So is Putin going to nuke us all or what?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: So is Putin going to nuke us all or what?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:27 pm
Ukraine is not just content to retake their invaded lands but aims to topple the Putin regime by marching on Moscow if necessary. For this reason Nancy Pelosi has upgraded the classification of Russia to a terrorist state. I can't see Putin being toppled without firing back with nuclear weapons first.
Oh, boy. Can’t wait for overt B.S. to be posted by a dingbat …
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:34 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:27 pm
UFor this reason Nancy Pelosi has upgraded the classification of Russia to a terrorist state.
??

Graham introduced a resolution all the way back in May to designate Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism, and received unanimous consent in July.
That's true. Tucker Carlson was calling out Lindsey Graham for this as well. I think they want to punish Russia and Putin for invading Ukraine. Tell me how this isn't going to result in nuclear war.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:41 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:34 pm

??

Graham introduced a resolution all the way back in May to designate Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism, and received unanimous consent in July.
That's true. Tucker Carlson was calling out Lindsey Graham for this as well. I think they want to punish Russia and Putin for invading Ukraine. Tell me how this isn't going to result in nuclear war.
Talking about Graham?

[facepalm]

picture

[/facepalm]

I feel bad that South Carolina had to choose between a democrat and that useless “F”.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
I might be overly naïve when it comes to the potential of this, or it could be a coping mechanism of hopefulness, but...

Putin doesn't strike me as suicidal. A nuclear strike on Russia's part would all but guarantee the fall of Putin, and to an extent, Russia itself.

If he were to reach that point (again, refer to my naiveté and hopeful coping) the order would still have to pass through channels and people to get carried out. Each person it goes through is a potential person who isn't a Putin sycophant.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:48 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
I might be overly naïve when it comes to the potential of this, or it could be a coping mechanism of hopefulness, but...

Putin doesn't strike me as suicidal. A nuclear strike on Russia's part would all but guarantee the fall of Putin, and to an extent, Russia itself.

If he were to reach that point (again, refer to my naiveté and hopeful coping) the order would still have to pass through channels and people to get carried out. Each person it goes through is a potential person who isn't a Putin sycophant.
So you think Putin is going to allow Ukraine to invade Russia and throw him out of power without retaliating with nuclear weapons first?

How many people in Russia have to sign off on a nuclear weapon launch before Putin can launch? If the Russian government had these kind of checks on dictatorial power, why did they allow Russia to invade Ukraine in the first place?
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:59 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:48 pm

So you think Putin is going to allow Ukraine to invade Russia and throw him out of power without retaliating with nuclear weapons first?
I don't think Ukraine will invade Russia. At most, they'll be doing some strategic cross-border stuff. But a march on Moscow, or St. Petersburg? I just can't conceive of it happening.

Even if they actually wanted to, they simply don't have the numbers.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:07 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:14 pm
Please explain how the US and NATO instigated the war.
Been there. Done that. Whatev.

https://www.cato.org/commentary/us-nato ... n-admit-it
It has become especially fashionable in such circles to insist that NATO’s expansion to Russia’s border was in no way responsible for the current Ukraine crisis. Many dismiss all arguments to the contrary as “echoing Putin’s talking points,” “siding with Putin,” or circulating Russian propaganda and “disinformation.” Leaving aside the ugly miasma of McCarthyism enveloping such allegations, the underlying argument is factually wrong.
Get ready for all of the above. And like, whatever man.
The gist of the Kato argument is that some Western military leaders were worried about the geopolitical consequences of Russia feeling isolated. But no one put a gun to Putin's head and said invade Ukraine or Russia ceases to exist.

The problem is that many of the countries that Russia considered part of its 'special sphere of influence' are no longer interested in being aligned with Russia. Do you say that Russia's interests in these countries trumps their right of self-determination? Putin shot himself in the foot. Sweden and Finland are now part of NATO. That would not have happened if Russia did not invade Ukraine.

If you are country in Eastern Europe, which political and economic model do you want? Which alignment offers you the most opportunity for freedom, growth and advancement? All those who believe it's the creaky, aging Russian kleptocracy raise their hands.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Like the Russians actually need a real pretext to pursue selfish (and apparently suicidal) geopolitical aims. They’ll just invent one or outright lie about it. Ukraine was and will always be on their agenda; the question is if the free world will allow another dictator to invade sovereign nations or not.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

I don't think Ukraine will invade Russia. At most, they'll be doing some strategic cross-border stuff. But a march on Moscow, or St. Petersburg? I just can't conceive of it happening.

I hope you're right.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:53 pm

I hope you're right.

Guess we’ll find out after they get done with their referendum. I wonder if the GQP will accept the results of that election?

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.