of cash, it's way more common than you think.
DT, I get that this bothers you, but I'm not sure why.

Someone enters the US and works, and then sends or takes money home with them. We exchange goods and services with people of other nations all the time.

To my mind, when Romina Ortega, who comes here from Mexico, works in construction on my house, then goes home and takes what she was paid, it is no more onerous than when I go to the appliance store and buy a Whirlpool washing machine that was made in Mexico by her sister, Sophia. In either case, I don't care that some of my money is leaving the country.

International trade is okay, don't you think? Maybe you can help me out here.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:56 pm
Do undocumented construction workers pay taxes?
Morley wrote:
To my mind, when Romina Ortega, who comes here from Mexico, works in construction on my house, then goes home and takes what she was paid, it is no more onerous than when I go to the appliance store and buy a Whirlpool washing machine that was made in Mexico by her sister, Sophia. In either case, I don't care that some of my money is leaving the country.
Would it be okay to pay about 10,000 dollars to a criminal organization?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Construction workers

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:33 pm
The evolution of the thread title is cracking me up.
Would like to know your opinion.

"At the same time, a returning migrant is a person who has been able to achieve his/her original goals for migrating (e.g. has accumulated enough savings). The person may not have gained major skills because his goal was not to integrate into the host country but to work as hard as possible to save enough money to achieve very specific goals. In this approach, used primarily to analyze temporary labor migration, return is an expected and generally planned action, especially if the rest of the family remains in the home country, and the migrant has a reason to return."
https://ccis.ucsd.edu/_files/wp193.pdf
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:45 pm
Usually they do, yes. An undocumented worker will often use a fake social security number and pay FICA on their wages. This is money that will go into the system, but that the worker will never hope to collect.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:45 pm
Morley wrote:
Morley wrote:
Would it be okay to pay about 10,000 dollars to a criminal organization?
You're changing the subject. Why does it bother you that a worker will take money back to Mexico?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I am puzzled. A person from Mexico works in the US and gets wages normal in the US but like other people here he has expenses. He must buy food. He must pay rent utilities and transportation. He likely is sharing the rent expenses but it is still a chunk out of his wages. I do not see how he puts together the fantastical sums Thomas is proposing here. Yes he can take money back to Mexico or send it back to family. He is still paying expenses and taxes here.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:57 am
He is still paying expenses and taxes here.
I don't think a young undocumented immigrant needs to spend a lot of money. He lives with like 10 other young men. He has a 14-16 year old girlfriend/wife waiting for him in Mexico. He only stays here for like 4 years.

Is it immoral to pay 10,000 dollars to child sex trafficking organizations?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:46 pm
Usually they do, yes. An undocumented worker will often use a fake social security number and pay FICA on their wages.
It's not a fake social security, it's identity theft. Someone was using my social security in Arizona. But we can forgive that because most of them simply work in restaurants.

Do you have any evidence that most construction workers and roofers pay taxes?
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Matt Gaetz sought pardon related to Justice Department sex trafficking probe

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:22 pm
says man
No more "says man"?

I'm open minded. I am willing to change my mind if someone gives me a good reason to change it.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Binger wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 pm
WTF?

On the one hand, congratulations if you think you know what is a woman. I mean, you could be talking about anything, really.

But then again, on the other hand? WTF? That is an insane suggestion.
Why? Do you hate women?