Has anyone here fired brown earthenware clay and

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Has anyone here fired brown earthenware clay and

Post by Jersey Girl »

So I went to the studio and got my questions answered by someone who works/teaches there and happens to have her own home studio. She says the clay looks like Speckled Buff earthenware clay. :) I can buy it there. I can work in the studio for a fee OR take it home to work on it, then bring it in to be fired in a two step firing process. The firing process is just like what I used when I did ceramic bisque firing...just different temperatures for the type of clay.

Here's the hitch. I can't fire for mass production or sales. :evil:

But what I CAN do is fire my experimental pieces to learn the process AND I can take a hand building class there which is typically offered once a month. Not sure I need a class and I can't do either the Nov or Dec classes because Nov is the show and Dec I'm taking a class for a kind of fiber art.

I can't do any of this before my show because you have to wait for a full kiln before they fire. But...I can still at least learn to do this and see how it goes.

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the glazes. They're just okay. Produce the effect I want but not in the exact colors I'd like. I can buy my own glaze if it's not too pricey.

So...they have everything I need ready to go but I'll have to be in search of another kiln option. Every place I checked before won't let you fire anything except the products they sell in their shops. I'll keep looking because while I can beg/pay for kiln space from a co-artisan/crafter, I'd be sharing my product with the competition so to speak.

I'd try to buy a small kiln but I'm quite frankly scared to death of them.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ETA: This is what I think the material actually is that I want.

https://www.lagunaclay.com/product-page ... -sculpture

Pay me no mind, I'm making notes at this point.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:04 pm

Jersey Girl. your comment tickled my curiosity. Looking at kilns on line I see a number of small kilns for modest prices but they are for glass or enameling. They do not reach temperature for that clay you show. There are small electric kilns that do but prices go over a grand.

An electric kiln is a safe device as long as you have a space for it. They are made of brick designed to contain the heat.If a heating coil breaks it stops heating which stops the firing but is not a danger.

There is some danger to the pocket book in getting kiln and in running it.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:04 pm

If you'd actually use it, you should go for it.

Ask the studio you're working with if they'll let you help load, program the settings, and unload theirs a few times. The intimidation factor will diminish significantly.

edit: Ha! ...and what Huckelberry said.

If you keep your eyes open, you can often find a used kiln for sale. There are many wannabe ceramists who find out that they no longer want to be ceramists.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley, that piece from Biloxi is both likable and perverse.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

I agree. Kind of like George Ohr, himself.

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:04 am
I agree. Kind of like George Ohr, himself.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/20144

Morley this is not actually the first time you expanded my art awareness but it is the most interesting one. I looked up a bit of information on line. Interesting fellow with very interesting work. He bursts into my mind bringing memories of the somewhat mad fascination I once had with ceramics many years ago. Ohr is a better artist than I as are many people.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:02 pm
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/20144

Morley this is not actually the first time you expanded my art awareness but it is the most interesting one. I looked up a bit of information on line. Interesting fellow with very interesting work. He bursts into my mind bringing memories of the somewhat mad fascination I once had with ceramics many years ago. Ohr is a better artist than I as are many people.
Thank you, Huck. You're too kind. Yeah, I think Ohr was a better artist than most of us.