Shannon Brandt

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Shannon Brandt

Post by Binger »

Has anyone here read anything about Shannon Brandt?
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Shannon Brandt

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I just googled, and... how absolutely horrific.

Alcohol, politics, and stupidity claimed an innocent life. Good lord.

Did the teen he killed follow him into the alley where his car was, or did he drive his car into the alley where the teen was? Either way the bond seems low, but if the latter, the bond is outrageously low.

And the parents knew the guy?

[Edited to fix yet another homophone mishap]
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:09 pm
Alcohol, politics, and stupidity claimed an innocent life.
I think this goes beyond stupidity, sounds like active paranoia was involved. Thankfully, he called 911 and turned himself in so he had the presence of mind to do that.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

So, is it okay to mention Brandt's motivation?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:50 pm
Sure. My interpretation is that our politics have gone nutty, and people are attacking others as though the opposition does not deserve to live.

This can be conservatives against progressives or progressives against conservatives.

Lots of ugliness going around.

So, we just had a student leave our program. I won't name names obviously. But this student, from what I can gather, was the epitome of a liberal snowflake having a meltdown. And that led this person to resign precipitously from teaching a class and leave our graduate program altogether.

From outward appearances, it seems that the first problem this person experienced was when a professor of European extraction did not speak about issues of race in the progressively prescribed fashion. This happened last year. The student had a fit and refused to work with that professor any longer.

The department coddled the student and allowed this person to work for another professor in the program.

Then, this year, one of our administrators sent a letter to the students reminding them to be civil to each other. This student made the issue personal and resigned from the program, citing the behavior of "certain male professors" as the reason for leaving. In other words, the student is now accusing professors in the program of being sexist without providing any details to back up the accusation.

I saw the email the administrator sent. It was extremely diplomatic, simply reminding all students to be civil to other students, and no gendered or racially insensitive language was used.

Sorry, but this is absolute madness. And, that this student would implode in this way, for the flimsiest of reasons, in a fairly progressive academic department that offers classes on racism in the Classics, has a DEI committee, etc., is evidence that there is a real problem.

Oh, maybe it is just one troubled student. And I guess there are always people out there who will fly off the handle and do idiotic and even deadly things. But it seems like, these days, political intolerance is the big flashpoint.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

If the tables were turned, binger would be whining about anyone condemning this person because due process hasn't been served, the man hasn't seen his day in court, witnesses have been neither interviewed nor cross examined! Always question our institutions!

As far as we know it was self defense. I mean he did say they were coming to get him. :roll:
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:50 pm
If the tables were turned, binger would be whining about anyone condemning this person because due process hasn't been served, the man hasn't seen his day in court, witnesses have been neither interviewed nor cross examined! Always question our institutions!

As far as we know it was self defense. I mean he did say they were coming to get him. :roll:
This is one of the stupidest posts you have ever made, veritas. You have made a lot of dumb posts, but this wins a prize.

As usual, it is nothing but BS. Must be nice having the help and luxury to say stupid stuff like this in a forum of your peers.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:29 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:50 pm
Sure. My interpretation is that our politics have gone nutty, and people are attacking others as though the opposition does not deserve to live.

This can be conservatives against progressives or progressives against conservatives.

Lots of ugliness going around.

So, we just had a student leave our program. I won't name names obviously. But this student, from what I can gather, was the epitome of a liberal snowflake having a meltdown. And that led this person to resign precipitously from teaching a class and leave our graduate program altogether.

From outward appearances, it seems that the first problem this person experienced was when a professor of European extraction did not speak about issues of race in the progressively prescribed fashion. This happened last year. The student had a fit and refused to work with that professor any longer.

The department coddled the student and allowed this person to work for another professor in the program.

Then, this year, one of our administrators sent a letter to the students reminding them to be civil to each other. This student made the issue personal and resigned from the program, citing the behavior of "certain male professors" as the reason for leaving. In other words, the student is now accusing professors in the program of being sexist without providing any details to back up the accusation.

I saw the email the administrator sent. It was extremely diplomatic, simply reminding all students to be civil to other students, and no gendered or racially insensitive language was used.

Sorry, but this is absolute madness. And, that this student would implode in this way, for the flimsiest of reasons, in a fairly progressive academic department that offers classes on racism in the Classics, has a DEI committee, etc., is evidence that there is a real problem.

Oh, maybe it is just one troubled student. And I guess there are always people out there who will fly off the handle and do idiotic and even deadly things. But it seems like, these days, political intolerance is the big flashpoint.
Something very similar happened to my friend who works with phd students. The students went bananas and threatened lawsuits and wanted transfers and asked for professors to be fired and removed from the university. Some of the complaints were triggered by discussions of male and female orgasms and what happens in the brain. The students felt that more than one professor, all male of course, were not sensitive to the class and the topic and they were sexist and on and on and on.

The school put up with it for a bit and gave one of the students time off and let her drop the class and then more students caught the snowflake.

I called him last week to see how this year was going and he says the new class of students appears to be a lot different. In a small selective program like that, I think we can all understand how and why the students in the next classes may be different.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:29 pm
From outward appearances, it seems that the first problem this person experienced was when a professor of European extraction did not speak about issues of race in the progressively prescribed fashion.
I am on the whole inclined to sympathise with the viewpoint you express. It seems to me that the term "snowflake" is not an appropriate one for people who express extreme hostility, often including demands that employment be terminated, to any academic who oversteps the very tight bounds they set for acceptable expression of opinion.

But may I ask - roughly what did this "professor of European extraction" actually say about issues of race that the person in question found unacceptable? And by the way, does "of European extraction" just mean what people often call "white", or does it mean he was born in a country in Europe?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Chap wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:33 pm
I am on the whole inclined to sympathise with the viewpoint you express. It seems to me that the term "snowflake" is not an appropriate one for people who express extreme hostility, often including demands that employment be terminated, to any academic who oversteps the very tight bounds they set for acceptable expression of opinion.
I like the way snowflake and meltdown go together. Keeps the metaphor consistent. But I take your point.
But may I ask - roughly what did this "professor of European extraction" actually say about issues of race that the person in question found unacceptable? And by the way, does "of European extraction" just mean what people often call "white", or does it mean he was born in a country in Europe?
I don't know exactly what was said, honestly. No one ever made me privy to that information.

Do I go around here talking about how I am of "European extraction"? If I mean white, I'll just say white.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow